• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Questions After Playing Through Minish Cap

MichiS97

Just a random Zelda nerd
Hello all :)
Before I start with this I just wanted to say that everything I know about the theories regarding Zelda comes from playing all those great games and reading Hyrule Historia, so I don't know very much about all of this, so please excuse and *kindly* correct any mistakes you can find in my allegations that I'm going to state in this post. Please also excuse the lack of structure in this text but I'm trying hard to get all my thoughts into text form and English is not my primary language.

So yeah, I completed every Zelda game except Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures and since the last couple of months I'm on my second run through the entire series (100%-completing each one) having finished Minish Cap for the second time yesterday and there were some things that caught my interest so I wanted to ask you if you could enlighten my in this.
If Hyrule Historia is to be believed Minish Cap follows Skyward Sword in the timeline, but does that really make sense?

So there apparently was some sort of evil plaguing the world and then a Picori came from the heavens bringing the light force and the Four Sword with him, which were used by a hero to banish the evil entities into some sort of chest using the Four Sword as a seal. But now there are two questions that are bugging me: Who or what was the evil? And more importantly: Who was the hero?
Just look at the following two screens from the intro:
TMC-Intro.jpgtmcvsss.jpg

When I first saw the scene with the pig-like creature and the people running away I thought that the pig-like creature was Ganon which would have of course thrown the timeline placement apart anyway but then I realised that it was just your typical moblin and even an octorock in front of it. So it seems that before the happenings of Minish Cap and some time after Skyward Sword the world was entirely cleansed of enemies, am I right? I mean the happenings with the anonymous hero and the four sword couldn't have happened before Skyward Sword because, well, there are enemies on the surface in these times. But then, why was there a need for the Four Sword when the Master Sword has already been created? (I will just keep assuming that what was sealed in that chest were regular enemies like Moblins from this point on) Everything after Minish Cap makes sense for me though, the seal is active again at the end, but then in Four Swords it is broken up once more, only then to be sealed again. What happens next is the Hyrulian Civil War so I guess you could say that it somehow broke during this era which would explain the enemies in Ocarina of Time with only the Four Sword remaining in the pedestal in the Elemental Sanctuary(c.f. Four Swords Adventures). Not bulletproof but yeah, it works...somehow.
But that still leaves me with the question who that hero was, I mean when you look at the picture from the intro it looks just like a reincarnation of Link (God dammit, they can't get anything straight without Link's help...) so is there still space left for a game between SS and TMC?
And another thing: It seems like the whole time through Minish Cap until FSA the light force was at least somewhat intact, does that leave us with two sets of omnipotent objects?

I'm probably just overthinking everything but I think that this is one of the many nice things about the Zelda saga, that it gets you thinking outside the box and makes your mind wander
So yes again sorry for any mistakes, I'd be glad if you'd correct me in any false allegations and maybe help me out here :)

Last edited:

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I have no idea...it says the picori came from the sky, but I highly doubt the Skyloftians were them.

Honestly? It would make more sense if MC didn't exist and OoT was the next game after SS. Don't get me wrong, MC is a good game, but it makes the timeline confusing. More than it already is.

As much as I love Minish Cap, its placement makes no sense. I keep thinking the hero in the intro was SS Link, but there's no way in hell that's a possibility. And if the Minish really did came from Skyloft, then how come nobody in Skyward Sword ever mention them?

I wish Nintendo talked about this more instead of just claiming that Minish Cap's the second game in the timeline. Some explanation will be useful.

When it comes to legends and origin stories, it can be difficult to tell what's entirely fact and fiction. For all we know, the depiction of the Picori in Minish Cap may be WAY off legendwise; based on passed down hearsay and folklore, they easily could have been giants (half-joking). It's best not to take the legends so literally...

Zurriel

BeStrongandofgoodCourage!
That Hero at the beginning, he's in the Minish Cap, he is the one to teach Link the last Sword move. Axel the beast pointed this out here, http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45792&highlight=Swiftblade

The Master Sword is only truly needed to fight Demise or Gannon. Vati was just a Wind Mage (Though powerful) thus the Four Sword was enough at the time. Though I have no Idea where the Master Sword was in all of this, I guess someone moved it.

As for why there was Enemies in OoT, Gannon was the cause for just about all of them when he got the ToP, before that I'm not so sure.

67ghost

no you're not
my theory is that the legends in the beggining retold SS but the stories changed after years and the skyloftians got confused with the minish in the retellings

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Who or what the evil is was moreso a set up for the story. Whenever you have a Zelda story, it likes to begin with "Long ago, their was an evil and a savior" to try and merge the current story with a legend. Sometimes the savior merges with the story sometimes the evil does (like in TP) sometimes just the weapon and sometimes everything does. Its not so much as to make you think there's an actual history (because what kind of game series would this be if it actually had continuity?) but moreso to get you prepared for the experience you are about to have. After all, the events of MC wouldn't weigh on the player as much, if there wasn't something to go on.

(One thing to note is that Capcom was responsible for this game, and while I don't think the lore is completely horrible, that would explain a bit more about why the lore is as it is)

Regarding your Master Sword question, there are many "omnipotent" objects in Zelda lore. Its a world of magic and the people continually find more magical items. The only power that is supposed to be be truly superior to all others is the triforce, as it holds the power of the original goddesses themselves. The Master Sword, as much as it pains me to say this, isn't the ultimate weapon. Its a legendary weapon designed specifically for repelling evil... or atleast it was, until SS retconned it (can't spell). When you think about it, it has to be paired up with all other sorts of weapons just to be able to put a dent in Ganondorf. The Biggoron sword is actually more powerful than the Master Sword, but doesn't hold the magical capabilities it possesses, which is why it couldn't seal Ganondorf. So creating the Four Swords, especially when the Master Sword is seen more as legend than actual history, isn't a bad idea. Why go looking for a sword that may or may not exist, when you can create one specifically to do the job at hand?

I'm probably just overthinking everything but I think that this is one of the many nice things about the Zelda saga, that it gets you thinking outside the box and makes your mind wander

You could see it like that. Or, you could be like me and see it as laziness. Seems to me the Zelda lore creators don't think things through and try to force us to use our imaginations to fill in tons of holes that shouldn't be there.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
All there is to really do is speculate. There is an unknown amount of time between Skyward Sword and The Minish Cap, a hundred years at least due to the 100th Annual Minish Festival, and therefore there is room for another game here.

As for the light force, I think this is the same thing as why Ghirahim wanted Zelda in SS. She (MC Zelda) likely has the same energy inside her because she is SS Zelda's descendant. If we look, the effects in both SS and MC are similar too. Demise regained strength from being weak and Vaati gained new strength. This is not as powerful as the triforce (I assume this was the second omnipotent object you mentioned). The triforce was able to grant wishes. So it is basically the light force, and then some. At this point, I believe the Triforce was in the Sacred Realm and none knew of its existence. If they had, Vaati would have set his eyes on that instead of Zelda.

The Master Sword is only truly needed to fight Demise or Gannon. Vati was just a Wind Mage (Though powerful) thus the Four Sword was enough at the time.

This is debatable. In FSA, a reincarnation of Ganon is the main villain. The Master Sword isn't present in this game either. Link uses the Four Sword to defeat him. This shouldn't have been possible basing off the reasoning that the Master Sword was necessary to defeat Ganon.

As for why there was Enemies in OoT, Gannon was the cause for just about all of them when he got the ToP, before that I'm not so sure.

I don't think Ganon is the cause of the enemies. Many were seen prior to when he got the Triforce of Power.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
my theory is that the legends in the beggining retold SS but the stories changed after years and the skyloftians got confused with the minish in the retellings
Sounds plausable enough...but, there's a problem with it. The minish are basically intelligent rodents. The skyloftians are humans who ride giant birds. They're too different from each other for there to be a mixup. If it was retelling SS, even after thousands of years, it would be more like: "Our ancestors lived on islands in the sky, and flew around on the backs of giant birds. Among them was the one we now know as the Hero of Men..."

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
At this point, I believe the Triforce was in the Sacred Realm and none knew of its existence. If they had, Vaati would have set his eyes on that instead of Zelda.

While I think its safe to say that Vaati didn't know about the triforce, I'm pretty certain the royal family did (and Sheikahs if they were around... in which case, if they were they should be fired for letting Zelda get turned to stone and the King get possessed.)

Zurriel

BeStrongandofgoodCourage!
All there is to really do is speculate. There is an unknown amount of time between Skyward Sword and The Minish Cap, a hundred years at least due to the 100th Annual Minish Festival, and therefore there is room for another game here.

This is debatable. In FSA, a reincarnation of Ganon is the main villain. The Master Sword isn't present in this game either. Link uses the Four Sword to defeat him. This shouldn't have been possible basing off the reasoning that the Master Sword was necessary to defeat Ganon.

Figures the one game I haven't played would be apart of this theory :) I like to think that there is a game coming out some time that will take place in between SS and MC and might awser some more questions. As for the Sword, I think it is like someone else started to say, there are many magic weapons out there with one always better then the other, the Triforce is the only truly all powerful thing there is. So whose to say is the Four Sword is just as or even more powerful then the Master Sword?

I don't think Ganon is the cause of the enemies. Many were seen prior to when he got the Triforce of Power.

That's pretty much what I was thinking of, I guess I didn't really complete my thought. Sorry about that, then again why does there have to be a cause for Moblins or other lesser enemies to show up, why can't they just exist with out someone trying to achieve ultimate power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom