• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Oot Deku Nut Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Gamecube Collector's Edition version of Ocarina of Time. I know that in some versions of the game that you can't get the deku nut capacity upgrade from the forest stage after you get the master sword. :deku: I can't get it with the mask of truth. Does the glitch exist in this version of the game, or do I just need another mask, because I tried them all at least once and I only got the deku stick upgrade and I want to get 100% but i don't want to restart. :( If anyone could clear this up for me I would be happy.

CZG

As far as I know, having played only the gold cartridge on the N64 (v1.1?),
You can loan old masks over and over again, just by selecting them in The Happy Mask shop.
I'm not sure if you actually need to finish the whole mask quest, I assumed you can get the previous one at all tmes...

Either way, you seem to have the Mask of Truth already, so that shouldn't be the problem.
Just try to get it from the shop and hope for the best.
I don't believe it was a glitch, it was just Nintendo being friendly again, which is usually a good thing.

Another thing you might want to pay attention to are the spiders in soft soil.
As far as I can remember, those were the only missable things in OoT.

Well I got the deku stick upgrade, but not the deku nut one that lets you hold 30-40 nuts. I think I remember reading that after you have gotten the master sword and if you go back as a child you can't get it. This was supposedly a bug in some earlier versions of the game.

CZG

You did get the other upgrade I suppose?
(Business scrub near the Sacret Forest Meadow, wasn't it?)

If you already got that one, I think you are lost.
I think I was lucky with my version of the game. I could get it whenever I wnated (If I remember that right).

Oh one more thing. I believe that the Mask of Truth did random effects at te , like the bombchu gallery or something.
You could take a shot on that and hope you can still get it after trying lots of times ???

There are 2 upgrades, 30 and 40 and you get them from a business scrub and the forest stage. I don't think you understand what I mean. Go to the zelda dungeon main site and go to ocarina of time and then forest stage. It will explain there.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
There is a buisness Deku and you have to give something he wants and he will give you an upgrade I hope this helps you.

D

Deku Nutter

I'm afraid i think you're right that there is a bug on the game associated with this. If you go don't do this before you grow up for the first time, when you attempt it later on after coming back they don't give you the upgrade. It's happened to me too, although luckily deku nuts are probably the least useful item in the game.

I think in later versions of the game they've amended this by making the upgrade available for random masks, so just try every other mask from the Happy Mask shop and see if it works.

Flute Boy

ganon slayer
well, i tried the same thing, it appears this glitch is pretty much in every version of Oot except for the gold version, i cant even get it on master quest version... and it is immpossible on the collectors addition, i am sorry. i am stuck in the same hole, but i just say i 100% anyway, because if it werent for the gllitch, i would have.

CZG

That's problably why I didn't see the problem.
I only played OoT on the gold N64 cartridge (V1.1?). Like most of us I suppose.
Oh well, the only place where they could be usefull, that I can think of so far, is Lord Jabu-Jabu's Belly.
Before you got the boomerang that is.

This is from the Zelda Dungeon OoT walkthrough NOT ME. But I'm gonna post it anyways. And it does work for gamecube collectors edition because it worked for me and I have the collector's edition.

The first upgrade lets you carry up to 30 Deku Nuts!

There's two upgrades for the Deku Nuts, but it doesn't matter which order you get them in:
1) As a child, enter the Lost Woods and go right, left, right, straight, left. There is a single boulder in this area just before the Sacred Forest Meadow. Blow it up and jump down the hole. Inside, defeat the Business Scrub, who will then be willing to sell you the upgrade for 40 Rupees.
2) As a child, enter the Lost Woods and go right, left, right, left, left. In this hidden meadow, walk around in the grass where the butterflies are hanging out and you'll find a hole. In this secret area, wear a mask (usually the Mask of Truth) to make the Deku down here give you the upgrade.

Z

ZeldaNut

It's when you pick up the Poacher's Saw, as part of the Biggoron's Sword chain quest. Somebody on Youtube posted a video about it, showing the Deku Nut upgrade (for the Mask of Truth) available, then getting the Poacher's Saw from a character in the Lost Woods, then showing the Deku Nut upgrade no longer available. I don't take credit. I didn't discover the answer.

Picking up any item or completing any task in OoT sets flags for the quest status in the game's memory. A programmer accidentally used the same flag for the Poacher's Saw as was used for that Deku Nut upgrade, ie. there is a slight overlap in the flags for items gathered in the Lost Woods. It makes sense since game designers tend to group flags for one area together, and both the Deku Nut upgrade and the Poacher's Saw are obtained in the Lost Woods. So when you get the Poacher's Saw, the game mistakenly records that you have completed the Deku Nut upgrade as well.

It most likely affects ALL versions of the game. It's just that some of you got the upgrade after getting the Master Sword and becoming an adult but still before getting the Poacher's Saw, and thought you had a "fixed version" of the game.

Try it yourself. Leave the Deku Nut upgrade (for the Mask of Truth) until you get up to the point where you get the Poacher's Saw in the Lost Woods. Don't get the Saw yet (It might be a good idea to save your game here). Try the Mask of Truth at the judges and you should see the BIG Deku Scrub wake up, showing you the Deku Nut upgrade is available. Without getting the upgrade, exit the hole and reenter. Try it again. It should do the same thing every time (wake up big Scrub) until you get the upgrade. The game doesn't randomize the Deku Scrub reaction until the upgrade is gone. Now if you got the upgrade, reload your game so that you don't have it. Head to the room where you get the Poacher's Saw and get it. Now try the Mask of Truth for the judges and they should now act like they already gave you the upgrade (they will do random things now: attack you or leave rupies, etc.). That should have proven it to you.

Another thing: there is confusion too about using the Skull Mask (the one you sell to the Skull Kid in the Lost Woods) at the judges. This is a different upgrade. That's the other Deku STICK upgrade. The Business Scrub in the lower area in the room next to the Skull Kid you sold the Skull Mask to (the room with the soft soil for planting beans and bugs), sells you one Deku STICK upgrade. Using the Skull Mask at the mask judges gives you the OTHER Deku STICK upgrade. The Business Scrub you find in a hole after bombing the rock at the entrance to the Sacred Forest Meadow sells you one Deku NUT upgrade. Using the Mask of Truth (BEFORE OBTAINING THE POACHER'S SAW) gets you the OTHER Deku NUT upgrade.

Hope this clears everything up.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Daogamer is right I played OoT on the regular cartridge and I never found out about these Deku Nut capacity upgrades until before Ganon's Castle and I could still get them but I also was playing it on N64 so it maybe different for certain systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom