• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda POLL: Should Nintendo Give Us a Zelda Game with a Female Playable Character?

How should a the playable female character be worked into the game?

• Female Link

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play as existing character instead of link(zelda, shiek)

• New female character instead of link

• both link and existing character (pick one and each character has different quests)

• both link and a new character(you one and each character has different quests)

• NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

• Total voters
I think that a customizable character would probably never happen for LoZ. Links and Zeldas appearances matter in the games. ex. link is left handed.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Since I posted on a thread similar to this the other day I'll just quote it

justac00lguy said:
I see no reason as us not being able to play as a female character...However if it were to be a 'female Link' or 'Zelda' I would choose Zelda. From recent discussions about Link being an actual character rather than just a Link I think it's important that Zelda games keep this trend going. Now it wouldn't completely harm Link's character as such but I just think that in order for Link to be this key character in the series they should keep his gender as male.*

Playing as Zelda though? Yes please! Even though we have seen 16 Zelda games in all but one she has made an actual appearance, however over 15 games, do we actually know her? I would probably say no, Zelda mostly plays the damsel in distress role, this most of the times makes her only seen during the start and end of the game. Now even though Skyward Sword ' version of Zelda wasn't my all time favourite I still think the way she was implemented in the actual events of the plot was one of the best uses of her to date.*

How playing as Zelda could actually work, I would lean more towards either a spin off or having her as a controllable option along side Link. In Spirit Tracks we got to play as the spirit of Zelda in certain points in the game so maybe we could actually tackle a couple of Dungeons playing solely as Zelda or using the combination of the two. I think this could have worked towards the end of Ocarina of Time were we saw Zelda and Link team up in a way.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I think that a customizable character would probably never happen for LoZ. Links and Zeldas appearances matter in the games. ex. link is left handed.

Link's appearance has stop mattering since Twilight Princess. He's pretty much been a right-handed guy ever since then, at least in the 3D games, and no one has given two cares in the world anymore. Whether he's righty or lefty is irrelevant nowadays - it's all about the exploration and adventure. Similarly, Zelda has always been nothing short of a plot device (bar in ST where she actually does many things that are useful), and no one has asked for reform there - they're content with the same ol' same ol' but change could be decent (ST Zelda was well received by fans even though she's drastically different from every other Zelda bar CDI Zelda).

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i voted never cuz i dont think it would work. But if there were to be a female in a Zelda title, i would play as shiek during the 7 years Link was Sealed away.

As far as trying out the Male/Female Link option in a game. I think its best they test that out in a remake or something before throwing it in a new game. Just to see how everyone feels/reacts to it. Even the people asking for it might not like it, and why take the chance of ruining a new game when they can test things in re-issues.

I'd like a female Link, i'd like to play as a woman in Zelda like Zelda herself or Impa etc etc, and who knows what we'll get in the future, i'm getting really bored of the whole women in Zelda thing, its quite annoying.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Does Samus really have a strong character? No. She never says much outside of Other M, and we all know how that went. She has little to no character, for all I know she's has multiple incarnations. I also don't think a new one wouldn't cause much a splash in the fanbase, but I'm not a big Metroid guy. A male Samus wouldn't really be much different than a female Link. The stupidity of these changes would be equal; although you have to see Link more, so it may be more damaging to Zelda.

Kirino

Tatakae
Does Samus really have a strong character? No. She never says much outside of Other M, and we all know how that went. She has little to no character, for all I know she's has multiple incarnations. I also don't think a new one wouldn't cause much a splash in the fanbase, but I'm not a big Metroid guy. A male Samus wouldn't really be much different than a female Link. The stupidity of these changes would be equal; although you have to see Link more, so it may be more damaging to Zelda.

Samus is a single defined character with 1 incarnation. A new incarnation of Samus would make absolutely no sense. Link is the name given to a series of heroes. Link is multiple people. You really can't compare a Male Samus to a Female Link.

Kirino

Tatakae
Sorry, I guess you can compare them. What I meant was that if you do, you aren't going to make sense or a valid argument.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think both should remain their respective genders, but Samus is a horrible example for you. They're both silent protagonists. They both have limited character development. Other N aside- Samus's character simply has to stop whatever evil happens to be threatening her. Whether it be Ridley, Dark Samus, or Phazon itself, its all about gameplay. Samus's feminimity is less justified than Link's masculinity. She's but one character, with no reincarnation factor affecting a new reincarnations. Most people, including me, thought from SSB that she was a man for the longest time. Her feminimity was a just an easter egg for the of us who beat the first Metroid in a short time by using cheat codes. . . I mean mad gaming skills. Other M gets so much hate I can hardly call it a canon game. The fact of the matter is that Samus has almost no identity as a character and might actually work if she was killed off and replaced by a man. I'd buy it, there's really no difference. In Metroid the game guide actually called her "he", so gender and character clearly have no significant importance.

I know you want really bad to disprove me. I suggest using a more defined to character like Mario, Peach, or Sonic to bring me down. Bring it on, my friend.

Kirino

Tatakae
I think both should remain their respective genders, but Samus is a horrible example for you. They're both silent protagonists. They both have limited character development. Other N aside- Samus's character simply has to stop whatever evil happens to be threatening her. Whether it be Ridley, Dark Samus, or Phazon itself, its all about gameplay. Samus's feminimity is less justified than Link's masculinity. She's but one character, with no reincarnation factor affecting a new reincarnations. Most people, including me, thought from SSB that she was a man for the longest time. Her feminimity was a just an easter egg for the of us who beat the first Metroid in a short time by using cheat codes. . . I mean mad gaming skills. Other M gets so much hate I can hardly call it a canon game. The fact of the matter is that Samus has almost no identity as a character and might actually work if she was killed off and replaced by a man. I'd buy it, there's really no difference. In Metroid the game guide actually called her "he", so gender and character clearly have no significant importance.

I know you want really bad to disprove me. I suggest using a more defined to character like Mario, Peach, or Sonic to bring me down. Bring it on, my friend.

I never really brought up Samus. You did, and I just said it wasn't a fair comparison. And it seems like I misunderstood you, as I thought you were suggesting a reincarnated Samus, not a new male character. If there were a new character in the same suit, I guess I wouldn't have a problem with that. Anyways, I'm not necessarily for or against a female Link. I just think most of the arguments against it aren't very good, so I'm arguing against them.

I've often suggested a female Link would be good for the simple reason that, his character is one that is supposed to span generations. While I can see reasons to keep him the same gender, a female Link could help develop the "Spirit of Link" that each descendant has within them. In other words, I'm not opposed to the idea, but just like other things it would have to be used right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom