• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Progressing in Fallout 3?

I'm a huge fan of Oblivion, so I got the GOTY edition of Fallout 3 and after playing through the mandatory exposition and getting to the open world and doing some missions, I have to say I just don't know how to progress further.

Like, it's hard to explain, but I'm basically stuck in Megaton. Non-Raider enemies are too hard to kill without using up a lot of ammo, which has left most of my guns either empty or in need of repair, and I can't buy ammo/repair them because that costs a lot of caps and I'm broke, and I can't get money because the only way is to either kill enemies and merch their equipment or do quests, and I can't do that without weapons, so you see the Catch-22 I'm in.

Now, I admittedly wasted 120 caps on that dumb Saloon room renting because I thought it would be a permanent room ala Red Dead Redemption, which makes me mad but my own mistake.

Anyway, can any big Fallout 3 fan help me here? I really want to love the game and explore the rich world Bethesda has created, but I don't know how to progress. I've even embarrassingly had to turn the difficulty down to easy, and even then I'm stuck in Megaton.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Require a big Fallout fan? JC, come!

newsteam-assemble-gif.gif

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Ok so a few tips:

• Collect scrap metal and sell it to Walter in Water Processing Plant (located in Megaton). 10 caps per scrap metal + experience.
  • Is your explosive skill 25+? If so, disarm the bomb in the centre of the town and talk to Lucas Simms and he'll give you a few hundred caps.
  • Kill Burke in the Megaton Saloon, (do this before disarming the bomb), no one will care and you can either keep his stuff or sell it.
  • Go to Springville, slightly north of Megaton, and enter an intact house. Kill the girl and get the caps off her, she should have around 300-400
  • Go outside Megaton and go around to the back. There is a rock there with a secret stash in, including a Sniper Rifle.
There's a few basic tips there, I'd also recommended sneaking and trying to steal some stuff without getting caught. My best advice though is to just haul everything you see early on in the game. Collect every item and sell it. Sell it to Gob though (he's the ghoul in the Saloon), if you be nice to him he'll give you discount, which means he'll pay more for your stuff.

Good luck.

Ok so a few tips:

• Collect scrap metal and sell it to Walter in Water Processing Plant (located in Megaton). 10 caps per scrap metal + experience.
  • Is your explosive skill 25+? If so, disarm the bomb in the centre of the town and talk to Lucas Simms and he'll give you a few hundred caps.
  • Kill Burke in the Megaton Saloon, (do this before disarming the bomb), no one will care and you can either keep his stuff or sell it.
  • Go to Springville, slightly north of Megaton, and enter an intact house. Kill the girl and get the caps off her, she should have around 300-400
  • Go outside Megaton and go around to the back. There is a rock there with a secret stash in, including a Sniper Rifle.
There's a few basic tips there, I'd also recommended sneaking and trying to steal some stuff without getting caught. My best advice though is to just haul everything you see early on in the game. Collect every item and sell it. Sell it to Gob though (he's the ghoul in the Saloon), if you be nice to him he'll give you discount, which means he'll pay more for your stuff.

Good luck.
1) I've been collecting scrap metal because I thought it would be used for building something, but I'll sell it now. Thanks.
2) Not yet, but I have a 500 cap reward if I do it.
3) I didn't want to kill Burke yet as I heard if you do it, he'll send hitmen to kill you, and I can't afford ammo to kill them.
4) Are you talking about the girl who owes Moriarity money? Cause I already got the caps from her (didn't kill her though cause I'm not heartless).
5) Did not know that, thanks!

I've been selling things to Moira because I thought she was the only one who bought things. I'll start selling to Gob now.

Yeah, I've been stealing. I assume karma doesn't really matter in the longrun aside from recruiting people like Jericho?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
1) I've been collecting scrap metal because I thought it would be used for building something, but I'll sell it now. Thanks.
Yeah I don't think scrap metal is used for crafting (apart from one of the New Vegas DLCs). Most of the crafting in the game is actually pretty useless apart from the Rail Gun, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

2) Not yet, but I have a 500 cap reward if I do it.
Yeah you'll also get your own house too. If you're ever over encumbered, you can store items in one of the lockers.

3) I didn't want to kill Burke yet as I heard if you do it, he'll send hitmen to kill you, and I can't afford ammo to kill them.
Yeah he will, but it's kind of random and not really enough to harm you. Hitmen will come after you anyway based on your karma. Bad karma and you'll get Regulators after you and you'll get the Talon Company after you with Good Karma. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Yeah, I've been stealing. I assume karma doesn't really matter in the longrun aside from recruiting people like Jericho?
Each level of karma comes with its own advantages and disadvantages. Not too much to worry about though, just play the way you want to.

---

Yeah so definitely disarm the bomb, and speak to Walter and he'll give you an easy quest which essentially involves repairing broken water valves around Megaton (you'll need 25 repair). He will then give you 200 caps and that's when you can start giving him scrap metal.

Honestly the first few hours of Fallout 3 can be hard and confusing for newcomers (I remember quitting the first time I played it), especially since ammo/stims/caps are quite scarce, but once you get past that barrier things start to pick up.

Yeah I don't think scrap metal is used for crafting (apart from one of the New Vegas DLCs). Most of the crafting in the game is actually pretty useless apart from the Rail Gun, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

What about that Rock-It Launcher? That sounds really useful if it fires whatever you want.

Yeah so definitely disarm the bomb, and speak to Walter and he'll give you an easy quest which essentially involves repairing broken water valves around Megaton (you'll need 25 repair). He will then give you 200 caps and that's when you can start giving him scrap metal.

Any tips on how to level up quick so that you can use skill points?

Honestly the first few hours of Fallout 3 can be hard and confusing for newcomers (I remember quitting the first time I played it), especially since ammo/stims/caps are quite scarce, but once you get past that barrier things start to pick up.

Yeah, I mean I was instantly able to get into Oblivion so I guess that's why I'm giving Fallout 3 a bit of a hard time.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
What about that Rock-It Launcher? That sounds really useful if it fires whatever you want.
It's cool and all, especially early on. Only problem is that it's really heavy and later on when you'll need all the space you can to loot good stuff, the ammo will take up a lot of weight on top of it. I'd still try out though because it is really fun.

RedLink said:
Any tips on how to level up quick so that you can use skill points?
You could change the game to very hard to tactically kill low level enemies like Radroaches, Vicious Dogs and Molerats.

Here's another tip though for XP and money:

Go to the Brass Lantern in Megaton and speak to Andy Stahl. He'll tell you about his brothers addiction problems. Speak to his brother and convince him to get clean. Save before you do this though just in case you fail the speech check. You will get 110XP and he'll also give you a key to his stash in the Water Processing Plant - a good bit of caps and other items as well (mainly drugs, but you can sell those).

RedLink said:
Yeah, I mean I was instantly able to get into Oblivion so I guess that's why I'm giving Fallout 3 a bit of a hard time.
Yeah it is hard the first time, but once you get going the best thing to do is the Wasteland Survival Guide quest and/or go to Springvale School. Lots of Raiders that will be easy to kill (once you have ok weapons) and you can loot all the stuff and make a ton of caps.

octorok74

TETTAC
Kill Burke. I got confused my first time through the game. Couldn't figure which way to get to Rivet City. You have to find this specific rail tunnel. JC has good tips though, listen to him since I haven't played 3 for a while since the disc is scratched. I do know that the three weapon schematics you'll want are the Rock-It Launcher, the Dart Gun (makes dealing with deathclaws so much easier), and the Railway Rifle because it goes choo-choo as it dismembers people. And try to keep good karma so you can get Fawkes as a companion in the later part of the game.

It's cool and all, especially early on. Only problem is that it's really heavy and later on when you'll need all the space you can to loot good stuff, the ammo will take up a lot of weight on top of it. I'd still try out though because it is really fun.

Ah, thanks for the heads up.

You could change the game to very hard to tactically kill low level enemies like Radroaches, Vicious Dogs and Molerats.

The sad thing is I'm having problems even with molerats and vicious dogs :(. I just wish weapons didn't degrade- after 3 clips my laser pistol fell apart to give you an idea.

Here's another tip though for XP and money:

Go to the Brass Lantern in Megaton and speak to Andy Stahl. He'll tell you about his brothers addiction problems. Speak to his brother and convince him to get clean. Save before you do this though just in case you fail the speech check. You will get 110XP and he'll also give you a key to his stash in the Water Processing Plant - a good bit of caps and other items as well (mainly drugs, but you can sell those).

Thanks again! Question- is it worth paying that chick Moira to repair your weapons or to just get rid of the broken ones?

Yeah it is hard the first time, but once you get going the best thing to do is the Wasteland Survival Guide quest and/or go to Springvale School. Lots of Raiders that will be easy to kill (once you have ok weapons) and you can loot all the stuff and make a ton of caps.

Is looting/selling and doing quests the only way to make real money? I mean, this was my my main source of revenue in Oblivion so I'm not complaining, but there were other options in the game, like making potions and crafting weapons, and selling them.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The sad thing is I'm having problems even with molerats and vicious dogs :(. I just wish weapons didn't degrade- after 3 clips my laser pistol fell apart to give you an idea.
If you're struggling with guns, try melee to kill any of those enemies. You won't waste ammo and you'll kill them pretty easy. A baseball bat will do. A Chinese Officer Sword is also good early on.
Thanks again! Question- is it worth paying that chick Moira to repair your weapons or to just get rid of the broken ones?
Depends if you're willing to pay, I'd say it is. But you're best repairing weapons yourself. If you have two of the same weapon, you can maintain them. You basically combine them which will improve the condition. Repairing is probably the most important skill in the game, you'll make alright weapons good, and good weapons great.
Is looting/selling and doing quests the only way to make real money? I mean, this was my my main source of revenue in Oblivion so I'm not complaining, but there were other options in the game, like making potions and crafting weapons, and selling them.
Pretty much. The game is all about trading and bartering to earn caps and buy valuable goods.

octorok74

TETTAC
Justa, last I checked, ammo doesn't have weight in Fallout 3. It only has weight in New Vegas when playing on hardcore mode. I horde all my ammo.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Justa, last I checked, ammo doesn't have weight in Fallout 3. It only has weight in New Vegas when playing on hardcore mode. I horde all my ammo.
Yeah I meant ammo for the Rock-it Launcher. It'd be painful if ammo had weight, lol. Hardcore in New Vegas kicked my ass.

octorok74

TETTAC
Ammo for the launcher is also weightless if you just stick with pre-war money. That stuff is everywhere and has zero weight. Infinite ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom