• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

PS4 and Xbox 720 to Have 'avatar-like' Graphics?

Nine-tailed Fox

FUS RO DAH!!!!
While browsing the internet, I came upon an artice on TVDaily claiming this:

“According to the co-founder of Geometrics, a company specializing in middleware for video games like Battlefield and Need for Speed, the next iteration of the Xbox and Playstation will have "Avatar quality" visual effects.”

Personally, I think it's utter bullcrap. If a $4000 gaming PC can't do it, there's no way a $400 console could. What do you guys think?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well I didn't find your specific TVDaily article, but I did find this cnet one: Next Xbox to feature 'Avatar'-like graphics? | The Digital Home - CNET News

According to Robison, whose company has been heavily involved in Xbox graphics hardware, the next iteration in Microsoft's console line will come "pretty darn close" to offering the graphical sophistication of 2009 megahit "Avatar." The movie set new standards in computer-generated graphics, and was celebrated by critics and graphical technicians alike for its breathtaking visuals.

And yes, it isn't possible for some consoles unless they themselves cost a ton of money. I could careless about graphics anyway; all the PC gamers care for is graphics and really I just care about game content. D:

Rumors like this should be taken with a grain of salt. The generation has lasted for seven and six years for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, respectively, therefore it's likely we'll see one if not both consoles unveiled at E3. Questions about the console's power levels will be answered then.

To be honest, new console launches are a rough time for the industry. I remember the barren year that was 2006-Gears of War, Twilight Princess, Oblivion, Okami-that's about it. 2012 was a poor year in gaming and 2013 doesn't look much better.

I'll be replaying my massive backlog from the 2007-2011 boom years before worrying about the next round of consoles. I'm sure whatever platforms are released will be competent enough to be dubbed eighth generation.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Personally, I think it's utter bullcrap. If a $4000 gaming PC can't do it, there's no way a $400 console could. What do you guys think?

How are they gonna do it, you ask? Why, by charging a monthly subscription of course! That's right. To keep the console running.

Yes this is a rumor but I honestly wouldn't put it past em. M$ looks at all those paying $50 a month for XBOX Live and get the crazy notion to just make it mandatory for everyone!
I heard this from a buddy of mine at Gamestop. Not sure as to the validity of the rumor or where he heard it from, but again, I wouldn't put it past em to pull a real d!ck move like this.

Zorth

#Scoundrel

I wouldn't agree, we don't have any "Avatar like" games yet. Plus; $4000 is A LOT of money for a gaming PC, it would be a real monster for that kind of money. So I'm absolutely certain that once those NextGen games start filling the shelves those computers will not have a single problem to run a game like that on the highest settings. Not only that but if you just want to be a little better than the Xbox 720/PS4 when they release or just on par with them you won't have to spend anymore money on PC parts than you would on the console itself. When I built my PC last year I didn't spend more money than I would on the new Xbox Slim yet it is much more powerful.

tl;dr :tired:

We can't know for sure because those games aren't out yet, and if you spend that much money on a PC you are most definitely be able to run such games since just to be on par with consoles tech wise you don't need to spend more money on parts than you do on the console itself.

Kazumi

chagy
I'm pretty sure that this is just something some no-name website came up with to generate clicks on their pages. First of all, I don't believe that there is a game-related company called Geometrics at all, and the article doesn't even list the names of any one whom they interviewed. That to start makes it very hard to take seriously, even more difficult than other similar articles.

Further more, as has been stated so far in this thread, it would be absolutely impossible for a console to produce visuals such as that, considering it's not even possible with top-of-the-line PC hardware. The difference between a movie like Avatar and a video game is that Avatar was entirely pre-rendered. It's essentially like the entire movie is one really long cut-scene. Additionally, the movie is only running about about 24 frames per second. A video game, on the other hand has to be actively rendered in real-time as the player is playing it. This many, many times more computing power than what can be essentially boiled down to playing a video file. Because of this, visuals in games will still take many more years before they can commonly be compared to the visuals found in movies such as Avatar.

Just to finish this off, there have been numerous quotes by other, legitimate game companies and people with names about next generation hardware, and they've all concluded that it can't do anything that a solid gaming PC now can't do. This makes sense of course, because the idea behind consoles is that they are a simple and cost effective way of playing video games. If they threw in hardware that one might find in a $1500+ hobbyist PC, then the console wouldn't be so simple or cost effective any more. So yeah, not only should you take this rumor with a grain of salt, but you should also completely discredit it, because there is no way that is possible.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
If this is true then I dont even want to imagine the price of the console! If the price is over £1000 then there is no point in buying based on graphical capability, people seem to forgot that games used to be abt gameplay not what HD visuals a game has or 3D Ect.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
No way. There's no way in hell these two companies will make that kind of technological jump. They need to compete with the price of the Wii U, and if they do this, their prices will be at the very least double what they need to be. I'm banking on the Nextbox and PS4 being only marginally more powerful than the Wii U, much like the Wii U is only marginally more powerful than the PS3. It's the smart move for them to make financially.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
In 30 to 40 years? Maybe. In the next generation or three? Absolutely not. Movie animations are easier than video game animations. Movie animations follow a script and are only supposed to do one thing at any moment and you don't have to make it all at once. You can make it in parts and overlay them. Video game animations have to do everything at once and has to account for non-scripted motion, much more difficult, relatively speaking. Rendering computer animations of that quality still takes more processing power than is affordable to anyone but a large company. It'll take a couple decades at least before computers that powerful can be affordable by the average consumer. And that's an optimistic guess. Forty years is a much closer guess. That's about how how it took for 1960s-1970s super computers to be surpassed by consumer-level computers.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Rumors like this should be taken with a grain of salt. The generation has lasted for seven and six years for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, respectively, therefore it's likely we'll see one if not both consoles unveiled at E3. Questions about the console's power levels will be answered then.

To be honest, new console launches are a rough time for the industry. I remember the barren year that was 2006-Gears of War, Twilight Princess, Oblivion, Okami-that's about it. 2012 was a poor year in gaming and 2013 doesn't look much better.

I'll be replaying my massive backlog from the 2007-2011 boom years before worrying about the next round of consoles. I'm sure whatever platforms are released will be competent enough to be dubbed eighth generation.

My power level is over 9000!!!

Nine-tailed Fox

FUS RO DAH!!!!
I completely agree with every point made by you guys. It's really good to know I wasn't the only one shaking my head when I read this. I'm still learning about computers, but by what I know about animating vs computing, I know that there is absolutely no way a console can be powerful like that and still be affordable for the common man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom