• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

>Pause >Load >Are you sure? >Yes

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
What's your stance on loading a previous save if you get into a bad situation? I tend to try to avoid it, but sometimes I cave. Usually if it's a difficult combat encounter, I just give it my all anyway, kill it or die trying. Sometimes if I make a mistake in buying something or realize there was a better way to do something, I'll reload and try again, I feel kinda like I'm cheating but I wanna do it different.

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Champion
(Very nice title by the way)

I mean...I don't use rewinds or save states anytime I am playing a ''real'' game, but if I am playing on an emulator then I may use save states, mostly to explore or to try different things and goof off. I am the type of person that feels that the only way to truly play a game is by playing a real copy, port, or remaster of a game. I am not against emulators but I believe that the true experience of a game is by playing it for real on a console.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
Depends on what you deem is a 'bad situation'. Tough enemy? Branching dialog choices? Just bugs? Generally I don't do it, as if I care about it that bad, it's just an excuse for a different play through where I'll make a different decision, barring the very, very rare instance where I'm truly locked out of something because of actual game design hiccups or bad key items. That said, reloading is kind of mandatory in certain games (cough cough my 100+ mods interacting on Skyrim). I do use save states sometimes in games were I just can't stand to be held back by save restrictions.

Reloading is also extremely mandatory in some games like Monster Rancher, which I heavily play, but the game can also be enjoyed without it. It can just be excessively much harder due to actually finicky RNG with that & hugely make-or-break happenings, such as a monster possibly instantly dying from a critical hit during a tournament (rare). Happened to me recently, & my very powerful S-ranked Jell had to drop out & then instantly died at home from a lucky critical doing like 3% over the threshold for that trigger (it's based on the damage exceeding max HP cap, so he was KO'd, but overkill can actually kill if it's a critical finish to the player in some circumstances based on some other values; I have never had it happen in 20+ years of playing, so...). I ended up reloading & just treating him as 'dead' by freezing him in storage, since losing an S-ranked champion monster I had raised for 6 years like that was extremely detrimental & wasteful, both with money & being able to use him to make the next generation, if so I chose. Had he just been raised for cash, it would have been different, but I was attached. Anyway.

Reloading mandatory sometimes, but generally I avoid.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I do it like if theres like a hard boss and im like i should get more items, or heath ot that kimda thing...

I try to avoid using save states in modern games because I think the vast majority of them have good game design so any problematic situation is my own fault with the exception of soft locks, which I would use a save to get out of. I have no problem using save states in older games, especially NES games, because I think most of them are designed to be frustratingly hard due to being short because of hardware limitations.

I usually avoid save states in any emulator, unless the game itself has no save feature. I also usually try to avoid any rewind feature as well. But when it comes from actually loading save files from in-game options, or resetting the console, I go all in. A good example of my stance is like Pikmin 1, and the continue from last save option. I abuse the heck out of that option during deathless runs. But if I was playing the game emulated, I wouldn't use save states at all.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I usually avoid save states in any emulator, unless the game itself has no save feature. I also usually try to avoid any rewind feature as well. But when it comes from actually loading save files from in-game options, or resetting the console, I go all in. A good example of my stance is like Pikmin 1, and the continue from last save option. I abuse the heck out of that option during deathless runs. But if I was playing the game emulated, I wouldn't use save states at all.
That's basically my stance. I started this because a couple of times in my current New Vegas playthrough, I've had something come up where my stats weren't quite high enough to do something, but I had the required stat boost items, so I just loaded my save, played back to whatever I was doing, then used stat boost items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom