• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Ocarina of Time: Kokiri Kids

Calebmoore

Power Games Inc.
So I was playing Ocarina of Time the other day for about the fifth time, and I notice that all of the Kokiri children are invisable until you get near them. I never thought much about it. I just figured it was something with the N64. However Once I walked past Saria on the bridge to Hyrule, she suddenly appeared out of no where. I always wonder how Link didn't see her as her walked past, but now I'm starting to wonder if the Kokiri can actually become invisible. I know it seems a little strange, but the more I think about it, the more it seems possible. The Kokiri are children that never grow old, and they are also the children of the Deku Tree. This much we know. Now something else I want to throw out there is the fact that Saria states that she knew Link was not a Kokiri. Now I think for a group of little kids to actually be able to survive on there own they will surely need some kind way to defend themselves. Seeing as how they could supposedly evolved from humans to tree people in Windwaker, it shows the are able to evolve. I may be over thinking all of this, but I think it's possible that they can turn invisible in an attempt to hide from attackers. What are your guy's thought on this?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Ya, I noticed that too and always thought it was strange. They don't become invisible until you are literally right beside them, so maybe you need to be close enough for them to be 100% sure that it is you before they become visible. It would be a great for of defense since the kokiri don't have much in terms of power or defense.

Well they do this in Ocarina of Time 3D as well, so I don't think it has anything to do with hardware limitations. Besides in other areas like Kakariko Village, Hyrule castle etc. the NPCs don't disappear when you walk away from them, so now that you mention it, maybe the Kokiri do have the ability to turn invisible. On the other hand though they don't appear in the distance when looking through the Lens of truth. I doubt the Kokiri are powerful enough to even not bee seen by the Lens of Truth, but then I doubt a monster is going to invade Kokiri Forest with a Lens of Truth in hand.

Last edited:

Din Akera

Sniper
Hm. I have always chalked this up to game mechanics/hardware. But now that you mention it the Kokiri do seem to sort of fade in and out, while other NPcs tend to pop in and out of view when you get to far away. Perhaps it has to do with rendering and such. I don't want to comment on it to much because I know very little about that topic, but it does seem odd that the game would load the kokiri one way (fade in/out) and other NPCs another way (popping). Perhaps it is a size thing? i'm not sure.

Do I think the Kokiri can turn invisible. I would say no. I think that if that was an intended personality trait of the race it would have been brought forward by someone at some-point in game. Gorons are extremely strong, Zora can breathe underwater, Kokiri never grow up. Examples (maybe average ones, lol) of how races are stated to have certain traits. They are brought up and stated usually by more than one person. I think if this was an in game intended trait someone would have said something.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I've never actually thought about this before, so props for bringing it up.

I, like many, thought this was just an in game problem, loading faults and such, but that argument is now somewhat redundant since Ocarina of Time 3D has a similar landing simulation. Maybe the developers didn't want to change this, but then again if it was a fault, then remakes are essentially made to fix them -- so I think that argument could be easily countered.

Regarding their actual powers being able to become "invisible", like you said, I just don't see this. For one, more in game emphasis would have been put on such a trait. In fact invisibility is a strong power in the realm of super powers, as many would probably know. How come the Kokiri wouldn't use this to their own advantage? And more importantly, why not use it for the good of Hyrule?

So I would say that I don't believe the have such powers but maybe it's an illusion of the forest? It could be possible that it was an intention by the developers to create that sort of mystical setting of the Kokiri Forest.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Hmmm. . . I'm not sure. I know they had to creative with the loading in OoT. I mean Hyrule field is only ever partially loaded.

In OoT 3D, were all the Kokiri invisible at all times, or was it just Saria at the cutscene?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think this idea is extremely plausible mainly due to the fact that supposedly Kokiri can't be seen by adults (I think it's said in the HH). It makes sense too because Saria could get through the Sacred Forest Meadow without the Mad Babas attacking her, but they attack Link. Maybe the Great Deku Tree really does protect them from harm by making them invisible, because it certainly doesn't work on Link who is a Hylian. Also after the Deku Tree dies, monsters are let into the forest and the Kokiri have to hide from them. Presumably in a forest, ignoring the limitations of the game itself, there are a few dangers lurking, but after the Sprout grows, the Kokiri seem to be safe again. I think they appear to Link as an adult because all of them say he looks familiar even though they're not sure who he is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom