• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Question About the Newer Wii Model (NOT the Wii U)

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
So as a few of you know I asked for the black-colored Nintendo Wii for Christmas. I heard it got a revamp from its original model and is actually a lot better now. Is this true?

Some of the things I've heard:

1.) It has built in Wi-Fi now (I hope this is true!)

2.) It now sits horizontally and is smaller.

3.) It no longer has GameCube support. (I will be majorly disappointed if this is true.)

4.) The controllers have WiiMotion Plus built into them now. (Meaning the controllers don't even require the adapter for WiiMotion Plus anymore)

5.) It comes with two jackets for Wii-motes.

Thanks in advance for helping me figure this out :)

-LinkIRL

1.) It has built in Wi-Fi now (I hope this is true!) Nope, no Wi-Fi

2.) It now sits horizontally and is smaller. True

3.) It no longer has GameCube support. (I will be majorly disappointed if this is true.) Also true.

4.) The controllers have WiiMotion Plus built into them now. (Meaning the controllers don't even require the adapter for WiiMotion Plus anymore) They have had motion plus built in for about a couple years I think.

5.) It comes with two jackets for Wii-motes. Only one Wii-Mote

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
1.) It has built in Wi-Fi now (I hope this is true!) Nope, no Wi-Fi

2.) It now sits horizontally and is smaller. True

3.) It no longer has GameCube support. (I will be majorly disappointed if this is true.) Also true.

4.) The controllers have WiiMotion Plus built into them now. (Meaning the controllers don't even require the adapter for WiiMotion Plus anymore) They have had motion plus built in for about a couple years I think.

5.) It comes with two jackets for Wii-motes. Only one Wii-Mote

No built in Wi-Fi?! Even after Microsoft added it to the Xbox 360 slim? So they didn't include Wi-Fi AND removed GameCube support? Now I wish I had asked for an older Wii..haha!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
No built in Wi-Fi?! Even after Microsoft added it to the Xbox 360 slim? So they didn't include Wi-Fi AND removed GameCube support? Now I wish I had asked for an older Wii..haha!

No, this is for the Wii Mini, not the new Wii model. The Wii Slim definitely has built in Wi-Fi, but the Canada-only Wii Mini DOES NOT.

Kazumi

chagy
1.) The Wii has always had built in Wi-Fi. The black model of course does have Wi-Fi, however if you're talking about the (very new) Wii Mini, which is currently only planned for sale in Canada for some reason, that model doesn't have Internet capabilities at all. You shouldn't have to worry about that.

2.) The Black Wii is the same size as it's always been, and like all models of the Wii before it the Black Wii can stand vertically or rest horizontally. You may have been confused with the Wii Mini, which is smaller and can only sit horizontally as it is now top-loading.

3.) Unfortunately this is true, and with every model of Wii after the Black one was released GameCube support has been removed to keep costs down. This includes newer white ones as well as the Wii Mini (obviously)

4.) This is true, all Wii Remotes now come with Wii Motion plus built in. This includes the ones that come with the console as well as any purchased separately.

5.) All Wii consoles after the initial few runs come with jackets for the controllers. My Wii didn't as I got it back at launch. Personally I hate them, but yes they are included with the console and any new controllers.

I hope that I was able to clear up some misconceptions, and I also hope that you haven't gotten confused with the Wii-Mini, which is quite a bit different than the Black Wii.

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
1.) The Wii has always had built in Wi-Fi. The black model of course does have Wi-Fi, however if you're talking about the (very new) Wii Mini, which is currently only planned for sale in Canada for some reason, that model doesn't have Internet capabilities at all. You shouldn't have to worry about that.

2.) The Black Wii is the same size as it's always been, and like all models of the Wii before it the Black Wii can stand vertically or rest horizontally. You may have been confused with the Wii Mini, which is smaller and can only sit horizontally as it is now top-loading.

3.) Unfortunately this is true, and with every model of Wii after the Black one was released GameCube support has been removed to keep costs down. This includes newer white ones as well as the Wii Mini (obviously)

4.) This is true, all Wii Remotes now come with Wii Motion plus built in. This includes the ones that come with the console as well as any purchased separately.

5.) All Wii consoles after the initial few runs come with jackets for the controllers. My Wii didn't as I got it back at launch. Personally I hate them, but yes they are included with the console and any new controllers.

I hope that I was able to clear up some misconceptions, and I also hope that you haven't gotten confused with the Wii-Mini, which is quite a bit different than the Black Wii.

Thank you so much! Yeah I'm not talking about the Wii Mini, that's a complete waste of resources and money.

Get a WiiU buddy.

Give me $350 then? ;) Just kiddin'. I ain't made of money unfortunately. I have NEVER bought a console right after its released. There are NO worthwhile games available, and it's really glitchy right now. Plus it will go down in price a year from now, and a year from now there will most likely be worthwhile games out. The regular Wii is $129.99 brand new. Good deal if you ask me.

Give me $350 then? ;) Just kiddin'. I ain't made of money unfortunately. I have NEVER bought a console right after its released. There are NO worthwhile games available, and it's really glitchy right now. Plus it will go down in price a year from now, and a year from now there will most likely be worthwhile games out. The regular Wii is $129.99 brand new. Good deal if you ask me.
Yeah a regular Wii is the best thing, I only love mine for the Gamecube Backwards Compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom