• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Oradon Province

I'm trying to Figure out at what point did oradon join the hyrulian alliance. I'm pretty sure it had to be some time between OOT and TP. What do you think?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Is there anything to suggest it's part of any "alliance?" As far as I could tell it's just a neighboring country with a peaceful relationship with Hyrule. I don't remember seeing any evidence of Ordona aiding Hyrule in the battle in the north.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
Yeah, I'm with Locke on this.
We aren't even sure if Hyrule is allied with it. It seems to be a neutral thing. Are there any signs of any Ordon symbols in the Hyrule market and castle area? We know they trade with them, as there is Ordon cheese and Milk around Hyrule, but not much else...

Djinn

and Tonic
I do not think I would go as far as call it a neighboring country. It was a separate province in the Greater Hyrule autocracy that might have been a relatively independant but lacking in any real government since it was only a small village out in the eastern wilderness. That Hyrule either absorbed through size or need for defense by the people of Ordon. They were a similar people that spoke the same language as the Hylians. Many feudal countries and city states held on to outer regions like that, considering the villages a part of the kingdom, but left the people of those villages mostly alone. Sometimes sending a single governor to keep the people in line or maintain contact with the royal court.

They appear to be little more than just an outlying village that is for the most part left alone in the greater scheme of things as far as Hyrule is concerned. But they still pay a regular tribute to the Hylians, the ordon sword was this in the game, since they are subjects in the Hyrule kingdom. Hyrule did appear to have annexed the Gerudo Desert some time in their past and repurposed the Arbiter's Grounds into a prison, the Zora kingdom exists completely within Hyrule's borders and is a subject sate. The Goron cist could be considered one as well, but their home is much smaller and closely resembles another tiny village within the lands of Hyrule. Separating lands into smaller provinces is common for kingdoms such as this as well, It helps the King rule the greater kingdom more easily and leaves the outer provinces to be governed by others loyal to the king, I believe this is what Nintendo was trying to portray in TP.

Pen

The game is on!
I think Ordona is a newly taken province to Hyrule by the time of Twilight Princess since it is on the Hyrule map, but the Ordonians are not likely to be known as Hyrulians probably because the Ordona province hasn't belonged to Hyrule that long after all.
Ordona_province.jpg

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I do not think I would go as far as call it a neighboring country. It was a separate province in the Greater Hyrule autocracy that might have been a relatively independant but lacking in any real government since it was only a small village out in the eastern wilderness. That Hyrule either absorbed through size or need for defense by the people of Ordon. They were a similar people that spoke the same language as the Hylians. Many feudal countries and city states held on to outer regions like that, considering the villages a part of the kingdom, but left the people of those villages mostly alone. Sometimes sending a single governor to keep the people in line or maintain contact with the royal court.

They appear to be little more than just an outlying village that is for the most part left alone in the greater scheme of things as far as Hyrule is concerned. But they still pay a regular tribute to the Hylians, the ordon sword was this in the game, since they are subjects in the Hyrule kingdom. Hyrule did appear to have annexed the Gerudo Desert some time in their past and repurposed the Arbiter's Grounds into a prison, the Zora kingdom exists completely within Hyrule's borders and is a subject sate. The Goron cist could be considered one as well, but their home is much smaller and closely resembles another tiny village within the lands of Hyrule. Separating lands into smaller provinces is common for kingdoms such as this as well, It helps the King rule the greater kingdom more easily and leaves the outer provinces to be governed by others loyal to the king, I believe this is what Nintendo was trying to portray in TP.

I agree with mush of this mostly because throughout the game people from outside ordona treat ordona almost like an complete other place as if it had no relation to The entirety of Hyrule. This can be plainly seen at the point in the game when Wolf Link is climbing the rafters of Telma's bar and can over here the explorers talking about Link as though he came from a far away place (I.E. Ordona). But at the same time it has to be somewhat within the autocracy of Hyrule because In the beginning Link was sent to bring the sword to the royal family which in the way they picture it try to make it seem like a big feat thus showing that they are below the royal family and are probably part of the kingdom. (Im hoping this logic makes since.)

Retsdob

Retsdob
Oradon is to Hyrule as the Virgine Isles are to the U.S. Not really a part of the bigger one, but might as well be. And it's impossible to say when Oradon sprang up. Since tp was after oot and there wasn't oradon in oot that could mean that it didnt exist or was simply off the map during oot. Really there's insufficient information, we know very little of that world other than Hyrule (Excluding Termina, the desert ect.)

expanding on the ordon village being part of the kokiri forest theory: it could be that the ordonians were settlers that moved into the forest, long after the known form of kokiri changed or moved or whatever they did. this would also explain why ordonians are human not hylian.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
I personally think Ordon is kind of like Puerto Rico to the US. There is a Light Spirit there, which seems to solidify the point that it is completely part of Hyrule. However, even though it is a province, the other three areas are provinces too. Maybe Ordona is simply a conquest beyond the boundaries of Hyrule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom