• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Nintendo Magazine's Timeline

Yea an "one-word difference" that changes completely the verbal tense...

Link acomplished a feat. = simple past
link will acomplish a feat. =simple future

Erimgard

Even Ganon loves cookies
Oh I think it was just something Jacen said off-handedly. It doesn't even necessarily change the meaning, if the "feat" is referring to LoZ.

Pinecove

Last Chance
"In this game, this stage is set far before Link started his adventures; a time when Hyrule was still united as one kingdom."

This is milkjamjuices re-translation. Turns out Hyrule was one country during the SW. aka OoT.

No, pinecone, according to what milk translated that line to, it talks about the game, not about the SW:

"In this game..."

Pinecove

Last Chance
First off: It's PineCOVE not pine cone.

Second off:

No it doesn't.

It refers to before Link starts his adventures in ALttP.

Look at what he said about Jumbie's quote:

IMO, that's a very weak translation by someone who isn't familiar with the language.

Furthermore:

(In this stage)(very long before Link did his activity)(in the time when Hyrule was still one kingdom).

The stage is set before Link does his activity in AlttP. We know the Link referred to is ALttP Link as the box refers to YOU as the Link in ALttP.

Seriously, you're not reading properly.

You're the one who doesn't seem to be reading properly.

Milk's translation was:
"In this game, this stage is set far before Link started his adventures; a time when Hyrule was still united as one kingdom."

She believes the line is referring to the game itself (agreeing with the LA translators btw).

The backstory of the game (namely the SW) is not even mentioned anywhere, and it DOES make sense for the back of the LttP box to mention a previously successful zelda game. In fact it would be strange if it didn't.

And one thing we all agree with, the first line of that box refers to Link in the third person, while the rest of the box refers to the hero in the second person:

"Run, strike, carry, throw. Push, pull, swim, swing the sword...
Roaming freely all over the country of Hyrule, you'll get used to being the hero of legend once you have obtained the golden power, the 'Triforce'."

If the hero mentioned in those lines is the LttP Link, it makes absolutely no sense for the hero mentioned in the first line to be LttP's Link...

Pinecove

Last Chance

She believes the line is referring to the game itself (agreeing with the LA translators btw)

Wrong.

"In this game"

ALttP.

"this stage is set"

the stage is set

"far before link started his adventures"

BEFORE LINK STARTS HIS ADVENTURES IN ALTTP! THE REST OF THE BOX IS REFERRING TO ALTTP LINK TOO!

and it DOES make sense for the back of the LttP box to mention a previously successful zelda game. In fact it would be strange if it didn't.

Explain.

And one thing we all agree with, the first line of that box refers to Link in the third person, while the rest of the box refers to the hero in the second person:

"Run, strike, carry, throw. Push, pull, swim, swing the sword...
Roaming freely all over the country of Hyrule, you'll get used to being the hero of legend once you have obtained the golden power, the 'Triforce'."

If the hero mentioned in those lines is the LttP Link, it makes absolutely no sense for the hero mentioned in the first line to be LttP's Link...

Then this discussion is postponed until Milk gets us HIS VERSION of those translations.

O

OptimistAlive

To truly form the timeline, there are many things from various zelda games that will have to be excluded. Such as the library in the Minish Cap and its info on "The Great Flood" and "The Triumph Forks." It could just be a reference to the Wind Waker and nothing more. Especially since you start the library by fusing kinstones, which is optional. I can't remember another zelda game that refers to another. It's just that people always bring up the library when trying to fit the Minish Cap into the timeline.

But there are things that could just be added to different zelda games to help fit things in the timeline, if that's possible. Maybe if there was a remake. For example, Metroid: Zero Mission is a remake of the classic Metroid. And it shows what happened after Samus escaped Zebes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
milk said:
The stage=this particular game's time line. So this game takes place long before the legend of Link came about.
So the stage is set in LttP before Link started his adventures in LoZ. Hyrule is one kingdom during LttP, right?

Zemen, what did you edit in the above post? Did you just make the important points red?
I can't wait to get to the library. I finally got a working copy of MC yesterday, though it did freeze on me twice already...

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
So the stage is set in LttP before Link started his adventures in LoZ. Hyrule is one kingdom during LttP, right?

Zemen, what did you edit in the above post? Did you just make the important points red?
I can't wait to get to the library. I finally got a working copy of MC yesterday, though it did freeze on me twice already...

He double posted so I merged the posts together. All the red lettering and italicized words were done by Optimus.

Anyway, I've been waiting for a good moment to chime in, I think that it's pretty clear (and I've always gotten the vibe) that it's talking about ALTTP.

This stage is set long before Link accomplished a feat.. Seems obvious to me. It specifically says THIS stage so I'm sure that's referring to ALTTP setting and long before Link accomplished a feat could only refer to a previous Link in the series and prior to ALTTP there were only two games and one Link. I'm not trying to shoot anyone's opinion down but I honestly don't see how it can be confused to mean anything else...

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
It specifically says THIS stage...
Milk said that was a typo for "the stage." Though I agree that it refers to LttP. I'd like to point out the present-tense "the stage IS set" and the past-tense "Link STARTED his adventures." If it refers to the SW as the stage and LttP's Link, then it would use present- or future-tense "starts" or "will start." This translation makes it seem like you have already gone through Link's adventures (played LoZ/AoL), and the stage in this game is set before that.
edit: ...then it goes to past-tense again to describe Hyrule as one kingdom. doesn't quite make sense...
As Milk said, it's very ambiguous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom