• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Ocarina of time ending : a paradox ?

link to present

Four Year ZD Member
At the end of ocarina of time, zelda sends link back to his original timeline. When he was young.
But...if he was young, doesn't that mean there were 2 links there? The one who had just exited kokirir forest, and the link who had completed ocarina of time? Maybe, as well as the fact that her servitude to link was over, Navi maybe realised this and left, to prevent the 2 links meeting ? The effect to the tmeline would be catastrohic. And she couldn't send him to a split timeline becuase then there would be a link in that timeline 2. Link and a parallel version of himslef meeting is also bad. What do you think ?

Is this a time paradox that was resolved by link leaving and going to termina after navi? More over, what would happen if the 2 links met ?

I think the paradox was sovled when he went to Termina after his fariy

T

Twilight_Link10

Well I htink that there is no paradox but why did sages remember that they where sages.........well I ges its the same as how link and zelda remember what went on even when it hasnt hapend yet.......whight Im confuzed

Click here to level up my card!

I think what we see about the sages in OoT is still happening in the Hyrule Link left to return as a child.

If you mean the men in twilight Princess, then I suppose it is up to each of us if we want to think of the sages as the 'not-awakened spirits' (since it is in the 'childhood split' or simply as a different way to portrait them.

Z

zeldaoot4ever

After I finished the game it was the first thing I thought. If Link was back to the time 7 years ago, he's just before when he got the Master Sword, so he had already the Ocarina of Time, the 3 gems and had already learned the Song of Time, wich means Zelda and Impa had already fled Ganondorf; the only thing that didnt happened is that Link didnt get the Master Sword yet (it's in the pedestal) and didnt open the Sacred Realm. So they still have hope that Ganondorf wont become the King of Evil, since he doesnt have the Triforce. But this is impossible, because Link meets Zelda in the castle, so she didnt fleet yet.
So Link is back somewhen before that day, but when? If he is at Hyrule (not in the forest), the Deku Tree is dead, but, how many gems does Link have? Maybe he has just gotten the Kokiri Emerald and is going to the castle as the Tree said. But then, how can be the Door of Time opened?
Zelda sent him back so he could regain the time lost. But time lost is the seven years only or could it be all the days he spent since the Deku Tree summoned him? If it's the first option, it is impossible as I explained in my first paragraph. If it is the second option, it is impossible too, as I explained in my secod paragraph. And it is impossible even if there are 2 Links, because if the Door of Time is oponed, Zelda had fled and the other Link, the one that is going to the castle as the Deku Tree said, he wont find Zelda.
Man, Link cant be back the same way we did in the game by placing the Master Sword in the pedestal, because when we do it, we are back after Zelda fled, but Link finds Zelda in the last scene.
It's just impossible. It seems the creator didnt think well about the ending...!
Oh... Headache

D

Deadlyknux

Alright, I'm a new poster, but a Zelda addict so I hope I can help some with this confusion.

There are two parallel universes thanks to Ocarina of Time. The Child Time-line and the Adult Time-line. The child time-line starts, of course, when young Link sets the Master Sword back in the stone at the Temple of Time and goes to visit Zelda, she's surprised because he "tells" her everything that's going to happen. Therefore, Ganondorf is arrested and tried by the ancient sages. They try to execute him, but he overpowers them and then the Sages are forced to banish him to the Twilight realm. Which means that Twilight Princess is 100 years after OoT and MM.

While all of that is happening, there is still the adult time-line which is where Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and Spriti Tracks take place.

Of course, this is not just my intelligence because I could just be pulling this out of no where and I would be a liar.

This is all confirmed by Eiji Aonuma, the director and designer of all the Zelda games, in a Nintendo Dream interview.

So yes, there are two Links, but since Link changed the past by getting Ganondorf arrested and adult Link killed Ganondorf, ther story goes on with both Links.

Confusing, I know.

Mikenike

Thanks, Mike
Your making a simple subject confusing. You know when you return the master sword? It is the same concept. The only thing that confuses me is how Link can complete something as an adult go back in time and it still be changed.. Weird but i have learned not to question Zelda. One way or another it will explain itself, or you will think about it more unti lyou realieze.

Mikenike

Thanks, Mike
If this was true then wouldn't Ganondorf still be at large?

No because he was killed. Everyone who was killed cannot be moved throughout time. The only reason that Zelda and Link were still able to move through time is because they were alive. It is basically them moving through time, so how would Gannondorf come back to life just by changing his surroundings.

This is simply a theory not logic.

Sorry for the double post.

Evil Space Fish

Hyrule's village Jester
Alright, I'm a new poster, but a Zelda addict so I hope I can help some with this confusion.

I too am a complete Zelda addict. If I could get drunk on these games, I would. I'd ride the dragon down the rabit hole buddy lol.

But seriously now, there is only one thing I am confused about. Zelda plays the Ocarina and sends Link back to his childhood. Just like pulling the Master Sword and putting it back, he appears with all the gear and stuff he got on his adventures as an adult. If he can keep his gear when you go back into the past to beat the Spirit Temple, than he kept it when Zelda sent him back. I'm confused because of this... if Zelda sent him right back to the Temple, than Zelda has already fled. Either Link knew where to look because of Impa or Zelda just sent him back to right before the door of time opened, which makes the most sense. That way, she wouldn't have fled just yet, but still suprised to see Link in her courtyard again with some equipment he got in the future and the story he tells her about the sages. This can lead to an early awakening of the sages and Ganon is stopped dead in his tracks before he even starts.

D

Death

I always just figured that Zelda Sent Link back to before anything happened, but Ganondorf with sealed away to prevent him from taking over Hyrule again.
But the true paradox is "The song of Storms Paradox", i just can't wrap my head around that one.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Okay this is what I got from the ending speech between Zelda and Link and the very last picture that fades to light brown.

Zelda says that Link's spirit was trapped in the Realm ya? That means that the pulling of the MS from the Pedestal is like a catalyst that direct
his spirit to go either into the adult link or the child link. His spirit travels between bodies. So, at the end of the game, the picture is simply
Link living his life that is destined to be (which is this story: OoT.) So one would come to a time-loop conclusion. However, at the end, Zelda also
says to go back to Link's childhood and HIS time, to live HIS childhood how he should.

So what happened happened. And now Link can go back as a child and live all non-chalant....or go to Termina (:P) While Link is in Termina, it's not like
those events in Hyrule are just recycling themselves over and over, no one can be in the same place at the same time. Those events in the future
are now set in stone, they are GOING TO HAPPEN, but child Link is now in Termina.

Perhaps...seeing as how I completely just debated against myself, AFTER MM ends, and enough time goes by he is now the same age as adult link in OoT and
he completes those events, then he....gets transported....back...to a kid.....

you know what....i'm just gonna keep reading others' posts and maybe mine will have struck an idea in someone elses head.

CZG

About the time travel the way I see it:

Mass IS. Although not a exact contant figure, it's not possible to travel trough time and run into yourself. You can only be at one place at a time, as you can only excist once at a time. If you would be made of some atoms (or polygons?) you'd be a part of creation. Whether it would be a a god that created everything, a big bang or a computercompany like Nintendo. The input never changes, nor do the consequeses of the that creation event, as they are related to each other.

The data is there and shall remain the same amount at all times. There may be events that drive the data or input in a different way, but the total always sums up to 100%.
Going back in time and have a duplicate of yourself would interfere with the whole world, universe or even some multiverse (parrallel worlds?) if excisting. Having to Link's would make another character to dissapear, or something similar.

Therefore, you can't go back in time, only forward (which is nothing new, we do it all the time, even now).
But, according to the story you ended up at the same time and place (about the same time and place at least, at the very end of the game) when you put the sword back in the pedestal, meaning you didn't travel back in time as this is not possible, but you travelled forward through time, which loops on itself at one place or time or event or another.
It has to, as we witnessed Link to (re)appear at the Temple of Time or the Courtyard of Hyrule Castle.

The loop is in the flow of time itself, not in some magical part of the story like the Ocarina of Time or the Master Sword.
The Ocarina lets you inluence how much time would be travelled, as seen in Majora's Mask. The Master Sword keeps you alive through this millions of light-years during journey. Or something. Maybe you can use the MasterSword to cut holes in space to create wormholes? -----> read on below....

The most basic form of time travel is to bend the flat parts of space itself, fold them together and make a gap in both flat spaces and go through. Unfold the space again, close the gaps and appear where you would have wanted to go in the first place. This way you can travel faster than a straight line from point 'A' to point 'B', by creating a shorter (straight) line. Then, if you could somehow pinpoint your current position in time and space, as well as the place you'd like to go and where that place would be in space-time, you could go there pretty fast. Not in zero time, but infinity close to that.
Being in the Temple of light for seven years passed in an eyeblink for Link.

This makes it possible to beat Ganon (seal him away, not killing him) and still be a kid, as well as having the Ocarina when you were walking around in Termina.

Timetravel is a difficult subject, but I don't think Nintendo made any big mistakes or errors with this.
Sadly. I liked Error....

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
I guess that timetraveling in this game works like teleporting. If you teleport, you have noone to fill in your place while you are in another place, right?
He gets teleported to another time, and only what he did in the past has changed in the future. You would also see that the guy in the Windmill is all...
Hold on. HOLD ON.
You might be onto something!
Seriously!
Link never played the Song of Storms to the man in the Windmill before you met him in the future...?
This only makes speculation. I know there is a word for such a thing, but is it possible? Maybe YOU are the second Link, filling in for the other Link's place.
The first Link travels in to the future. Then the past reboots, with you there. When you travel to the future, the other Link is back in the past?

You learn the Song Of Storms, then go back, the man is all happy, BECAUSE you go even more back in time. You meet the man, play the song, then he... yeah.
This post is getting all messy. Only Nintendo Logic can explain how the things are going in this game. Personally I do not really think there is 2 Links, it's only speculations, because of all the things that happen in the game.
Nintendo managed to fail a little there, if they never intended to make 2 Links in there. IMO it was never the meaning that this speculation would show up. It might be possible though...

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
MORE OF MY OWN THOUGHS!! :D
Maybe everything is turned on its head?
That the past works in on the future, and the future ACTUALLY works in on the past?
Or wait... Maybe the place where they seal away Ganon is actually frozen in time?
What if that place actually follows the holders of the Triforce through time? Like.....
DANG IT!
I always come up with new speculations...
The Master Sword is said to be the lock for the place where they seal away Ganon... (says so in a lot of games)
Ganon has "children" (i guess you can call them, or maybe two persons get a boy like Ganon by just pure luck, or wtf you wanna say), as well as Zelda and Link.
Ganondorf is getting aware of that his relatives actually holds pieces of the legendary triforce, and some of his power is revived? When Ganon, in OOT, before the drawing of the master sword, only has a little power? Link draws the master sword cause Zelda is aware of that Ganon is reviving again. When Link draws the sword, it unlocks the seal, and Ganon is fully revived, because all his power has slept in there for so long? I dont know. It's just theories.
And now my head hurts :P

Right...I reckon this:

After being sent back by Adult Zelda, Link went to see Young Zelda and told her what hapenned, This, we didn't see. So, She doesn't do waht She did, Which was to have link get the gem thingies. So, Ganondorf Didn't get them. So Hyrule Never suffered like that, etc. So, The Timeline Adult Zelda Resides in is now either destroyed, or Split into an alternate timeline. BUT.If Link was sent back to before any of the game happenned, including Him leaving the forest, taht means there's another link going around. So, he either goes there before that Link, or after, and Zelda tells taht link to stop.Bleh. This si so confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom