• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Questions about Kokiri fairies

Uwu_Oocoo2

Just assume I'm lurking (and judging)
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
One of the prominent theories regarding this is that fairies die after their purpose is fulfilled. Hence why they disappear after healing. Their purpose was healing, they heal you and then die. This is usually used as a theory for what happened to Navi after OoT. I'm not sure I buy this, but its an idea. As far as them being part of a Kokiri, I don't believe they are one in a soul-sharing kind of way, but more that the Kokiri and their fairies spend so much time together they become very attached to each other. That way they are able to help and be an extension of each other's will, because they know each other that well.

Link&Midna

Thug Lyfe
But then why would Saria just act like it's normal?
She's just trying to be nice, I think. There's been this narrative in not just the manga but other licenced material that implies she's his only real friend, and besides she may know he's not a Kokiri (pretty obvious to her considering he came to the forest as a baby and grew up to his age while Saria and the others haven't aged at all).

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Site Staff
“Wow! A fairy! Finally, a fairy came to you, Link! Wow! That's great news! I'm so happy for you! Now you're a true Kokiri, Link! Is that right?”

According to this dialogue, Saria seems to consider having a fairy as a prerequisite for being a Kokiri.
She says this because normally only a Kokiri gets a fairy companion, not having one as a Kokiri doesn't change their race. Saria seems to know that Link isn't a real Kokiri, I think instances like this, or her claiming she knew he would leave the forest one day, imply it.

She says this because normally only a Kokiri gets a fairy companion, not having one as a Kokiri doesn't change their race. Saria seems to know that Link isn't a real Kokiri, I think instances like this, or her claiming she knew he would leave the forest one day, imply it.

I agree with you. I don’t take that quote literally, I think Saria was trying to make Link feel included. I’m just saying there are many references which indicate that it is considered abnormal to be a Kokiri without a fairy. Another example is the deku tree calling link ‘the boy without a fairy’. There are not multiple kokiri children without fairies if link is so easily identifiable. So I’m not sure I believe in the idea that they come and go as needed. I am leaning toward the belief they only lose fairies under extraordinary circumstances (e.g., being a sage, not being a real Kokiri in the first place).

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Site Staff
I agree with you. I’m just saying there are many references which indicate that it is considered abnormal to be a Kokiri without a fairy. Another example is the deku tree calling link ‘the boy without a fairy’. There are not multiple kokiri children without fairies if link is so easily identifiable. So I’m not sure I believe in the idea that they come and go as needed. I am leaning toward the belief they only lose fairies under extraordinary circumstances (e.g., being a sage, not being a real Kokiri in the first place).
It is abnormal for a Kokiri not to have one, but having a fairy isn't something I think of as a requirement to be a Kokiri. If the whole fairy assignment thing from OoT is true than at some point Kokiris didn't have a fairy and eventually they were assigned one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom