• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time family.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
The King of Hyrule had a one night stand with a Gerudo woman who are said to have one night stands with Hylian men and she had baby Ganon. The King, of course, didn’t know about Ganon, so the King gets on with his life and married the Queen, who we never meet, who gives birth to twins, Link and Zelda, in the midst of war. It is possible that she thought having a baby boy would cause more war so she decided to take the boy to safety somewhere.

The Queen, being cooped up in the castle with lackeys who are on the good PR side, didn’t realise that the fighting had got so bad that she got fatally injured and just made it to the Great Deku Tree and begged him to help hide Link.

The Great Deku Tree asked his Kokiri to help protect Link. They did by taking Hylian form and forgot their previous lives to assist. The fairies are their past lives and Kokirian form safe and provide advice, hence the ‘Hey! Listen!’ from Navi.

Glad to know that Link survives childhood safely (just Mido being a big bully) and heads out into the big wide world to meet his twin sister and kill his half brother Ganon, and sleep for 7 years.

Zelda as a Princess would have grown with all the luxury she needed and wanted with just enough education to run a house and command servants. The king would have used Zelda to expand the Kingdom by marrying her to a prince from a hostile kingdom or richer kingdom so Hyrule can continue being, well Hyrule.

As an educated princess Zelda would have had access to a library with books to read about other races and cultures, discovering about the Kokiri, Gorons and Zoras and their spiritual stones along with the connections with her Ocarina of Time and the door to the Sacred Realm. For the 7 years that Link is trapped in the sacred Realm, Zelda also goes into hiding with Impa, a Sheik and her Nanny, Zelda learnt Sheikah skills like fighting, hiding and magic that she wouldn’t have learnt as a princess.

Ganon was born and brought up by the Gerudo, a tribe of female thieves who only have one male born every 100 years and they must make him King of the Gerudo even if they don’t like him.

He would have been spoilt with a lot of womanly attention as the only boy in the camp thereby giving him the powerful illusion that he was centre of the world. He may have been high and mighty as Nabooru is leading a rebellion against Ganon and his Grandmas Koume and Kotake.

Ganon would have probably been brought up with oral stories as the Gerudo don’t seem to have books, he would have had fight lessons at the Gerudo Training Grounds and the horse archery area so would be a great warrior and thief.

He may have gone to Hyrule Castle for diplomatic reasons and met the king and Zelda for events and meals where Zelda would have got her evil ‘vibe’ from Ganon who was envious of Hyrules resources and planning to take the land from the king to get his women a good land to live on.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
This really doesn't fit theories more of head canon.
Ganon was the only male born in a 100 years his father was more than likely a castle towner given gerudo females went there for boyfriends. There is no connection to the royal family.

When making assertions please back them up with evidence

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Links parents are never shown in any games and only spoken of in OOT and the ALTTP manga and comic so it is hard to really make a proper theory on them, only throw some ideas around.

In OOT Link's mother is unnamed however it would be odd for her to be the queen. It males little sense to have her venture so far from Hyrule Castle and all the way to Kokiri Forest. It may seem close in game but it is actually implied to be a long way from there due to the fact it takes a whole day on foot to reach.

In the A Link To The Past comic and Manga Link's parents are Knights of Hyrule. Not that these are canon but the game team clearly did not take too much offense to this being printed so it is possible that they had that kind of backstory in mind for OOT Link's parents as well. Unfortunately (Or fortunately if you love a mystery) we may never know.

As for Ganon his true origins are clouded in mystery as well. There is not a whole lot of evidence pointing to anything concrete about the nature of his birth.
You suggest the King as a candidate, but when Gerudo take men to mate with it doesn't look like they let them go again. None of them respect men except for Ganondorf (and Link when he has proven himself) The rest they appear to capture and imprison which is why I find it unlikely the King of Hyrule would have had the chance to do the do with a gerudo and have a chance to do anything apart from rotting in a cell afterwards. The Gerudo also have a huge stew pot in their fortress and no livestock. What do they actually eat? Possibly their prisoners. But that is a topic for another time.

What we know about Ganon is that he was raised by Kotake and Koume who are revealed in Hyrule Historia to run the Gerudo tribe from behind the scenes. They are evil and manipulative hags and are likely responsible for a lot of Ganondorf's delightful personality quirks.

As you have said he did also grow up surrounded by women fawning over him which probably contributed to his inflated ego.

As for books. Gerudo have their own written language, so I find it doubtful that oral stories were all that were available. Stone slates or maybe even papyrus could have been available to the tribe, but we know for sure they wrote on walls as is evident in their temples.

Finally I doubt Ganondorf had many diplomatic meetings with the King. Hyrule was in civil war 9 years prior to OOT and we see in game him swearing fealty to the King. In Hyrule Historia it says he 'once again swears fealty' which implies that he used to be loyal to the King 9 years prior but fought against him during the civil war and that their meeting in OOT is their first as allies.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
What about a lack of a lack of evidence? :)
It's kinda obvious if you've no evidence then it's not a theory. Silly posts like this do not belong in theory section as it's not in the nature of theorizing.

[EDIT] Granted this thread has a lack of theoririzing so i guess frivolity can't be remarked on

It's kinda obvious if you've no evidence then it's not a theory. Silly posts like this do not belong in theory section as it's not in the nature of theorizing.

[EDIT] Granted this thread has a lack of theoririzing so i guess frivolity can't be remarked on

Whilst the presentation is a bit messy, I am honestly quite intrigued by this theory and would like to see it expanded and cleaned up. Personaly, the more oddball the better and trying to logically explain fantasy takes all the fun out of it. Should it counter the official source in any way then to hell with the official source. All that matters is that the op enjoyed the time pondering it, as will I.

edit: If you disagree with a theory, *help* the author work out the inconsistencies. For example , Ganondorf having a rightful claim to the throne would be a beautiful lie by Kaume and Kotake to justify his overthrowing the king. As for Link, perhaps the queen had an affair and wanted to protect her son from her husband's (justified) anger, or (and the zealots will hate this) perhaps Ganondorf is his true father and his hylian mother is fully aware of her lover's wrath (we really don't know the life spans in Hyrule or Ganondorf's age). Obviously none of the present postulations can be proven in any way, shape or form but at the end of the day all that matters is that they are *fun*. To the op, every argument made against your theory can be solved with a little imagination and a willingness to break from tradition, but above all else don't be afraid to share your ideas. Every good idea began life as just an idea.

As for my previous comment about personally choosing to ignore the canon, my own experience with zelda is full of very strange occurances that defy the rules of the real world* and therefore the rules of the real world do not necessarily apply. I greatly look forward to whatever bizarreness nintendo has in store with botw, but the many adventures Link takes during every moment of my less than adventurous existence will always be closer to my soul than those one might call "official". This thread is a view into the imagination of the op and whilst the present draft is a little disorganized, there is no telling what the next will contain. Hopefully, he will allow us to continue tagging along.

Most important of all, there is no telling which theory presented to us will launch the next great fantasy epic and I kinda like the idea that I had some form of an impact, even if it was nothing more than a small amount of encouragement.

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Whilst the presentation is a bit messy, I am honestly quite intrigued by this theory and would like to see it expanded and cleaned up. Personaly, the more oddball the better and trying to logically explain fantasy takes all the fun out of it. Should it counter the official source in any way then to hell with the official source. All that matters is that the op enjoyed the time pondering it, as will I.

Sorry but what? "if it counters the official source then to hell with the official source" Yeah sorry no, if it counters the official source then it's not theory but headcannon. Ideas such as this have literally no evidence or points from the game to support it. The official sources are generally acclaimed to be Nintendo of Japan and Hyrule Historia and that's it. Yes it's nice if you have a good time pondering your idea but if it's got no connection bar head cannon to link it to the game then it's NOT a theory.

Sorry but what? "if it counters the official source then to hell with the official source" Yeah sorry no, if it counters the official source then it's not theory but headcannon. Ideas such as this have literally no evidence or points from the game to support it. The official sources are generally acclaimed to be Nintendo of Japan and Hyrule Historia and that's it. Yes it's nice if you have a good time pondering your idea but if it's got no connection bar head cannon to link it to the game then it's NOT a theory.

Nintendo itself has never shown any interest in what would normally be called "canon" resulting in an ambiguous hodge-podge of ideas that are still hotly debated despite having an official answer, such as many refusing to even aknowledge hyrule historia's timeline. Rather than obsessing over continuity, Nintendo always focuses on original and fun mechanics, which many believe to be partially responsible for the series' success.

This theory could definitely use some editing, but the ideas presented are both original and fun and I look forward to a second draft.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Nintendo itself has never shown any interest in what would normally be called "canon" resulting in an ambiguous hodge-podge of ideas that are still hotly debated despite having an official answer, such as many refusing to even aknowledge hyrule historia's timeline. Rather than obsessing over continuity, Nintendo always focuses on original and fun mechanics, which many believe to be partially responsible for the series' success.

This theory could definitely use some editing, but the ideas presented are both original and fun and I look forward to a second draft.

It's not a theory for a start no evidence whatsoever, learn that, if a "idea" has no evidence or backing it's not a theory. The fact Nintendo produced Hyrule Historia and the main zelda series including the timeline kind of make them canon. Again learn it.

This ideas aren't original as they cropped up years and i do mean years ago on other less shall we say salubrious site.
This entire thread could do with deleting for the simple fact yet another person is going down Vita's path "I shall ignore everything but what i determine to be truth" which is where you are going Ferm.

Yeahhhh no.

The most likely scenarios are Zelda was born into nobility by the King and a woman of high class who we don't see, Ganondorf was the son of a random Gerudo and a (most likely drunk) random Hylian, and Link's parents (or at least his father) were/was (a) Knight(s) of Hyrule.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I like the idea that Ganondorf's father was someone of importance, but the king of hyrule? I doubt it. maybe one of the regal people in castle town or a guard or something would be more believable

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
it was an odd random thought cuz they all have the tri-force, so maybe blood chooses the holder of the pieces.....

it was an odd random thought cuz they all have the tri-force, so maybe blood chooses the holder of the pieces.....
Then how does that explain games like WW, where the Hero of Winds had no relation to the Hero of Time, meaning that, if Ganondorf and the Hero of Time WERE related, then the Hero of Winds wouldn't have been able to get the Triforce of Courage, if you use your blood theory explanation

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
distantly very related, if you go through their family tree centuries there will be relations....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom