• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Plot Similarities in OoT and Pokemon 2000

AnimeHat

Humming Swordsman
I noticed this while watching Pokemon 2000 a little while ago with a friend. I noticed that the plot is actually very similar to the first portion of Ocarina of Time. We have Ash, a chosen hero that the legends speak of. We have Melody, a character that easily represents Zelda. We also have a villain that could be Ganondorf but doesn't quite fit the role.

The basic plot of the movie is that Ash and friends are blown violently off course while sailing through the Orance Archipeligo. They end up on an island where the people there speak of a legend that, some time soon, the world will be thrown into chaos when there is an unbalanced power between the forces of Fire, Ice, and Lightning. These three forces, of course, represent the legendary birds Moltres, Articuno, and Zapdos. Coincidently, a wealthy collector named Lawrence III has decided to take the three birds for himself in order to draw out the "real prize," Lugia.

He manages to capture two of the three bird, but his plans are halted by Ash, Misty, Tracy, Melody, and Team Rocket. Lawrence III only manages to enrage the birds, causing them fight over territory control. Over the course of this adventure, Ash visits the three islands and obtains a sacred treasure at each of them. He meets Lugia, the legendary pokemon that acts as a foil to the three birds, attempting to stop their fighting. Ash then takes the three treasures back to the main island, placing them in a shrine while Melody plays a song sounding similar to the Song of Time. The song revives Lugia and manages to prevent the birds from fighting anymore, saving the world.

The connections are pretty obvious. You have three sacred treasures, and you have the three jewels spread out over Hyrule. You have an Ocarina which is the key to unlocking a mysterious, divine power. And you have a chosen hero. It even speaks in the legend, "thus the world shall turn to Ash" (up until now, it was beleived that the legend predicted the inevitable destruction of the world, but was actually naming the chosen hero).

So why Ocarina of Time? This could have worked just as well for other Zelda games. Well, as the name states, Pokemon 2000 came out in the year 2000, one year after OoT. They were looking to make another Pokemon movie and the time was convenient, so why not borrown the story of another game?

What do you think? Share your thoughts.

Skunk

Floof
Interesting theory, I think I'll have to watch this again. Oh, and for those who don't know, Lugia's theme waschanged in the Englishdub. The Japanese one sounds like the Song of Time.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
It doesnt sound too farfetch'd (pun completely intended) considering that Pokemon and Zelda are both Nintendo franchises. Nintendo does this sort of thing all the time, a pipe from Mario was in OoT too. Never heard of anything past small easter eggs like that, but it's possible.

But...Link is a much bigger badass than Ash can ever be. I used to think Ash was awesome when I was little, but now he's just...lame. Which is why I dont watch the Pokemon anime anymore.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
It doesnt sound too farfetch'd (pun completely intended) considering that Pokemon and Zelda are both Nintendo franchises. Nintendo does this sort of thing all the time, a pipe from Mario was in OoT too. Never heard of anything past small easter eggs like that, but it's possible.

But...Link is a much bigger badass than Ash can ever be. I used to think Ash was awesome when I was little, but now he's just...lame. Which is why I dont watch the Pokemon anime anymore.

Thats because he's still 10 (some how) and has never won a single tournament, never learns from hims mistakes or becomes a better trainer. When pikachu is loosing gym battles when has the type advantage, something is wrong that pikachu should be like level 9000 by now. He set himself up as pretty awesome in the Indigo league, but he dindt' win, he did good but not the best there, he beat the orange league, and then never won anything again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom