• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

PG-13 Movies Not So PG-13 Anymore.

MW7

What I find funny is that there used to not be a PG-13 rating. One of the movie's that caused the creation of the rating was Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of watching this PG movie (which is underrated in terms of quality as well because many people see it as the black sheep of the original trilogy), there is a graphic scene where a man's heart is literally torn out of his chest. Not quite as disturbing as things in Hostel but quite disturbing when you're watching the movie at age 8. I guess my point is that the MPAA rating system is not perfect and if you look hard enough, you'll find numerous movies that seem misrated. Also the ratings of movies is dyanmic along with society as Xinnamin said.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Temple of Doom is freaking scary. All of the Indiana Jones films have some pretty amazing violence to them, and the thing is it's always genuinely fun to watch. Definitely not surprised Temple of Doom started the whole PG-13 thing, though the lack of realism in the violence makes the violence itself less disturbing than it could be (the movie is scary for different reasons, mostly the crazy atmosphere).

The Temple of Doom is my least favorite Jones film, not counting the most recent release, but you've gotta love how weird it is.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
Well that's true. I saw The Omen about a week ago, and they only said the f word twice. It was rated R. That was the remake in 2006. There was also a movie called iRobot which had a lot of swearing in it. It only got that rating for some violence. but it was rated PG-13. There wasn't a single note about any swearing. These days, movies are only rated for violence, drugs, sexual content, disturbing/scary scences, blood, gore, etc.

meow79

loves cats. loves zelda.
ive been hearing kids say the f word since third grade

ps. Im just noting how kids get exposed to swear words at such an early age, probably through the media

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
To be honest, I don't like all the suggestive qualities producers are starting to flood their films with. Movies used to be something we could go watch with enjoyment in mind, but of late I'd need to check on the content within it. This is emphasized by cinematic creations such as Transformers and X-Men: First Class; while both were excellent films, they certainly held a lot of surprises which I didn't certify. But in the end it hasn't affected me any, because I choose it not to...that, or I've seen enough of it over my life that I simply don't care.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
To be honest, I don't like all the suggestive qualities producers are starting to flood their films with. Movies used to be something we could go watch with enjoyment in mind, but of late I'd need to check on the content within it. This is emphasized by cinematic creations such as Transformers and X-Men: First Class; while both were excellent films, they certainly held a lot of surprises which I didn't certify. But in the end it hasn't affected me any, because I choose it not to...that, or I've seen enough of it over my life that I simply don't care.

I guess that depends a lot on the mentality that the producers had. The two examples you mentioned were both big budget Hollywood productions, so they are clearly going to look for ways to attract an audience. I haven't seen X-Men: First Class, but from Transformers alone, I can tell you they had a really defined idea of who they would attract with that. The shot at the start of Transformers 3 was clearly just for people who want to see a young woman in underwear. It didn't really have a purpose.

But there's different cases. Others use things like that from angles that actually enhance the sense of realism in the film. But that's mainly art-house/indie filmmakers or maybe 1 or 2 that somehow got Hollywood to back them up. If it's the kind of movie that was clearly meant to just get money, then you bet they will use things like that to lure in their intended audience, you can usually tell by the rating and genre. (For example, if it's an acton movie and it's PG-13, you're likely to see women in provocative clothing, but that's mainly in most cases I come across)

when I was a kid it wasn't uncommon for there to be nudity in PG-13 movies...

It's actually allowed under certain circumstances. Have you ever heard of Titanic? That one had a full-frontal nude scene in it, but it got a PG-13 because the scene was "artistic".

I've haven't heard that case many times since, but I guess it has a base. It's more based around tastefulness and context, or at least that was how they justified the scene. Showing a woman naked in a more sexual context, though? Now that has always earned R ratings as far as I know.

EDIT: This might help.

MPAA rating info said:
More than brief nudity will require at least a PG-13 rating, but such nudity in a PG-13 rated motion picture generally will not be sexually oriented.

Here's the rating info, just in case anybody has questions.

http://www.mpaa.org/ratings/what-each-rating-means

The F word is used in PG-13 movies just once. Too much would be R rated.

I've heard that it depends more on the way the word is used. The F word has many uses, you know. It's actually known as one of the most versatile words in any language.

It also has a sexual use, as you may know already. That is usually the one I've seen they frown upon. Most other uses of it are supposed to be fine as long as it's not overdone. But I've seen some PG-13 movies get away with 3 or more uses of the word in it, maybe that's because they weren't in the sexual sense.

Last edited:
Some ratings really don't make sense. Take Jennifer's Body for example. That movie wasn't really graphic, sexual, or anything even remotely scary. Pretty much the only reason it got an F rating was the slightly, and I do mean ever so slightly, casual use of the F word. I've seen much gorier, scary movies on Syfy that were rated PG-13. The rating system is a decent guideline, but any good parent will at least research a movie's content before letting their kid watch something questionable. I'm going to make sure whenever I become a parent to keep an eye on my video games and movies and won't let my son/daughter watch or play until I'm confident that they're mature enough to handle it.

True that PG-13 movies will have one F word thrown in but have you seen the movie "Yes Man" with Jim Carrey? That movie was PG-13 but what was strange is that it said the F word more than once but didn't get an R.

Jaywolf

~The Wolfos Furry~
I totally agree with you. That word was nvr put in PG-13 movies untill now. I even think that it should only be used in R rated movies.
What ever happen to the original PG-13 movie guidelines?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I don't like swearing, but at some point in your life someone is going to say f*** in front of you. It's just language. It's not pleasant, but it's not that big of a deal. You're meant to be 13 to see those movies without an adult, and I would be really surprised if you'd never heard the f word before you're 13. I would suggest that a bit of exposure to the real world never hurt anyone, as long as it's explained that it's not a good word to use.

If there is sex and strong (non-slapstick, that is) violence in it, or too much swearing, I would think that's different. I mean, it's a kids movie, there's no need. Kids should be allowed to be kids for as long as possible.

I don't know whether I would comment on how times have changed and things like that in regards to this. I don't really think it's a good thing- swearing sounds unintelligent, as meaningless as it is, and you don't want children talking like that. Or adults, either. But, like I said, a dose of reality in a controlled way is probably going to do more good in the long run than bad.

At the end of the day, movie ratings are just a bunch of stuff someone wrote on a piece of paper. It's subjective because the nature of what is offensive or inappropriate is subjective within itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom