• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Overworld or dungeon

Many fans look forward to the dungeons in their Zelda games and while a lot of them are fun, I'm a Zelda fan who prefers being out in the overworld. I like the feeling of being out in the open and having large expanses to travel through rather than being stuck in one perilous indoor location that i know i wont be getting out of until after i've run something through my Master Sword...

So, which do you prefer?

Ar you an overworld person or a dungeon person?

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I honestly like a balance of both, but I prefer being in the overworld slightly more. Dungeons are fine, but I don't like being cooped up inside them for too long. While I do like puzzles in dungeons, I find there is much more beauty in the overworld, and that can be very relaxing.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
It depends on the game for me. Cause while some Overworlds are a joy to travel through. Others can easily feel like a chore. Since I can say I enjoyed the dungeons in Ocarina of Time a bit more then the overworld. Given the size of hyrule field and traveling could take awhile before you get your convenient teleport songs.

Majora's mask had a more designed and condensed overworld. Making it a joy to find stuff and talk things that were out there. Also given you only had four main dungeons a lot of things happened on that overworld that made it enjoyable.

Windwaker had the sailing. Oh that bloody sailing hurt my soul. Though the sailing did not hurt as bad in phantom hourglass. Maybe cause I customized that ship? Maybe how you got the ship to go? Then you got spirit tracks which i count the train section as overworld. Bloody bomb trains.

Twilight princess is a mixed bag for me. Since i liked many of the things in the overworld. But I could also enjoy the puzzles of the dungeons and those boss fights just about equally.

Now for the 2D Zeldas. Zelda 1 is that both the overworld and dungeons are highly confusing. Zelda 2 is just overly hard in my opinion to enjoy either section. Link to the past had both colorful world and enjoyable theme to the overworld that was both fun and not to hard to explore. You could do neat things in the overworld of Link's awakening. Chomp Chomp. Link between Worlds had both interesting puzzles in the dungeons and the overworld just to get to the dungeons.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
It does depend on the game as SpiteChaotic said(welcome to the forums by the way). I love the overworlds, most of all the 2d titles....I dont know if you count the ds titles as 2d, but i didnt like or play much of those. A Link to the Past has to be my favorite overworld but im also Bias. But the game had content in every nook and cranny of that game. Loved Minish Caps overworld, actually all of the gameboy titles. LoZs was alright, it was a good start, whereas AoL was kind or a crappy overworld and kinda felt like a lot was lost with the transitions to sidescrolling. Even though the sidescrolling is what i loved most about it, it was still a zelda game yet so very different.

WW is a lil sketchy for me. I mean the dungeon were cool, but there were so few, and thats hard to overlook. and the overworld "felt" barren, but there was so much sea, and only one little island unless there was a dungeon there, and actually two of them are small island with just an entrance to a dungeon. But if all the Island were one landmass, i could easily say that it was a great overworld with lots of content. overall i still like the game.

Twilight Princess was an even playing field, a good but sometime empty overworld but not too bad, and the dungeon were stellar. so i can choose one over the other. OoT was a good start for 3D, the overworld seemed empty, but at its time of release it was a really big step and seemed plenty full. Then we get MM, which completely NAILED the overworld with all sidequest, and goodies everywhere. yeah there were only four dungeons, but the overworld was really big even in comparison to OoT.

SS on the other hand, while im not trying to say it was a horrible game, but there were so many things done wrong, most notably the disconnected areas, which made the whole feel of traveling those areas seem to like they lack substance due to them not being part of one big world. Instead feeling like Levels instead of one continuous adventure. I dont know, it was an alright game with lots of cool new ideas that felt progressive. Just so many things about it that broke the immersion.

In the end, i guess I look forward to exploring the world more than the dungeon, though I dont want to take anything away from the dungeons themselves, or say they arent good. I just like adventuring more than dungeon dwelling.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I have to say I lean more towards the overworld. When it's done right it's a ton of fun to explore and experience. Wind Waker's overworld was one I really enjoyed. I wanted to visit everything, to figure out every secret. The minute the King of Red Lions allowed me to sail anywhere I wanted, I went around the entire overworld collecting those map pieces, because I wanted to know what else was out there. And I went around looking at and looking for all that I could find.

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
I actually like most dungeons better. I know I'm going to get some new equipment and I like the fighting in Zelda games too. I also get a nice sense of achievement when I solve a puzzle I've been stuck on. Some dungeons are annoying though. The best part of the over world for me is finding caves and stuff which are like mini dungeons in a way. Like aLBW had the caves where all you'd get was 200 rupees, I loved the little puzzles in them even if the rewards weren't brilliant.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Many fans look forward to the dungeons in their Zelda games and while a lot of them are fun, I'm a Zelda fan who prefers being out in the overworld. I like the feeling of being out in the open and having large expanses to travel through rather than being stuck in one perilous indoor location that i know i wont be getting out of until after i've run something through my Master Sword...

So, which do you prefer?

Ar you an overworld person or a dungeon person?

I'm not either. Like with alot of things it is the balance and variety that I like about Zelda games rather than a particular aspect.

TheRockinStallion

If I'm not back in 15 minutes, just wait longer!
Didn't we cover that already? I'M A DUDE!
Hard to say. I like the exploration while being in the overworld but also the puzzles and action in the temples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom