• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OOT Ending - Why Weren't Mido and King Zora Celebrating?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
As far as King Zora is concerned I always just assumed that his physiology precluded him from taking part in the dancing, but I suppose him missing his daughter is a better explanation. In Mido's case, though, I think that part of the reason he seems upset may be that Link is no longer around, having been sent back in time by Zelda, and thus Mido is unable to apologize to Link for treating him so badly, which is something I'm sure he wants to do after finding out that his world was saved by the guy he bullied for so long.
To add, Mido would probably also be sad that Saria has left the Forest to become a Sage.

It's always been unclear to me what the role of a sage is supposed to mean. Looking at all games, it doesn't look like they disappear from the physical world. Medli and Makar for example, they both awakened as sages before joining Link to the temples, but they never lost their physical forms. Now one could argue the sages had died in Ocarina of Time, but that would give a question mark on Wind Waker why they needed to awaken new sages if dead sages would do just fine. At the end of Ocarina of Time, they all stand together on top of Death Mountain, indicating they are not bound to their temples or some spiritual realm at all. So I doubt the sages would never return to where they came from. It seems they're just people that have an awakened status, and have been guarding the temples until evil has been defeated. So in the end when evil is defeated in OOT, they wouldn't necessarily need to keep on guarding the temples and thus should be able to return.

Also, I've been looking up that Gossip Stone quote, but all it refers to is Link and not Kokiri in general:
"They say that one Kokiri has left the forest, but he is still alive!"

Last edited:
It's always been unclear to me what the role of a sage is supposed to mean. Looking at all games, it doesn't look like they disappear from the physical world. Medli and Makar for example, they both awakened as sages before joining Link to the temples, but they never lost their physical forms. Now one could argue the sages had died in Ocarina of Time, but that would give a question mark on Wind Waker why they needed to awaken new sages if dead sages would do just fine. At the end of Ocarina of Time, they all stand together on top of Death Mountain, indicating they are not bound to their temples or some spiritual realm at all. So I doubt the sages would never return to where they came from. It seems they're just people that have an awakened status, and have been guarding the temples until evil has been defeated. So in the end when evil is defeated in OOT, they wouldn't necessarily need to keep on guarding the temples and thus should be able to return.

Also, I've been looking up that Gossip Stone quote, but all it refers to is Link and not Kokiri in general:
"They say that one Kokiri has left the forest, but he is still alive!"
I think the reason Medli and Makar are outside at the end of The Wind Waker is because Hyrule is destroyed, along with their temples and Ganondorf. They seem to be freed from their sage responsibilities. I'm not sure if the sages in Ocarina of Time have the same degree of freedom.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think the reason Medli and Makar are outside at the end of The Wind Waker is because Hyrule is destroyed, along with their temples and Ganondorf. They seem to be freed from their sage responsibilities. I'm not sure if the sages in Ocarina of Time have the same degree of freedom.
Medli and Makar weren't just sages in particular. They were sages meant to pray for the Master Sword so it wouldn't lose the power to repel evil. After Wind Waker not only is Hyrule destroyed, but the Master Sword is gone also - at that point there is no longer a need for them to continue serving as sages for a relic that will never be re-obtained.

zangetsu468

Demon Slayer
Well Mido had this thunder stolen by Saria (only to be redeemed in AOL when named after that town) and King Zora always looks a little blue.
The whole Kokiri dying thing is never specific to time taken for death to occur, though I'm also not sure if the ending is meant to be taken literally.
Also that legend of the Kokiri could have been implemented by the Deku tree as they had no way of defending themselves in times of war. They're simply not a fighting tribe, this is evident after Link finds out the Deku tree was cursed by Ganondorf and no reference is made to the Kokiri having tried to prevent him, not even the tough Mido.

King Zora is very large, and Mido is the pinnacle of "Too Cool For School."
Like kids who won't dance at a party.
Though, I'll acknowledge that the sadness of losing their loved one could easily be a factor.

If you think about it, it makes sense. After all, both of them never probably saw something like this coming; Mido was shocked that Saria turned out to be the Sage of Forest, and King Zora didn't know what to think of the fact that his daughter was the Sage of Water. I'm not sure whether Mido actually knew whether Link was the Hero of Time or not, but still.

King Zora feels ashamed he was unable to protect Zora's domain from Ganondorf and the great Mido is probably upset he wasn't able to help save the world. He always considered himself to be special.
Yeah, I always took it to mean that they were kind of feeling alone without the people they had cared for.
Medli and Makar weren't just sages in particular. They were sages meant to pray for the Master Sword so it wouldn't lose the power to repel evil. After Wind Waker not only is Hyrule destroyed, but the Master Sword is gone also - at that point there is no longer a need for them to continue serving as sages for a relic that will never be re-obtained.
^That's a really good point.

One thing I always wonder about with the OoT Sages, is whether or not they had to lose their lives to become sages. It's going into fan theory teritory, but pretty much all of them end up in a situation where they could have actually died. We don't know what happened to Saria. The last we see of Darunia before he becomes a sage, he's going to fight Volvagia and seemed to be unsuccessful. Ruto just disappears after you meet her again. Impa goes to the Shadow Temple and is never seen again. And Naboru is possibly killed by the Twinrova Sisters in front of you (possibly).

I see it as them feeling sad over losing loved ones. King Zora lost his daughter, and Mido lost Link and Saria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom