• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Purchasing Soon - Wii or GameCube?

Wii or GC

• Wii

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gamecube

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Sin

Yes, yes, this thread's been made many times before, no doubt. Sue me.

Despite seemingly loving everything about the game, I've actually yet to purchase and play it.

So, simple question. Is it worth the extra whatver-it-is amount of money for the GC version and a GC controller or should I simply get it for the Wii?

I won't vote in your poll because that decision is yours to make but here is something that might influence your choice:

GameCube Advantages
- Full Camera control with the C-Stick.
- Rollgoal is incredibly easier.
- Sword attacks are much more precise, even things such as Hidden Skills (Shield Bash comes to mind).
- You can hold items like the boomerang for a moment before going to first person. This comes in handy if you just want a quick move.

GameCube Disadvantages
- Only two item slots. Every 3D Zelda had three, but the Z button is reserved for Midna.
- There's some slowdown if there are too many particles on screen. Nothing hazardous.

Wii Advantages
- There are four items on the screen, but it works differently. There's one active item (:cool:, while the rest are your on-screen reserve that you can swap on the fly.
- At least the aiming feels more natural on the Wii.
- The game is smooth the entire way though.

Wii Disadvantages
- The Wii version doesn't have complete control. It has the same control mechanic that OoT had.
- Rollgoal is nightmarish on the Wii.
- Fishing could have been more interactive, but it really doesn't matter. Reeling is the same as the B button.
- There's too much info on the right of the screen. It can obscure some things on the screen.

Miscellaneous
- There are some different glitches in each (GCN is generally less glitchy since it was released a bit later).
- There are different opening demo movies. They're mostly the same, but some things like Midna's appearance are cut differently.
- In the GCN version, holding B as you run makes Link hold his sword out as if getting ready to strike. Also, you can backflip off Epona in the GCN version, but you can't in the Wii version unless there are enemies around.
- There's a widescreen option on the Wii. I'm not putting it as an advantage or disadvantage because there's a flaw in it - you see some more of the view horizontally, but the top and bottom have been cut. It's kind of artificial due to the game's GCN programming.
- Link spins his sword differently. In the Wii version, you can do it on a whim, but you have to wait for it to recharge. In the GCN version, you have to stand still and charge it at anytime (or use the rotation method). Some prefer the Wii version, but others think it makes the game too easy.
- The game is mirrored on the Wii. That means that left and right are swapped. This is something done toward the end of development because it was noticed that most players used their right hand for the sword swings, and they didn't have time to recode a right-handed Link, so they opted to do this the easy way. This results in some errors such as the sun rising in the west, the Hylian language, and even the Triforce. This is a big change that can disorientate those used to one version of the world, but it's listed here because it's not necessarily a good or bad thing.

They both have their merits, but keep in mind that the game was built for the GameCube.

Earthtemple

The Windfish's Therapist
Wii. You can play GameCube games on it and buy Wii games, so you get a two-in-one package.

the post is asking which version of twilight princess. in which case i'd say gamecube only because I think the controls are more natural. The wii version has motion control, but its not like skyward swords. it's kind of a waggle of the wiimote, not a swing, so it is kind of artificial in my opinion.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

If you have the time, money, and perhaps the patience to play it twice, I might recommend playing both versions for the sake of posterity and perspective (maybe I shouldn't be saying this, though, because I've only played the Wii version). I realize you may not want to play both, though, so the main advantage to each version -

For the GameCube, this is the canon version of the game. The only thing non-canon about the Wii version is that it's mirrored, but according to canon, Link is left-handed and everything is on the left-right, east-west side assigned to it by the GameCube version such as locations on the map, Midna's eye, and the Fused Shadows.

For the Wii version, the main advantage is that the Wii controls makes the game just a ton of fun. I haven't played it in a while, so I don't know how well the controls have aged, and they'll definitely be rather simple compared to Skyward Sword's controls, but this was my first game with motion controls and at the time they made the experience for me.

DarkHylian

Sage of Darkness
What the hell.

The Wii has been out going on 6 years now, why is this a debate? Especially after the announcement of the Wii U, you shouldn't get either.

Pretty sure he's asking which version of Twilight Princess he should get, not which game system.

I would say go for the Wii. As others have said you can buy more Zelda games on the Virtual Console and you can play Gamecube games on it. So really you could get both versions if you really wanted to and play them on it. The Wii version is really fun though. It seems like the controls would get tiring with the wiimote but it's actually comfortable imo.

Kybyrian

The game was made with the Gamecube in mind at first, so it works out a lot better than the Wii version, in my opinion. It wasn't designed for the Wii, and just happens to feel a lot more natural on the Gamecube. When I first purchased it I made that purchase on the Gamecube version, and generally found it to play a lot smoother than on the Wii. I'm not hating on the Wii version, but if I were to be buying for the first time, I would definitely go with the Gamecube version.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I think the Gamecube version is better, because that's the platform it was originally designed for. Link is left-handed, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. The Hylian text is read left-to-right.

Also, the controls work a little better on the Gamecube, because the game wasn't designed with the Wiimote in mind at all. They did an admirable job of porting the controls to the Wiimote, but it's far from perfect. If you have a choice, get the Gamecube version. The Wii version is not horrible, but it's also not ideal.

Some people say that the Wii version is better because it allows you to play in higher definition, but that's not true. The Gamecube version of TP also has 480p and Widescreen support, same as the Wii version. You will see this if you play the Gamecube version on the Wii, or if you play it on a Gamecube that has the special component cables (not released in the US) attached to the Digital Out.

T

Toonwolflink418

with wii TP it is easier to aim things like the bow and hookshot, and it is very persice, and if you dont like that, you can turn it off :)

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I think the Wii because the Wiimote makes aiming a TON easier and the swordfighting's really fun!

CuccoFighter

時間の英雄
I would go with the gamecube because fighting isn't that amazing because you can just waggle the Wii-mote around but it doesn't decrease the fun factor! I think I like the GC version more because it was the first one I played and since the wii version is mirrored it was kind of annoying for me. But both versions are good! :)
-CuccoFighter:cucco:

skybird11

state alchemist
well, thinking of the future, you' re going to want the wii U right? well they may take away the gamecube compatability for it but will still play the wii games. also theres no reason to have a wii AND a wii U is there? so idealy you'd want the wii version.

now for my opinion. i haven't played the GC version at all so keep that in mind. i think the game will be more advatagous for the wii because you can aim easier and you can store items on the B button AND 3 other arrow keys where as for GC you have B, Y, X and Z is for midna so thats one less item slot. but with GC you have the classic feel i guess. but we are moving into a new gaming era and soon the classic controller will be obsolite. you might as well get acoustomed to the wii version.

so overall my opinion is WII

well, thinking of the future, you' re going to want the wii U right? well they may take away the gamecube compatability for it but will still play the wii games. also theres no reason to have a wii AND a wii U is there? so idealy you'd want the wii version.

That's a good point but if Nintendo decides to keep the virtual console for the Wii U, it is possible the GC library might be added thus making TP GC available for purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom