• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild One thing I'm concerned about.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
bug testing (minor job)
""""no""""

This will probably be the last post by me on here depending what happens and whether or not I'm able to make a video to further explain to you people why what Aonuma said CONFIRMS the game is STILL being HEAVILY worked on!
"I calculate there is a 100% probability that I will see you tomorrow." - Fi

Jamie

For a WELL EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONAL company like NINTENDO, """"yes""""
Bug testing, even for a company like Nintendo, is a very long process, often 20%+ of the entire process.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Bug testing, even for a company like Nintendo, is a very long process, often 20%+ of the entire process.

not if most of it is being done during the main development of the game, which IS as CONFIRMED by Nintendo the case with this game.

So after main development, it would only take about at most one month or two to finish with bug testing and polishing.

According to Aonuma, it doesn't sound like only doing something that only takes them about a month or so. It sounds like they're still hard at work on the main development.

If they were only just working on finishing touches like bug fixes and polishing, then Aonuma would've be present at GA 2016 in the flesh and he would say that the game's main development is complete, that they're just working on finishing touches, and that the game will be releasing in March.

But apparently that wasn't the case. The game or at least one of the versions of the game is being heavily worked on. Otherwise Aonuma wouldn't appear on screen saying "Sorry guys, I couldn't appear at the GA, since I don't have time to break away from some serious work on Breath of the Wild".

It's clearly obvious to me that you really don't seem to understand how game development works.

Trust me, I speak with experience and knowledge. And I'm just a one person expert amateur fan game and original game developer. I am an expert at how games are made. I taught myself and even learned about it from a book, on the internet, and even in school.

So I know enough to know that when a game developer says the he and his team are "VERY BUSY WORKING" on a game, then later two people apart the company and one of the game's localization teams say that the game is coming about next year, no specific month or date, cancelling out any previous word of release date saying a more specific date (in this case, including a month), that means that game is clearly still in development.

You can say or belief what you want. But just know that when it comes that at least one of the two versions of BotW or both gets delayed cause of the need of more time, or Wii U version gets cancelled cause the Switch version is not done yet and coming out so late in 2017 or sometime in 2018 that releasing the Wii U version has become pointless burden. I will be here to say "I told you so".

Jamie

not if most of it is being done during the main development of the game, which IS as CONFIRMED by Nintendo the case with this game.

So after main development, it would only take about at most one month or two to finish with bug testing and polishing.

According to Aonuma, it doesn't sound like only doing something that only takes them about a month or so. It sounds like they're still hard at work on the main development.

If they were only just working on finishing touches like bug fixes and polishing, then Aonuma would've be present at GA 2016 in the flesh and he would say that the game's main development is complete, that they're just working on finishing touches, and that the game will be releasing in March.

But apparently that wasn't the case. The game or at least one of the versions of the game is being heavily worked on. Otherwise Aonuma wouldn't appear on screen saying "Sorry guys, I couldn't appear at the GA, since I don't have time to break away from some serious work on Breath of the Wild".

It's clearly obvious to me that you really don't seem to understand how game development works.

Trust me, I speak with experience and knowledge. And I'm just a one person expert amateur fan game and original game developer. I am an expert at how games are made. I taught myself and even learned about it from a book, on the internet, and even in school.

So I know enough to know that when a game developer says the he and his team are "VERY BUSY WORKING" on a game, then later two people apart the company and one of the game's localization teams say that the game is coming about next year, no specific month or date, cancelling out any previous word of release date saying a more specific date (in this case, including a month), that means that game is clearly still in development.

You can say or belief what you want. But just know that when it comes that at least one of the two versions of BotW or both gets delayed cause of the need of more time, or Wii U version gets cancelled cause the Switch version is not done yet and coming out so late in 2017 or sometime in 2018 that releasing the Wii U version has become pointless burden. I will be here to say "I told you so".
oh gee its almost as if youre not the only person on the planet earth who has designed games and has learned about them extensively.

have fun on that last bit, ill be playing this game by the summer im sure

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Vita, you need to calm down. The insulting and exploading in debates needs to stop or we will be taking serious action. Consider this your final warning for this on this forum. There is no need to shout with CAPS and symbols. Good arguments don't need them. Other people can hold different opinions without it being an attack on you. Debating civilly and maturely is what we are looking for on this forum.

That being said I am disappointed to have seen some baiting in this thread from other people (which has now been removed and appropriate warnings sent). Baiting an argument from someone who is likely to explode is not helping at all and any further baiting posts in this thread will result in infractions.

Zachie

Moo
Unless any of us work for Nintendo, none of us are in a place to decide what's a difficult or easy job for them to do. Them saying they're very busy working on BOTW is a very broad term & can mean that they're on any development stage.

As of now, Nintendo haven't given any kind of release date other then "2017" that means that they have 365 days to finish the game and release it.

I, for one, am of the opinion that Nintendo will release the game simultaneously for Wii U & Switch regardless of whether they've said that the Wii U is dead. They announced "Zelda U" on the Wii U originally, and every single piece of gameplay minus the most recent with the host guy (in Australian so I don't remember him) has been on Wii U, so it'd be a pretty big case of false advertising if they threw away the Wii U version now and a lot of people would be very upset.

Ugh. That's it! You know what! I'm done! I am sick and tired of the ridiculous counter-arguments based on ZERO evidence versus my argument based on one POWERFUL evidence!

Aonuma would NOT say "VERY BUSY WORKING" if he and his team were just working on localization (which is usually mostly done by people in all headquarters OUTSIDE of Japan), bug testing (minor job), and polishing (again, minor job, especially for a professional company like Nintendo).

The fact you people keep on MISUNDERSTANDING his words being the ALMOST the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he ACTUALLY MEANS is NAUSEATING enough to make an intelligent robot malfunction from confusion!

What Aonuma is saying is that HE and HIS TEAM at Nintendo of JAPAN are STILL VERY HARD AT WORK on the game somehow. So it is CONFIRMED FACT that BotW is somehow is STILL in development! Whether it both versions of the game, or one of them. We don't know yet. But what IS CONFIRMED though is that NoJ IS STILL WORKING HEAVILY on BotW. Also, what interestingly FURTHER BACKS my argument is the FACT that Bill and Nate stated that BotW is releasing in just 2017. No specific month or date. Just 2017! They didn't say March at ALL in that video.

This will probably be the last post by me on here depending what happens and whether or not I'm able to make a video to further explain to you people why what Aonuma said CONFIRMS the game is STILL being HEAVILY worked on!

In trying to understand what you're saying here, it's that the game is still being heavily worked on by Nintendo EAD Group 2 (Eiji Aonuma's Group) and that it likely won't make a march 2017 release date. There are rumors that of course back you up, and the continual 2017 dates with no release month given.

However, if you would like some factual evidence: http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/b...tising-in-game-uk-lists-march-as-release-date

That is store advertising sent by Nintendo. Even GameStop in the United States has gotten it, and all of the BoTW advertising they have gotten says March 2017 on it. These advertisements came from Nintendo. NOW, it is possibly these are older runs of advertising and new ones that will have exact release dates on them later this year will clarify things further, but reality is, we have actual store advertising from Nintendo claiming Wii U and Switch versions landing in March. I know you keep saying there is no factual evidence, so I provided some.

Polish/Bug testing is extremely rigorous. It takes up a huge chunk of development time at Nintendo. Ever wonder why their games release so polished? Because they spend the necessary time to get it as right as they can. All of this polish is done by Nintendo EAD Group 2 (for this title). So of course they are still working on it. Until it goes gold and they start printing discs/cartridges, the game is still being worked on. It's just in the final stages of that work.

It truly is. Having worked in video game testing before, there are often 6+ months dedicated to bug testing and fixing.

I bolded the parts I want to respond to since I don't know what has been going on with quotes lately. Anyways, I am extremely glad you have worked on making video games. That you have some experience, some self teaching, and even some schooling on the topic. So do I. None of this makes me an expert, as you seem to be claiming. And I bring this up not to bait you, but because I seriously think, based on your own words, that you have no idea how development on a AAA title works. Especially a massive open world game like BoTW. Polish/bug fixing isn't a one or two month process - heck it isn't that for any AAA game. Ones the size of BoTW are very arduous. It takes half a year at times to really get things working just right and get just enough bugs ironed out. Yes, Eiji Aonuma could not attend the GA2016 because he is busy on the game, but see, they are literally bug fixing and polishing two versions of a massive open world game. Two months to pull that off? Chances are they have been doing it for awhile already. It's a huge part of development with Nintendo's games.

Again, see the polish all their games have at launch that many AAA games don't. It's because Nintendo views it as a vitally important part of development and they try hard not to half ass it.

Unless any of us work for Nintendo, none of us are in a place to decide what's a difficult or easy job for them to do. Them saying they're very busy working on BOTW is a very broad term & can mean that they're on any development stage.

As of now, Nintendo haven't given any kind of release date other then "2017" that means that they have 365 days to finish the game and release it.

I, for one, am of the opinion that Nintendo will release the game simultaneously for Wii U & Switch regardless of whether they've said that the Wii U is dead. They announced "Zelda U" on the Wii U originally, and every single piece of gameplay minus the most recent with the host guy (in Australian so I don't remember him) has been on Wii U, so it'd be a pretty big case of false advertising if they threw away the Wii U version now and a lot of people would be very upset.

There in store advertising now states Wii U and Switch. So I think it's pretty much been decided for certain that's happening. In store ads now say March too. At this point, the only things not pointing to March are some rumors. Either way, none of us work at Nintendo and Nintendo does things differently than others. All I know is, AAA game stuff takes more than a couple months of polish - that is for the companies that care and don't want massive day one, week 2, week 3, patches,

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
@Nathanial Rumphol-Janc

I would NOT believe anything regarding BotW's release status unless it's straight from Nintendo's mouths. And so far what they said at GA 2016 (the lasted thing they ever said about the game's development status and release status so far) seems to be backing the rumors.

A release date a store doesn't mean anything! Trust me, I know from bad experiences with waiting for TP! I remember EB Games and Gamestop would put bogus release dates assuming when the game was coming based on word from the internet. And these release dates were very specific and precise, including the month, day, and year. Making it seem legit.

So wouldn't trust that release date listing for BotW at UK's Gamestop until unless Nintendo themselves actually says something. And I bet ya any money that if anything, it's going to be word of god dismissing that date.

Also, lastly, have you tried to make a open world game like BotW? I get what you're trying to say, but part of me feel you're only basing on what it'd be like for an amateur developer or development team to work on an open world game BotW. You're talking like that Nintendo doesn't have the professional knowledge, experience, and potential work on a open world game with ease, like that they even made a 3D video game before. I can't help but feel that your words lack faith in Nintendo.

Nintendo has made video games since the Arcade Era of Gaming. And they've always had some of the most top notch programmers of Japan. They know what they're doing. Every Zelda game they've made has been a success because have such talented programmers. So I know enough about they're history and experience with video games to know that bug fixes and polishing is nothing compared to main development, even for an open world game like BotW.

Plus, besides Nintendo works fast. They practically spend every day on their games. So as HMK always usually says, Nintendo are ninjas when it comes to games. That's how I know that what Aonuma was talking about was not bug fixes and polishing but that the game is clearly still in development. In other words, the game is just not ready yet. At least, not for March.

@Nathanial Rumphol-Janc

I would NOT believe anything regarding BotW's release status unless it's straight from Nintendo's mouths. And so far what they said at GA 2016 (the lasted thing they ever said about the game's development status and release status so far) seems to be backing the rumors.

A release date a store doesn't mean anything! Trust me, I know from bad experiences with waiting for TP! I remember EB Games and Gamestop would put bogus release dates assuming when the game was coming based on word from the internet. And these release dates were very specific and precise, including the month, day, and year. Making it seem legit.

So wouldn't trust that release date listing for BotW at UK's Gamestop until unless Nintendo themselves actually says something. And I bet ya any money that if anything, it's going to be word of god dismissing that date.

Also, lastly, have you tried to make a open world game like BotW? I get what you're trying to say, but part of me feel you're only basing on what it'd be like for an amateur developer or development team to work on an open world game BotW. You're talking like that Nintendo doesn't have the professional knowledge, experience, and potential work on a open world game with ease, like that they even made a 3D video game before. I can't help but feel that your words lack faith in Nintendo.

Nintendo has made video games since the Arcade Era of Gaming. And they've always had some of the most top notch programmers of Japan. They know what they're doing. Every Zelda game they've made has been a success because have such talented programmers. So I know enough about they're history and experience with video games to know that bug fixes and polishing is nothing compared to main development, even for an open world game like BotW.

Plus, besides Nintendo works fast. They practically spend every day on their games. So as HMK always usually says, Nintendo are ninjas when it comes to games. That's how I know that what Aonuma was talking about was not bug fixes and polishing but that the game is clearly still in development. In other words, the game is just not ready yet. At least, not for March.

Nintendo as a first party company hasn't made an open world game since the 80's. Their 2nd party teams have. That being said, what I said isn't a lack of faith, it's a deep understanding of Nintendo's development cycle thanks to the iwata asks series. They spend close to 6 months polishing every game they release. I don't need to work at Nintendo when their developers are saying this stuff.

Believe it or not, Nintendo does not view every Zelda game as a success. They publicly stated SS's sales were disappointing, they were also not happy with how many copies TWW sold. This ignores sales flops like ST and TFH. So not everything they touch turns into sales gold. Sure you can argue they are all good games. But that's personal preference.

And you're referencing HMK now? I love the guy, worked with him many times. But man, he literally only knows what is publicly available. Nintendo is great at making really good games. But part of that is the immense attention to polish. I don't even know what we're going back and forth about. I'm not calling Nintendo incompetent. They simply make games differently, which is why they are so polished. You feel they pull off that mystic feat in two months. For some games, maybe. Never Zelda. Zelda spends many months getting polished and still some things get through.

As for March 2017, you're ignoring that the adverts came from Nintendo in the first place. I'm not talking about temporary dates they have in their system or online listings. I'm talking about in store advertising material provided by Nintendo. If you wish to say that advertising material is wrong, you are welcome too. But it doesn't change that it came from Nintendo. ;)

I guarantee you they're going to announce they've canceled the Wii-U release and Breath of the Wild will be a standalone Switch game.

Despite the development initially being for the Wii-U, I can't help but feel this is going to be the case. Yooka Laylee made the announcement recently which is part of the reason I expect it to happen with The Legend of Zelda.

What are your thoughts?

I'm not really worried about botw getting cancelled on the Wii U. The Wii U is certainly weak in the graphical department and BotW will be pushing the consle to its absolute limits which always means lag. The Switch will be able to run Botw better. My worry is that Nintendo is to quick too delay the game multiple times. This might mean better quality in the game but it's been delayed so many times that the hype has just gone through the roof. And with how much the game has been hyped, Botw might not meet our expectations. It might turn out like mighty number 9. And I really don't want that to happen to the Zelda franchise

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
they've been showing the Wii U version all this time. they aren't going to can it. that's ridiculous thinking. Yooka "Cash grab" Laylee is one thing, but a first party Nintendo ZELDA title (whose clout is second only to mario) being canceled is inane. they wouldn't show this product off like this to this day and say GACHA ITS CANCELED LOOOOL

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I'm not really worried about botw getting cancelled on the Wii U. The Wii U is certainly weak in the graphical department and BotW will be pushing the consle to its absolute limits which always means lag. The Switch will be able to run Botw better. My worry is that Nintendo is to quick too delay the game multiple times. This might mean better quality in the game but it's been delayed so many times that the hype has just gone through the roof. And with how much the game has been hyped, Botw might not meet our expectations. It might turn out like mighty number 9. And I really don't want that to happen to the Zelda franchise
Considering they've been developing it for the Wii-U this whole time I'd be surprised if it ended up running choppy. If there's one thing Nintendo are good at it's squeezing the most they can out of low demand graphics engines.

I agree the only other game I've seen with a similar leadup has been BioShock Infinite. There was massive hype surrounding the game's release after all the gameplay demos and delays until people actually played it.

Aku

@Nathanial Rumphol-Janc I'd be surprised if this debugging/polishing takes only six months given that not even a single dev can 100% this game on his own (in a reasonable amount of company time, at least.) They probably would need at least a year for a game this size, or at least a crap ton of people. So from February of 2016 to February of 2017? It could be six months as you said, but that short a period feels like it might be risky considering how much they were having issues with this game's physics engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom