• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds One Possible Positive Side to the Stamina Meter

Do you like the Stamina meter of "A Link Between Worlds"?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know

• Total voters

Salem

SICK
You know, you got things like Bombs and arrows that ran out but you actually need them for puzzle solving in dungeons?

In dungeons, there're scattered chests that hold bombs and arrows in other Zelda games. For example in Lakebed Temple in TP, it has a lot of water bombs in chests, other temples that extensively use the bow have arrows as rewards in chests.

Ya know, you find a chest "oh wants in that chest? The Map? Master Key?" NOPE! just some more bombs, JOY!:)

In this game, we won't have that, with the stamina meter, these things don't deplete anymore. Right now, I'm not sure it's positive or a negative, in fact, I lean neutral toward this issue, cause I rarely worry about these things plus the magic to run out. The games have been very generous about the quantitive items, so this stamina meter doesn't change much, does it?

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Can the stamina meter be upgraded? If not, BAD.

Also, about the chests always containing redundant items, that isn't a fault of ammunition. It's the fault of the developers not thoroughly going through dungeons and playing optimally. It's the fault of the developers not making those chests worthwhile. It's the fault of the developers not creating some sort of moneysink or interesting minigames which cause players to actively seek out said chests.

Using Lakebed Temple from TP, I can say that I really appreciated the Water Bomb chests. I always ran out of those things, because I was horrible at aiming and I also fooled around with them a lot. Players who know what they're doing, though, will find very little use for the chests. Tha's natural.

The stamina meter from ALBW though, well the ITEM Meter, seems to make chests really not wortwhile except for keys. I expect we'll be getting incredibly large rupee amounts from chests - I already saw a Silver Rupee chest which seems ridiculous to me - so I don't have too much of an opinion except a bit of negativity that will likly be cleared when I get my hands on the game.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I believe it's actually called something like the Item Meter, but whatever.

Yes, I like it -- or at least the concept of it. As I've gone over before, it trades out the need to keep a constant supply of ammo with the need to pay attention to how much of the meter you have right then and there and how much of it will be taken up when an item is used. It's a lot like a real-time RPG in that regard, only in a much more action-packed setting. I think this is a good mechanic for a faster-paced, top-down Zelda game, and if it's done well enough, I probably wouldn't mind seeing it return for future handheld titles.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I actually like the fact that pointless chest aren't going to be a problem anymore. It's just a wast of time, and ammunition doesn't become an issue when they just give you the items with item drops and chest. I like how it's more limited now. Yes, the meter refills itself, but you can't just spam arrows or bombs now. I like the concept of the item meter. I don't see the problem with the stamina/item meters to be honest.

Salem

SICK
Can the stamina meter be upgraded? If not, BAD.
Huh? Why?

Also, about the chests always containing redundant items, that isn't a fault of ammunition. It's the fault of the developers not thoroughly going through dungeons and playing optimally. It's the fault of the developers not making those chests worthwhile. It's the fault of the developers not creating some sort of moneysink or interesting minigames which cause players to actively seek out said chests.
What?

Using Lakebed Temple from TP, I can say that I really appreciated the Water Bomb chests. I always ran out of those things, because I was horrible at aiming and I also fooled around with them a lot. Players who know what they're doing, though, will find very little use for the chests. Tha's natural.
Oh, I don't believe I ever ran into problems like that, sometimes, when I know that chest has something in it, I use the item aimlessly so I can watch the numbers increase.:xd:

I believe it's actually called something like the Item Meter, but whatever.
Oh gosh darn it, now I gotta ask the mods to change the title of this thread and poll question.:rolleyes:

Yes, I like it -- or at least the concept of it. As I've gone over before, it trades out the need to keep a constant supply of ammo with the need to pay attention to how much of the meter you have right then and there and how much of it will be taken up when an item is used. It's a lot like a real-time RPG in that regard, only in a much more action-packed setting. I think this is a good mechanic for a faster-paced, top-down Zelda game, and if it's done well enough, I probably wouldn't mind seeing it return for future handheld titles.
Yeah, I like the possibilities of it, I'm not sure what this has to with real-time RPGs

I actually like the fact that pointless chest aren't going to be a problem anymore. It's just a wast of time, and ammunition doesn't become an issue when they just give you the items with item drops and chest. I like how it's more limited now. Yes, the meter refills itself, but you can't just spam arrows or bombs now. I like the concept of the item meter. I don't see the problem with the stamina/item meters to be honest.
Yeah, this makes all the potential treasure chest to be more likely something worthwhile rather than more bombs or arrows.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Yeah, I like the possibilities of it, I'm not sure what this has to with real-time RPGs

Real-time RPG's often have meters for special moves, such as Knights of the Old Republic's use of the Force. Using these special moves takes up a certain amount of the meter they're linked to, and the more powerful the move, the more of the meter is used up. The Item Meter works very similarly to this in that the items are the equivalent of special moves and different items take up different amounts of the meter.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Item Meter works very similarly to this in that the items are the equivalent of special moves and different items take up different amounts of the meter.

This right here is my problem with the meter. Items are not in ANY way a form of special move. I absolutely guarantee that we will find FORCED, REQUIRED moments for items (duh, this is friggin Zelda ;p). With that in mind, why should we have to pool EVERY ITEM to the same meter? Isn't that a bit, I dunno, ridiculous? I understand stuff like the Stamina Meter in SS being used for dashing, pushing, leaping, etc. But items are all very distinct. A hammer doesn't have the same properties as a bow; a bow uses ammunition where the hammer does not. And a bow does not use the same ammunition as bombs or a slingshot. I just don't like the idea of every item being forced into the same meter. It's still pulling off what is effectively ammunition, and it limits spammability (just invented a word), but it feels sort of arbitrary...artificial limition. :/

Still I have to PLAY THE GAME in order to concrete my feelings.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Items are absolutely the equivalent of special moves. They're not the main method of attack by any means, and generally require skill shots of sorts when used in combat. I don't see how you could argue against that. As I've said before, this is basically a streamlined method of what we're used to seeing, but with the same amount of depth, and I think this is a good move considering how much faster the combat seems to be.

Beyond that, though, this can be taken advantage of in the puzzles with quick bursts of timed resource management, much like the stamina-based sections in Skyward Sword. It's obvious Nintendo is already utilizing this with the drawing mechanic, but I hope they go beyond that and get the items involved, as well. It would be nice to see them used in a new and refreshing way.

Salem

SICK
Hold on a sec, a thought just came up, would this item meter blur the line between "magic" and physical weapon?

Last edited:

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I'm gonna with-hold my judgment till i play it, i see no real flaws yet! if it annoys me, ill complain, if i barley notice it... then well, it musta been designed right!

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Is EVERYTHING is news to me?.:O

Join the club. :dry:

Anyway, I think this "item metre" will have its ups and downs, just like practically everything in the Zelda series.

One thing I am fairly certain of is that this metre will increase the difficulty of the game, since you have to conserve your item usage. You can't just spam arrows to hit targets while on a spinning platform anymore. Although, I suppose it is fair to say that aiming in the 2D games is a lot different from aiming in the 3D games. Even still, I tend to use a lot of arrows in both types of games, and I will not be able to do that in ALBW.

Unfortunately, I feel like it will get a little bit annoying after a while. As much as I love the Stamina metre from Skyward Sword, I did find it quite annoying at times, particularly in the Lanayru Desert; and I fear the same thing is going to happen with this game. Each arrow diminishes it a little bit, as does each swing of the hammer. And the new drawing feature uses up a significant amount of it, so that is definitely something that will need to be watched for. The good thing about this, however, is that it enhances the gameplay quite a bit, by requiring the players to constantly be on the watch to make sure that it doesn't completely deplete. I am currently unaware of what will happen when it does deplete, but I have a feeling it will hinder Link's item usage, thus causing him to be in great danger while in a fight.

So, overall, I am excited to see what this metre does to the game. I have high hopes for it, even if I do feel like it will be a little annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom