• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Preferred Zelda Cinematic Format

What form do you think would be the best way to express a cinematic Zelda?

• As a full-length, live action movie

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • As a "planned from the start" live action saga (at least two movies)

• As at least one movie, created by an alternate production studio (like HBO or Netflix)

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • As a live action network TV series

• As a live action non-network TV series (HBO, Netflix, Amazon, etc.)

• As a hand-animated series with half hour episodes and a full season

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • As a hand-animated series with longer episodes, but only a few at a time (4-6 per season)

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
If you'd like, discuss the how and why of the choices you prefer, or give a detailed reason that you think one of the choices would be a particularly bad fit for the series. I'm eager to see what people think.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I'm both totally on board with a Zelda Show/Movie, but at the same time, I am totally against it.

Sure, it may be a good show/movie, but it could be as bad a flop as Super Mario Brothers, and could ruin my enjoyment for the games.

Live action would be preferred, but that would look cheezy, and probably pretty dumb, but animated would arguably be worse, leaving me thinking that the whole Zelda movie is a BAD IDEA.

If I had to choose, I'd choose the series

I'm both totally on board with a Zelda Show/Movie, but at the same time, I am totally against it.

Sure, it may be a good show/movie, but it could be as bad a flop as Super Mario Brothers, and could ruin my enjoyment for the games.

Live action would be preferred, but that would look cheezy, and probably pretty dumb, but animated would arguably be worse, leaving me thinking that the whole Zelda movie is a BAD IDEA.

If I had to choose, I'd choose the series
But why would a badly done show ruin your enjoyment of the series? It's not like you have to pay attention to it. I mean, case in point, the Mario movie was objectively bad but it's not like it stopped people from playing Mario games for another decade.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I've always been hoping for one. Personally, I feel like an animated film would be the best choice, but alas, it's not up there. It could still be done very good live-action though.
I also don't trust the studio system to make a Zelda movie. They'd try to Lord of the Rings it up more than likely, making it a somewhat bland echo of a series I already don't like as much as most people.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Played like 2 mins of CDi...
That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You obviously avoided it just fine then so it didn't ruin your perception of the series. Just like you could turn off a Zelda Movie, or TV within like 2 minutes and be just as fine as you are without Zelda CDI in your life.

Ninja

Well well well
I'd rather have the cinematic experiences in another full fledged console game, to be honest.

If I had to pick one, I'd rather have a full season with 30 minute episodes.

I'd want a live-action series featuring a seasonal format and an overall serious tone. Think Game of Thrones except rated T instead of M.

I was quite excited when that rumor of Netflix doing that very idea was being spread around, because the potential that Zelda has for a Game of Thrones-esque style of storytelling is definitely present. There are so many races, conflicts, and major events throughout the series, I would think it would actually be rather easy to adapt the franchise as a whole into a serialized format that slowly builds upon itself with character, action, and intrigue.

However, Link would have to cease being a personality-less mute and would have to step up and become the main character just because the medium demands it.

I'd want a live-action series featuring a seasonal format and an overall serious tone. Think Game of Thrones except rated T instead of M.

I was quite excited when that rumor of Netflix doing that very idea was being spread around, because the potential that Zelda has for a Game of Thrones-esque style of storytelling is definitely present. There are so many races, conflicts, and major events throughout the series, I would think it would actually be rather easy to adapt the franchise as a whole into a serialized format that slowly builds upon itself with character, action, and intrigue.

However, Link would have to cease being a personality-less mute and would have to step up and become the main character just because the medium demands it.
tumblr_mfx7f9cmec1qc04bco1_400.gif

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I think a combination live action/cgi might suffice, with cgi being used to spice up on location or on set environments and for creature effects. Think something like Sky Captain. Link as a silent protagonist is the difficult part though. Do you make this traditionally mute character talk? The central protagonist of the games and probably the show too can't be the vehicle to carry the plot since that demands a lot of spoken dialog. Obviously movies like Fury Road kinda prove otherwise when Tom Hardy only has something like a couple dozen lines, most of which take place in the last half of the movie. I think a movie with a silent protagonist who emotes solely through expression could be very compelling.

There's no reason why a Zelda show can't work, but then there's no reason why any story can't work in any medium. It's just going to take a lot of finesse to make it right.

A sort of mini-series format with 5-7 90min episodes would seem reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom