• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Parry?

Austin

Austin
Am I the only person who didn't like the parry move? I can obviously see why it could be useful but it always seemed like a hindrance and somewhat cheap to me. One particularly annoying situation I come across a lot is when I attempt to backflip away from the enemy, but due to bad timing and the fact that you backflip and parry with the same button, I end up doing the exact opposite of what I wanted to do. Instead of retreating I was forced to recklessly charge the enemy. This was quite a problem while battling yellow Chu Chus.....

As for it being cheap, I just feel like the game was dumbed down a bit when defeating enemies could all be done with a simple reflex. Comparing it to the backstab trick in TP (more or less the same thing), you press one button instead of three, and are told when to do it. Told in the form of a stimulous overload. Your sword flashes, a sound plays and the controller shakes. I'm sure if the Gamecube could affect my sense of smell it would have done that as well.

I'm sorry if this is too much of a rant but this is starting to frustrate me. This is an actual issue with the control scheme though. I'm not being petty and blaming my bad Zelda skills on the way the buttons were layed out:P

jugglaj91

I am me....
I only found parry useful against darknuts I think it was. Otherwise it was just fun to toy with and usually left it alone with a very aggressive offense instead.

C

celibi88

but due to bad timing and the fact that you backflip and parry with the same button, I end up doing the exact opposite of what I wanted to do. Instead of retreating I was forced to recklessly charge the enemy. This was quite a problem while battling yellow Chu Chus.....

just remember that there is no reason to back away from any chu they're nothing to fear

other than that I found the parry to be useful in select situations but for the most part I kept enough distance from enemies for the parry command not to come up when i didn't want it.

Austin

Austin
just remember that there is no reason to back away from any chu they're nothing to fear

It was a yellow Chu Chu, they're the ones that are charged with electricty. It was about to jump at me when I tried to backflip away from it.

I'm completely with you. In fact, this is the main reason I hated the final fight with Ganondorf. All you had to do was keep your shield up and wait for the parry, which is no fun for me at all. It also contributed to the laughable difficulty of WW, which is always a bad thing. I had the same problem with the Mortal Draw in TP too, but at least it wasn't required to be Ganondorf at the end.

Well, the parry command only comes up when your shield is down. If you don't want to parry and backflip instead, hold the shield up. Other than that, the parry was okay, it let you counter if you had the reflex and it was only really useful against Darknuts and Orca, if you wanted to get 999 hits on the guy.

Austin

Austin
Well, the parry command only comes up when your shield is down. If you don't want to parry and backflip instead, hold the shield up.

That's a fair point, but I'm only human. It'd be difficult to remember to put my shield up before backflipping everytime I didn't want to parry. Unless I put my shield up all the time, which would be annoying.

you know you can stun them mid jump right?

I didn't know that, thanks. However, I'll repeat my point above. It's possible, but I shouldn't have to go through so much trouble just to do a backflip.

jugglaj91

I am me....
I always have my shield up. I am a lock on kind of player. If I cannot lock on to a target I feel lost. Only exception being the mortal draw in TP. I loved that move, one hit kill, and I got pretty good at it fairly quickly so I took little damage if any at all.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I didn't have a problem with the parry, it was a good move. There is nothing like a good defend yourself move and then strike at the enemy with a counter attack. I enjoyed it the most against the Darknuts.

N

nguinn97

I didn't really use the parry move very much, but thats just because I use almost the same combat style for every 3d Zelda game, and the other games do not have that move. I find it annoying to use on some enemies because sometimes they use moves that can't be parried, and I always get hit because i am waiting for the parry symbol to appear. I did use it sometimes just for fun though.

Scythe-of-Chaos

I'm an assassin.... sshhh
i really never used the parry, once i forgot you could so i tried to time using bombs agenst the darknuts, but then i found you just parry and then its easy

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I don't remember special moves well - I'm a hack and slash kind of girl. So I defeated the entire Savage Labyrinth without realizing I could parry against Darknuts. Now that I've read this thread, a couple of the other caves with multiple Darknuts suddenly became much more tolerable. That being said, this is one of the games that I almost always keep my shield up when I'm not attacking, so I never noticed it if it could interfere with normal battle play.

I like to use parry attack alot.

Makes me look like a titanic super-human who towers over all else with superior electronic entertainment skills.

... Or a very smug jerkass, I dunno.

A

aguinn99

i only used the parry on orca and darknuts.besides that i just used it for fun.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom