• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Okami Or Skyward Sword

Which is better Okami or Skyward Sword

• Okami

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skyward Sword

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I had just heard of Okami a while ago and it looks fun. People say that if it were a zelda game it would be the best, being WAY better than SS. I want to know which one was better in ur opinion the latest Zelda SS or Okami?

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I have heard of Okami, but never played it, so I'll go with Skyward Sword for now. But I would like to try it out sometime.

That's a difficult question, as I think it's hard to even compare different titles in the Zelda series to one another. Just like I think what Zelda is the best is always up to the player to decide (because every Zelda has it's own gimmick, and how a person judges this one gimmick is totally personal), Okami and Skyward Sword are two different games, with two different artstyles, two different soundtracks, two different gameplays. I mean, they are pretty similar in gameplay, but they are still very different...if that makes any sense. So I would go with TheLuikinz' suggestion: rent it, or try to find some footage on the internet (like a trailer or a let's play).

I enjoyed Okami quite a bit but obviously preferred SS. This is a Zelda fansite after all, so I expect the poll results to be very biased.

I've played Okami, I got to a bit of the game where I had to paint something (I can't rememberwhat it was) and no matter how I painted it it wouldn't accept my drawing; maybe I suck at drawing with a wii remote or something, but I got so frustrated I quit and sold the game on eBay.

So yes I would say the game is completely different to SS. SS all the way for me:clap:

Nicole

luke is my wife
Wowww obviously a poll on a Zelda fansite does not yield good results for Okami. :P In my humble opinion, Okami is the best game I've even had the pleasure of playing. And I'm saying that having played every single main Zelda game. In fact, I harbor such a burning passion for Okami that I'm going to write you out a whole comparative review of it to try to convince you to get it. :)

Aesthetics
As far as graphics go, this is one of those "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" type deals. Skyward Sword certainly has beautiful watercolor graphics while Okami is made of a certain Japanese watercolor painting type. The graphics of Okami aren't realistic by any stretch of the imagination, but that's the point. Okami is a game based hugely on Japanese culture, invoking the gorgeous art of Japanese watercolors for its graphics. I simply adore the traditional Japanese style of Okami over Skyward Sword's style, but again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I can understand going with either.

Regarding audio, I feel Okami far surpasses Skyward Sword. SS in my opinion had just a few really good tracks, maybe two or three. Outside of those two or three, no other tracks from Skyward Sword really stood out to me. Okami, on the other hand, features such a wide range of emotions and holds a soundtrack that beautifully orchestrates those emotions (not to say that Okami literally has an orchestrated soundtrack, because I assume it doesn't). One of the things I love about Okami is how the music always fits the scene: a peaceful field with a soft, melodic theme imbued with adventure really sets the tone of the game early on; an abandoned, haunted pirate ship with a spooky theme that simply sets the perfect terrifying air; a mellow, heart-rending tune which can honestly make you tear up at certain points of the game. Skyward Sword's music had nowhere near the level of emotion to me.

Story/Plot
Skyward Sword has a pretty typical plot; it's been done before. Save the beautiful maiden with whom Link shares a very special bond. That is the main plot, and there really isn't any filler in between, story-wise. There are a few, very minor things, but it's obvious that this is the main plot. Skyward Sword is very linear in this respect. Okami is far less linear and opens up a huge world with many intricate plot lines. You will recognize the major plot line, but it is shrouded in mystery and it won't make itself obvious to you; you'll have to put pieces of the puzzle together yourself, which was quite fun for me as it's like theorizing. Additionally, there are an innumerable amount of characters involved in Okami: some will make you laugh until you cry, and others will simply make you cry as emotions get to you. Again, Okami is hugely draped in Japanese culture, and the characters, names, and locations are based on real Japanese cultures and religions. As such, the plot is very fantasy-esque.

Gameplay
I'll admit, both Okami and Skyward Sword had hugely frustrating moments with the motion controls. Okami's paint controls can be rather difficult at times as sometimes the game does not correctly recognize what you're trying to paint. Similarly, many people call Skyward Sword's controls over-responsive, picking up the wrong motions or picking up accidental small motions. I'll be totally honest. I got to the final battle of Skyward Sword, and the controls started frustrating me to the point where I set SS down and I haven't even thought about picking it back up. With Okami, everything else in the game was so great that it was worth dealing with the sketchy controls.

Both games have collectible items. Okami has many upgradable weapons, while Skyward Sword also introduced weapon upgrades. Okami's items include items to temporarily make you invulnerable, temporarily increase your attack strength, and replenish your health meter. Skyward Sword features a wider array of more commonly usable items, such as the Beetle.

Combat-wise, again the controls come into play. I would say Okami's combat style leaves something to be desired as every time you touch an enemy you enter "combat mode," which puts up a little force-field type thing around you which you can escape if you so choose. Comparatively, Skyward Sword has free-roaming enemies that you can more easily choose to attack.

Conclusion
Okami is a game which had a huge impact on me. I just couldn't put it down. It had such an emotional impression on me that it left me craving more once I completed it. Skyward Sword just wasn't that great of a game to me. It had nowhere near the emotional impact of Okami, and after a while, Skyward Sword left me rather bored. Due to its linearity, Skyward Sword was pretty straight-forward and just had the same feel throughout the game. It was also much shorter compared to Okami, which had some great rewards for sidequests and collectibles. Okami was such a well put together game; it just perfectly meshed throughout as every aspect of it came into play.

Note
I bought Okami at Gamestop for $20 and Skyward Sword I would assume is about $40 currently (which you could probably Google search to know for sure). If you're low on cash, I would easily suggest starting with Okami, but I would recommend playing both games. Skyward Sword didn't really do it for me, but I know many Zelda fans loved it greatly, so to each is to own. :)

I would say Okami. While I am a serious Zelda fan, Skyward Sword didn't exactly live up to my expectations. I have played most of Okami and enjoy it immensely. It is a different story with some quirky characters and a very pretty art style. If you wanted to get Skyward Sword I would suggest you wait until the price goes down. Okami I think is your best bet at the moment.

Wowww obviously a poll on a Zelda fansite does not yield good results for Okami. :P In my humble opinion, Okami is the best game I've even had the pleasure of playing. And I'm saying that having played every single main Zelda game. In fact, I harbor such a burning passion for Okami that I'm going to write you out a whole comparative review of it to try to convince you to get it. :)

Aesthetics
As far as graphics go, this is one of those "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" type deals. Skyward Sword certainly has beautiful watercolor graphics while Okami is made of a certain Japanese watercolor painting type. The graphics of Okami aren't realistic by any stretch of the imagination, but that's the point. Okami is a game based hugely on Japanese culture, invoking the gorgeous art of Japanese watercolors for its graphics. I simply adore the traditional Japanese style of Okami over Skyward Sword's style, but again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I can understand going with either.

Regarding audio, I feel Okami far surpasses Skyward Sword. SS in my opinion had just a few really good tracks, maybe two or three. Outside of those two or three, no other tracks from Skyward Sword really stood out to me. Okami, on the other hand, features such a wide range of emotions and holds a soundtrack that beautifully orchestrates those emotions (not to say that Okami literally has an orchestrated soundtrack, because I assume it doesn't). One of the things I love about Okami is how the music always fits the scene: a peaceful field with a soft, melodic theme imbued with adventure really sets the tone of the game early on; an abandoned, haunted pirate ship with a spooky theme that simply sets the perfect terrifying air; a mellow, heart-rending tune which can honestly make you tear up at certain points of the game. Skyward Sword's music had nowhere near the level of emotion to me.

Story/Plot
Skyward Sword has a pretty typical plot; it's been done before. Save the beautiful maiden with whom Link shares a very special bond. That is the main plot, and there really isn't any filler in between, story-wise. There are a few, very minor things, but it's obvious that this is the main plot. Skyward Sword is very linear in this respect. Okami is far less linear and opens up a huge world with many intricate plot lines. You will recognize the major plot line, but it is shrouded in mystery and it won't make itself obvious to you; you'll have to put pieces of the puzzle together yourself, which was quite fun for me as it's like theorizing. Additionally, there are an innumerable amount of characters involved in Okami: some will make you laugh until you cry, and others will simply make you cry as emotions get to you. Again, Okami is hugely draped in Japanese culture, and the characters, names, and locations are based on real Japanese cultures and religions. As such, the plot is very fantasy-esque.

Gameplay
I'll admit, both Okami and Skyward Sword had hugely frustrating moments with the motion controls. Okami's paint controls can be rather difficult at times as sometimes the game does not correctly recognize what you're trying to paint. Similarly, many people call Skyward Sword's controls over-responsive, picking up the wrong motions or picking up accidental small motions. I'll be totally honest. I got to the final battle of Skyward Sword, and the controls started frustrating me to the point where I set SS down and I haven't even thought about picking it back up. With Okami, everything else in the game was so great that it was worth dealing with the sketchy controls.

Both games have collectible items. Okami has many upgradable weapons, while Skyward Sword also introduced weapon upgrades. Okami's items include items to temporarily make you invulnerable, temporarily increase your attack strength, and replenish your health meter. Skyward Sword features a wider array of more commonly usable items, such as the Beetle.

Combat-wise, again the controls come into play. I would say Okami's combat style leaves something to be desired as every time you touch an enemy you enter "combat mode," which puts up a little force-field type thing around you which you can escape if you so choose. Comparatively, Skyward Sword has free-roaming enemies that you can more easily choose to attack.

Conclusion
Okami is a game which had a huge impact on me. I just couldn't put it down. It had such an emotional impression on me that it left me craving more once I completed it. Skyward Sword just wasn't that great of a game to me. It had nowhere near the emotional impact of Okami, and after a while, Skyward Sword left me rather bored. Due to its linearity, Skyward Sword was pretty straight-forward and just had the same feel throughout the game. It was also much shorter compared to Okami, which had some great rewards for sidequests and collectibles. Okami was such a well put together game; it just perfectly meshed throughout as every aspect of it came into play.

Note
I bought Okami at Gamestop for $20 and Skyward Sword I would assume is about $40 currently (which you could probably Google search to know for sure). If you're low on cash, I would easily suggest starting with Okami, but I would recommend playing both games. Skyward Sword didn't really do it for me, but I know many Zelda fans loved it greatly, so to each is to own. :)

The way u felt with Okami is sort of the way I felt with SS. It was my first zelda game to completion and it was a magical journey for me. After that well in my opinion the other games I've played didn't give me the same feeling. I've started Okami a bit, it feels like a zelda game and if it was I would place it would probably be 3rd right after SS and Alttp.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
First I want to say this is kind of biased for being on a Zelda Website. Anyways I believe SS is better here are my reasons.

Story: Skyward Sword had one of the best story's of all Zelda's. While Okami had an amazing story it can't compare to the lovely, romantic, and creepy tale of Skyward Sword.

Artstyle: Okami's Artstyle is what really sets it out from any other game.... Ever. And although SS did have a kind of watercolor painting feel it can't compare to how Okami did.

Gameplay: Skyward Sword brings in new puzzles and amazing motion controls. However Okami used one of the coolest gameplay objects ever. The paint brush. The paint brush is what sets its gameplay from other games. Okami gets the point here.

Music: Seeing as Skyward Sword was almost fully orchstrated it's a no brainier that Skyward Sword wins the point for music.

Sound: Zelda's sounds and voice acting was the best ever, all of Links "Hyahhh" were clear and made Skyward Sword just a little bit better.

I have to say Skyward Sword is better but Okami was amazing. And dare I say it. I would put it over Ocarina of Time. Maybe I shouldn't have said that, I think I'll get beat up for it :) Anyways in the end I couldn't put Okami over Skyward Sword.

Choosing between these two games is extremely difficult for me, as I love both of them so much. Okami gets an unfair advantage for me since, well, having had it for a much longer period of time, I have had longer to kind of bond with the game, the world, the characters, everything. I think it may almost be better than Skyward Sword for me, but then I remind myself of what my answer would be if I had an equal amount of time to bond with the games, and then they are about on the same level for me. Maybe I’m just an indecisive person, but I think it’s just one of those things where I would give you a different answer depending on my mood, going back and forth between the two. So ultimately it’s tied for me. They’re both incredible in my opinion. Both visual styles are amazing and lovely in their own ways. Both have wonderful music that I love. Both have interesting gameplay. I do think the story would go to Okami, though, as it was a wonderful story and a world of depth that I enjoyed so much, and I loved being immersed into that gorgeous rich world of color and culture. They’re both so unique and lovely in their own special and very different ways. As I said… I really could not choose – but since they’re both incredible games, I don’t necessarily mind that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom