• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Post Tragedy of Twilight Princess

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I've always been fascinated by the goings on after a certain game has finished as usually were sent right back to out last save point in deja-vu-like fashion. We get a snippet of what's to come and some closure from the ending but apart from straight sequels we never get to see what happens after.

It's an intriguing thing really--what happens after the game has finished--Link has went through so much, how does he just go back to normal every day life? How will Hyrule recover? All of these questions arise at the end of Twilight Princess. Link loses his companion, a great friend too, Midna. He has seen death, tragedy and we just expect him to return to small village life herding goats acting like the past is nothing? Return of the King tells a great end to Frodo's adventure when simply he can't live on in the Shire because he just can't recover from his physical and mental scars, so he goes into the Undying Lands (a place quite similar to heaven in some aspects). I apply this too Link in Twilight Princess because it's just so similar in many ways.

Also, what about Hyrule Castle and the town surrounding it? Remember when Midna and Ganondorf clashed? The resulting outcome basically resulted in Hyrule Castle being destroyed. That could have possibly killed hundreds and if there were survivors, where would they go? They are without homes and Hyrule Field will still be a treacherous place to pass. Truth is that life after the game isn't all that easy, in fact it's pretty tragic, and it just goes to show that things do take time to recover after evil's arrival.

Anyway what are your thoughts about these struggles and what other games have a rather interesting tale after the game over screen hits?

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I REALLY don't think he goes back to being a common rancher...that would be unrealistic like you said. I dunno where he goes or what he does, maybe he's knighted by Zelda and becomes a general and reforms those spineless wimpy sorry excuses for soldiers we see in game?

I do have one theory though...the twilis were in the twilight realm as punishment for trying to steal the triforce eons ago. I like to think since Midna proved that her people aren't all evil, maybe the gods decided it was time for that to end. So they dissolved the magical barrier and anyone can go in and out of the twilight realm sometime after the end of TP, it becomes another part of Hyrule like death mountain or snowpeaks. Of course not everybody is happy with this. Many people's only encounter with the twili race was Zant, with him being their only example, these people would think all twilis are bloodthirsty psychos. So Midna and Zelda have to smooth things over...I can see Link helping with that, he would have a lot of clout in the matter for obvious reasons.

That's my headcanon at least. And it's a darn good one if I don't say so myself, it even takes away the sadness of Midna leaving never to be seen again...she thought that would be the case, but the gods surprised everybody, so she doesn't have to leave her hylian buddy forever. I don't ship Link and Midna, but they can be friends, right?

Ganondork

goo
justac00lguy said:
It's an intriguing thing really--what happens after the game has finished--Link has went through so much, how does he just go back to normal every day life?

On one hand, I agree with your following argument about the tragedies that he has witnessed, but on the other, it's not always realistic that he won't return to normal life. I don't have the quote on hand, so I will paraphrase the words of a man returning from the American Civil War.

I came home from the war, put my gloves on, and went back out into the fields. It was as though I had only been gone for a few days, even though it had actually be four years.

I know I didn't really capture the quote well, but he discussed how life goes on, even after fighting for the Confederacy. He saw tragedy after tragedy, yet he knew that he had nowhere else to go. I think that Link had that kind of mindset. He was the kind of guy who put his nose to the grindstone and went to work, whether he liked it or not. Life went on in Ordon without him, but he needed to return to normalcy.

I think that Link and Frodo are different kinds of people. Frodo had the quest given to him, but Link chose to take on the events of Twilight Princess. Link knew that someone had to do it, and he was happy to take that role. He saw a lot of pain along the way, but he knew that it was bound to happen. He paid his dues, saved the kingdom, and it was time for him to simply return to his past life occupancy. I think he knew that, going into this adventure, he would either see the day he could return to Ordon, or die trying.

Also, what about Hyrule Castle and the town surrounding it? Remember when Midna and Ganondorf clashed? The resulting outcome basically resulted in Hyrule Castle being destroyed. That could have possibly killed hundreds and if there were survivors, where would they go? They are without homes and Hyrule Field will still be a treacherous place to pass. Truth is that life after the game isn't all that easy, in fact it's pretty tragic, and it just goes to show that things do take time to recover after evil's arrival.

Hyrule would most likely have to go through a lot of rebuilding. I will say this is one of the more realistic Zeldas in ways outside of graphics alone. It shows the impact that evil can have on a land, and there's never a quick fix to return things back to normal. Everyone suffered in one way or another, and it would take a community effort to build their settlements again. I don't doubt that there would be an influx of survivors in various settlements like Kakariko, the Zora Domain, or even Ordon. The people of Hyrule, as evidenced by Ocarina of Time, are resilient. They would find a way to survive.

---

So my thoughts on Hyrule post Twilight Princess? I think it would be a community effort to rebuild, while the hero who saved them slinks back into obscurity. He'd always be remembered as a hero, but they knew his role in this narrative was over. They would all return Hyrule to its former glory, and life would return to Castle Town. The world would be safe again, and Link could lead a normal life again.

Link is a likable guy, anyway. He's a role model for the children of Ordon, and has the respect of the adults. His valiance would gain him more notoriety among the townspeople, and he would be welcomed with open arms. He'd live a nice, quiet life as a rancher once again. He'd be happy. Maybe he'd kindle some form of passion with Ilia, even. Would he miss Midna a lot? Of course. Maybe he'd think about her every day.

And what of Midna? She'd return to the Twilight Realm and reign as the queen. I don't doubt that she'd miss Link terribly and try to return to him. Maybe she'd even try and return to him eventually, but to no avail. They'd live the rest of their lives apart. I think they would still both be happy, but there would be a mutual agreement that there was something within their hearts that is missing. It doesn't even have to be romantically. The love they shared for one another can be platonic or romantic, depending on how you see it.

Life in Hyrule would go on without Midna and Link, but the two would miss each other dearly.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
That's intriguing. You and me have completely different views on what should happen, and that civil war quote...is interesting to say the least.

Idk, I think Ilia seemed to care more about Epona to be honest. I would like to see Link with Ashei. If he was with Ilia after all that he'd never be able to settle down. He needs someone who he can trust to take care of herself, I think he'd be happier having his love interest fighting by his side instead of having to be protected. What happens if Ordon is attacked, and for some reason, he's not there at the time, and he comes back to find Ilia, and their kids if they have any, dead on the ground? I don't think Ilia knows the first thing about defending herself.

That doesn't mean he can't still have friends in Ordon though...idk, I just tend to like the idea of two badass warriors as a couple.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Fascinating question, you can ask this question for all Zelda's I think. For example, you mention the destruction of Hyrule Castle. What about OoT. The entire town is devastated by Ganondorf. I guess the people of Hyrule do what all people do after a war. Mourn the dead and rebuild from the ashes.

How Link would react to it personally is harder to say. You know Link is a hero and he fights for the good. But you never get to know his personality. So it's hard to say how he would be after his adventures. Take WO II soldiers for example. Some of these soldiers were never able to have a normal life due to the horrors they experienced in the war. Other were able to have a normal life, though they would never forget. So it depends on the person I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom