• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Progressing in Fallout 3?

If you're struggling with guns, try melee to kill any of those enemies. You won't waste ammo and you'll kill them pretty easy. A baseball bat will do. A Chinese Officer Sword is also good early on.

Melee is good, but unfortunately increases your risk for health loss. I know you can restore your health through drinking water or stimpacks, but the former increases your radiation and I try to conserve the latter.

Depends if you're willing to pay, I'd say it is. But you're best repairing weapons yourself. If you have two of the same weapon, you can maintain them. You basically combine them which will improve the condition. Repairing is probably the most important skill in the game, you'll make alright weapons good, and good weapons great.

How do you combine two of the same weapon? Do you use that workbench in Moira's store?

Question- is it too dangerous to go into DC at this point in time to continue the main storyline?

octorok74

TETTAC
Question- is it too dangerous to go into DC at this point in time to continue the main storyline?

If you are struggling right now against animals then stay far from DC. Filled with super mutants and BoS. I usually get hit by stray machinegun fire from some paladin.

If you are struggling right now against animals then stay far from DC. Filled with super mutants and BoS. I usually get hit by stray machinegun fire from some paladin.

I actually got surprise attacked by a super mutant, but luckily he got killed by a second super mutant so I was able to escape.

octorok74

TETTAC
Good. On the topic of super mutants though, do you have the Broken steel DLC, because if so that also throws in more powerful super mutants and feral ghouls. I don't think any in the DC area, but still a threat elsewhere.

Good. On the topic of super mutants though, do you have the Broken steel DLC, because if so that also throws in more powerful super mutants and feral ghouls. I don't think any in the DC area, but still a threat elsewhere.
Yeah, I have the GOTY edition.

octorok74

TETTAC
That's great because of all the new stuff, but those enemies are a pain. JC has loads of great advice, but I need to replay it. PLus I didn't fight much. I increased my speech skill to talk my way out of things. I do know that the animal friend perk is a life saver in 3 since molerats, dogs and yoa guai won't attack you and you don't want to ever be attacked by a yoa guai, they are fast and strong.

I'm not really sure what else I can offer to help since I've been away from it for a while. I know you can get the Chinese stealth suit from the Operation Anchorage DLC and that makes you go invisible so you don't need stealth boys anymore.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Melee is good, but unfortunately increases your risk for health loss. I know you can restore your health through drinking water or stimpacks, but the former increases your radiation and I try to conserve the latter.
Yeah but those enemies won't deal enough damage to trouble you. If you keep swinging, while moving around, you'll avoid getting hit.

How do you combine two of the same weapon? Do you use that workbench in Moira's store?
If you have two (or multiple) of the same weapon, hover over it while using your pib-boy and it will give you the option to repair/maintain. The workbench is to make custom weapons.

Same thing as Octo said really. If you're struggling currently, you're going to get destroyed in DC. Lots of Super Mutants and Feral Ghouls and Mercs.

You're best completing the small quests in Megaton, then branching out and visit Springvale School, sell what you've looted and talk to Moria. Start the Wasteland Survival Guide quest and do it in the following order: radiation > Super Dupa Mart > Minefield. You could also speak to Lucy West and she'll give you a quest that should be fine when you've got going. From then on, finish the rest of Moria's quest and then head towards DC. I'd definitely wait though, you probably want to be around level 7+ before going down into the metro tunnels.

So I took your guys's advice and Fallout 3 is definitely becoming more fun again. JC, I killed Burke, completed the first guideline chapter, leveled up, disarmed the bomb, and got my house in Megaton. However, I was unable to find the secret stash behind the town that you described. Any tips on how to find it?

Also, what would you say to do now?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So I took your guys's advice and Fallout 3 is definitely becoming more fun again. JC, I killed Burke, completed the first guideline chapter, leveled up, disarmed the bomb, and got my house in Megaton. However, I was unable to find the secret stash behind the town that you described. Any tips on how to find it?
Go exit Megaton completely, go around to backside of town and you should see a pretty big rock surrounded be a 2-3 dead trees. Just hover over the rock and you'll be able to interact with it and get the secret stash. It's nothing amazing, but free ammo and a sniper is always great.

RedLink said:
Also, what would you say to do now?
Really depends what level you are. I'm guessing you're around 3? Go to Springvale. Search the destroyed houses for loot and then go the school. They'll be a quite a few raiders there, but because your a low level, as long as you have a hunting rifle, you'll be fine. Just make sure that you gave a few stimpaks, food, and a semi-decent gun. Don't go rushing in, remember to sneak because if you get a successful sneak attack you'll automatically get a critical hit. Sneak crits are great for taking out stronger enemies quicker and it conserves ammo. Make sure to loot the place out, steal everything of worth (except the useless misc stuff), and make sure to repair the raider armour so it's worth more. It might take a couple of visits to get everything then sell it in Megaton; you're bound to get around 300+ caps.

After that I'd suggest going to Vault 106. Vaults are always great places to find loot, but they can be tricky. The thing about Vault 106 is that it's nearby, it's not that complicated to navigate, and it's inhabitants carry low level melee weapons. So you should be able to get through this place easily. Oh and for its location, it's slightly north west of Vault 101.

A few recommendations for quests:

- Blood Ties (speak to Lucy West in Megaton)
- Wasteland Survival Guide chapter 2
- Tenpenny Tower

Ok the last quest I mentioned is slightly out the way, but the rewards are great. Tenpenny Tower is located south west of Vault 101 and it's impossibe to miss it. It's a large tower (looks like a hotel). Just make sure when you're going there that you don't go directly to the south east corner of the map (avoid the Dunwich Building trust me). The reason why I recommend this quest is that you can get an awesome item that will really really help you early on - the Ghoul Mask. Essentially this mask makes all Feral Ghouls friendly, which makes navigating the metro tunnels so much easier. Just side with the Ghouls in the quest and you'll get the mask, also you'll be able to kill all the residents towards the end of the quest and loot them as well.

JC man, you are the best! Thanks to your tips Fallout 3 has become so much fun- I turned the difficulty back to normal, have over 1000 caps, plenty of ammo/weapons, and am not afraid to explore anymore. And remember how I said that Raiders were giving me trouble? I'm so powerful now that I assaulted a Super Mutant (Brute) camp and succeeded!

You should consider writing a game guide!

Ok the last quest I mentioned is slightly out the way, but the rewards are great. Tenpenny Tower is located south west of Vault 101 and it's impossibe to miss it. It's a large tower (looks like a hotel). Just make sure when you're going there that you don't go directly to the south east corner of the map (avoid the Dunwich Building trust me). The reason why I recommend this quest is that you can get an awesome item that will really really help you early on - the Ghoul Mask. Essentially this mask makes all Feral Ghouls friendly, which makes navigating the metro tunnels so much easier. Just side with the Ghouls in the quest and you'll get the mask, also you'll be able to kill all the residents towards the end of the quest and loot them as well.

Question- is it morally better to side with the ghouls? Since Feral Ghouls won't be a problem for me anymore, and thus don't need the ghoul mask, I was wondering.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
No problem, man. I love talking Fallout.

Question- is it morally better to side with the ghouls? Since Feral Ghouls won't be a problem for me anymore, and thus don't need the ghoul mask, I was wondering.
The people in Tenpenny are basically rich bigots, so helping the ghouls is actually the positive route.

No problem, man. I love talking Fallout.

I have two more questions on a slightly different note. One is do you ever get that badass steampunk armor seen on the cover of the game?

The second is, would you recommend New Vegas? I have heard mixed things about it and would love to hear your take.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I have two more questions on a slightly different note. One is do you ever get that badass steampunk armor seen on the cover of the game?
That's Power Armour (specifically Brotherhood of Steel Power Armour) and yes you do. You'll encounter the BoS throughout the game. You'll probably see a couple of dead soldiers when you're in the DC ruins. However, you can't actually wear the armour until you've got power armour training. That will come later on in the main quest though.

RedLink said:
The second is, would you recommend New Vegas? I have heard mixed things about it and would love to hear your take.
Definitely. I'm a huge fan of New Vegas (my third favourite game of all time), so yeah if you like this game you really should pick it up.

It's similar bit very different at the same time. It runs on the same engine, has a lot of the same enemies/guns/items/menu interface/stats etc; however it's subtly very different. New Vegas is more user friendly in my opinion, it's much easier at the start to get items and caps and it will set you off in a linear direction. After the first couple of hours though, the game opens up and actually feels a lot more vast than the Capitol Wasteland. There's more locations and it has much more variety in my opinion. The game also is more centered around factions and your relationship with them rather than being based around "this decision is either objectively good or bad" which is why I didn't like the karma system in Fallout 3.

It has a completely different atmosphere and tone as well. F3 is more desolate and feels like everyone is scraping by whereas NV shows more civilisations and people seem, generally, better off. It's a lot more tongue-in-cheek with its humour rather than that depressing feel that F3 had. Both are great games, but the subtle changes make NV much better imo, buy it decide for yourself though because the Fallout community is pretty polarised on which is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom