• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time OoT Master Quest? Is It Worth Buying?

D

Dimitri_Dodongo

Alright, after many, many years of collecting and beating Zelda games I've managed to own every game in the series bar the Game and watch Zelda's, the three Zelda CDI's, OoT Master Quest and several other remakes.

Anyway, I've been curious about OoT Master quest for a while, considering it's rare even on ebay to find a PAL version (Need it for my Australian Wii/Cube D=) Let alone one under $70 Au >.<.

So in you opinions, is MQ all that much different than OoT for the 64?

Gyorg Hater

I speak fluent gibberish
I actually have a copy of it myself and it is sort of different from Oot. There are higher difficulty dungeons, many areas you didn't see in the original, and more things to do. However, the story is the same and the dialogue is the same (at least I believe it is).

Overall, it's the same game, just much harder to finish.

Sstorm

Some Legends Never Die...
I have never gotten a chance to play MQ and although I would love to, I don't know if it is worth the 70$ as from what I can tell, it is only a bit different than the original and not a completely new game

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Only the dungeons are different, and most of them are harder, with the exception of the Water Temple, which is easier. It does seem a bit expensive though, so I'd consider that.

OotLord1003

Young Link
I loved Master Quest, Mainly because I got bored of beating Oot thirty-nine billion times. So I got it, and was very satisfied, it's much harder, and feels like the REAL Ocarina of Time. The bosses are also a smidge harder, so I highly reccommend getting the game! It's worth it! (and a challenge!!!)

J

Jarnes

I think that its worth it personally. I've played through MQ about 4 times in the past year and its been a challenge each time. I liked it so much more that I've forgotten what the original was even like

Kybyrian

I would definitely recommend purchasing Master Quest. I got it because it came with my Gamecube when I got it, as well as the little GBA Player. I think it is an absolutely wonderful modification of the old game. The dungeons are most certainly difficult, save for maybe a couple. Personally, I thought that the Water Temple was eased up on and the Fire Temple was made the hardest dungeon the game. The Fire Temple was certainly no pushover. I can almost guarantee that you will have some trouble figuring out the puzzles in the Master Quest version. I assure you that the puzzles are not the same as the original Ocarina of Time, and I hope that you don't expect them to be. If you're going about it like the original puzzles then you're just going to crash and burn. I actually had some trouble with the Great Deku Tree in one part for about 5-10 minutes before I figured out what to do.

The Golden Skulltula locations are also mixed around. The ones in places that you can enter, that is. The Hyrule Field locations of Golden Skulltulas are just like they were originally, but the ones in the Great Deku Tree, Fire Temple, etc. are all moved around. Don't go searching for the skulltulas in places that they were in the previous games because they most likely won't be there! We don't have a Master Quest guide yet, either, so don't go to relying on Caleb to babysit you through the game. :P

In all, it is a very good game. I would most certainly say go out and get it.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
You don't have to pay $70 for it!

It's available on the VC for about $8, same as the original OoT. That collector's CD isn't the only source of it anymore.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it on there, anyway. I hope it's still there. But I just looked around online, and I don't see it anymore.

Nevermind... I might be imagining things. $70 seems like a lot of money to pay for something that I got for free with Wind Waker. I got it because WW didn't get enough preorders, so they were giving away the MQ bonus disc with copies of WW.

I honestly prefer the original OoT, because it just feels "fuller," whereas several dungeons in MQ allow you to skip half the dungeon if you stay alert and don't allow yourself to be mislead by your previous knowledge of the game. I got really sick of the using Bombchus in the Spirit Temple, because I had to keep going to Hyrule Castle Town as a child to win more, due to my bad aim. Also, some of the new puzzles look out of place, and don't really seem to fit the dungeon theme quite as well as the originals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom