• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

One Recurring Antagonist or Many New Ones?

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
As we all know, Ganon/dorf is the main antagonist of the Zelda series. However, lately people have been saying that they don't want him in Skyward Sword and say that he is not a good villian anymore. Of course, he is not in every game, in fact there are about 7 other antagonists in Zelda games. So, do you think that Nintendo should keep bringing back Ganondorf into future Zelda games or just make new ones? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

I think Ganon definitely needs to be in future games. However he does not fit in Skyward Sword. Ganon's beginnings were clearly in OoT. And with Skyward Sword being years before OoT then Ganon should not have a major role, if any, in SS.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I belive there is already a thread on this, but i'm not entirely sure.

Anyway-

I belive that if a villain is constantly reused, as Ganondorf is, they become less popular with experienced or older players. One can even guess what is going to happen, as if the villain is repeated, story elements are normally repeated too.

If the series is kept fresh with constant new villains, it adds more flare and appeal to new players and older players alike. It also keeps interest levels high, and eagerness to buy the next game increases as the player (if they're determined enough) would like to see the next villain without spoiling it for themselves online. (at least in my personal experience)

As a final statement, i'd like to say (and I think I may receive some negative comments about this) that I belive Ganondorf is becoming a worn out villain. Yes, he is the villain that made the series, but still, if he is constantly reused and re-used over and over again, he'll become a boring add on to a dying series of repetitiveness.

The formula needs to be kept fresh with new villains and spiced up storylines. That's what keeps a series interesting and appealing.

Majora's Cat

How about that
Believe it or not, I feel that the Zelda franchise is lost without Ganon. There have been several other antagonists in the series, but none of them have the flare that Ganon does.

Miyamoto said that they were trying to stray a bit more from the traditional Zeldas. I understand - every once in a while, a franchise needs to change it up to keep it fresh. Ganon should still remain a staple of the franchise, though. Without Ganon, the Zelda series will lose its gusto. It'll lose an icon - a great villain who has kept Link's adventures far from easy. Ganon is what made the Legend of Zelda games epic... there's no doubt about that.

There is the need to change up gameplay, graphics, an most of all the antagonist. There actually haven't been many Zelda games that have featured Ganon, but somehow his evil laugh has become very popular and known throughout the gaming industry and America's youth. Vaati was featured in nearly as many games as Ganon yet Vaati is not seen as one of the most menacing villains of all time. There's something unique about Ganon that makes him so popular - each and every Zelda he's been featured in is on of the best in the Zelda franchise. There shouldn't be any doubt that when Ganon rears his head in a Zelda game that it's going to be one for the history books.

Overall, Nintendo should stray a bit more off the beaten path - but not too much. I know that many Zelda fans would love to see Ganon pop up in another Zelda. But not too often - we don't want Ganon to become a... a... a Bowser. *Gulp*. Bowser has been so overused that he is no longer looked at as menacing - Bowser is simply a laughingstock. We don't want that happening to Ganon, as he is still epic. :)

Still, I wouldn't mind if the final boss in Skyward Sword was someone we haven't seen before.

Well Vaati has been in three games, and is 6 yrs old? TMC FS and FSA
Ganon has been in what, seven games and is24 yrs old? Loz, ALttP, OoT, OoS/OoA ending, FSA, WW, and TP

Yeah, Ganon is popular for a reason. Vaati is the second most used villain and has only been used as ganons pawn in one game, in a mini game basically, and has stared in a GBC game.
I personally would love to see new villains. I'd actually would like to see a new holder of the Triforce of Power or another leader of evil and have him star in like 5 games. Of course it could be later on in the timeline, and not in SS. But Zelda needs a fresh flair and a new villain always brings a new kind of feel to the game.

The only console games without Ganon is Adventure of Link and Majora's Mask and those games are really unique. Ganon needs a break from the console titles at least. Majora's Mask was wicked awesome

I think ganon is a great villian, but He's been in so many games that i don't know how they could make another unique game with him as the main character. =(

gannon used to be my absolute favorite villian, but lately im starting to like Vaati more.

maybe if they took a long break from ganon and brought him back a few games later?

hmmm i don't know... i just don't know =/

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
Ganon will be in future Zelda games, but hopefully not soon, old Ganny kind of needs a vacation. I hope that we have a new villian in SS. I am pretty sure we will have a new villian and I hope Nintendo makes the new villian more evil than Ganon.

Linkmaster

Die Hard Zelda Fan
I agree. We need a new villain. ...Okay, I'm about to get really cheesy here, but what about an ancestor to the Gerudo tribe or something?... actually, scratch that. *slaps himself* Let's leave it to the pros.

A

Anti-Hero

What I don't like is the fact that Ganondorf is always revived in some way, when there is supposed to be a male Gerudo born every 100 years. They should capitalize on that fact. Anyway, I loved Zant and hated how they threw him away. However, the series does need a new main antagonist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Ganon is great! He's been a unique evil vilian from the begining. I think Ganon should definatley be in the games for years to come, but they should also give Vatii a bigger role. But I also think they should keep making tons of new villians. I totally disagree with alot of people and say Ganon should be in SS, the final battle with him would be awesome! (and also include his trident nintendo!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom