• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Not Gaming For Fun

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
:rope:for tl;dr's follow the snake:rope:

In February I started an eBay account. I started it because I wanted more games to play on my 3DS I got the night ALBW came out, and I prefer to have physical copies of the games I own. Since then I would easily say I got a lil out of control. In the beginning everything was alright I was getting DS/3DS games as cheap as you could imagine by biding at the last minute or finding the ones people fail to properly advertise. Games for a system with cartridges are easy to test, if they play on your system at all, you normally won't run into issues later. However, CD's are a completely different story now aren't they. Nothing like playing a game, you have put hours and hours into, then in the final act you get stuck at a loading screen.

From personal experience I had a copy of Diablo 3, I loved every second of the game, and the amount of investment you can put into your character is just unspeakable, I got through the first two acts and at the end of the second act when taking a portal from one area to another, I got stuck at the loading screen. I tested the game on the first two acts with three character classes, giving just as much effort into each, and at the end of the second act...... Loading....

Needless to say that's when i started loosing my cool. I felt duped. And lets face it, buying things online is a crap shoot. Even from credited businesses like Best Buy or Game stop, the USPS (or should I say employees of the sorting facilities) are not always the most careful with the packages they process. So I am extremely thorough when I buy disc based games online. Most the time I have like a three to 5 day time period that I can return said item.

Last weekend an XBOX I had purchased to replace the one I had that would just no longer read disc; gave me the dreaded "Red Ring of Death". I woke up that morning so happy to play the Doom 3 BFG Edition I had finally purchased after long not having the means to justify buying a game. Ready to kill some Former Humans as "id" likes to call them, and my XBOX had red lights. Now this is the first time I had ever got the red rings, it was always something odd about how it with the CD Rom. Anyways I had put less than 5 Hours on that system.

Long story short I contacted the guy I bought it from and he said if I sent it back he would Send me another one. I'm still waiting on it, while this week all the games I stocked up on via eBay arrive while i have no system and I need to leave feedback. This led me to take apart my other xbox last night and see what was up. I fixed it which I'm Proud of but now I have these games I wanna make sure work. In order to get a good idea if it works or not I give the game about an hour, anything after that, I'll eat the cost, cuz I would like to sit and enjoy these games at some point.

:rope:For tl;dr's, here is where I get to the point:rope:

It really feels weird that instead of choosing to play a game of my choice. Cuz of eBay, and the way they all ended up showing up the week I didn't have an XBOX, now I'm having to play a bunch of games at one time to make sure they work right, so that I can leave feedback. I purchased the WHOLE Gears of War series(which i got for under 20 bucks, thats 4 game YO!) so needless to say im not gonna get it done tonight. I dont know a whole lot about that series so I'm not getting myself Immersed like I will when I'm choosing to play it.

I'm not finding myself enjoying the games as much cuz I'm just trying to push the disc as far as I can, skipping cut-scenes not really paying attention to dialog, actually listening to music while I play, which I usually dont do unless its a game I've played over and over. I'm doing this so I'm not loosing money, not to enjoy the game. So I'm putting purchasing of games on hold. I dont like not sitting down and having my game station ready for a long play-through, and really getting involved with the story.

Makes you wonder if game testers get like that. For them they get to play the same game, so my case is a little different, but I could only imagine getting stuck testing a terrible game. A game that even after fixing all the bugs and glitches; there is still no joy in it. I would love to be a Game Tester, but this whole just playing a game just to make sure the disc works is for the birds.

However (off-topic) I just have to mention this cuz for some reason NO ONE talks about this game nor did they buy it, and it even got good reviews. But last night I didnt help my situation any cuz I started playing a game called "Enslaved: Journey to the West" by Ninja Theory (DMC reboot) and once I started, I couldn't stop playing it. How this game just got stranded in the ocean of games and was not really talked about is beyond me, the story is amazing, the Uncharted style platforming, the combat is great, a progression system. It's all there, and will be the first game I come back to complete!

But i digress, has anyone here at ZD been in a similar situation, where you have to play a game just to make sure it plays? Or some other situation where you were just playing to play, not cuz you were excited for the experience? I guess this is more of a blog type thread but it is a General Gaming type of discussion so I figured I would put it here. What do you think about my current situation? Cuz I would really like to know from someone else's point of view, about playing a game, and not being able to really enjoy it cuz you have to move on, not cuz its a bad game.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Not really, but I think I might have if I had been worried about being ripped off, because I sometimes buy games when I'm abroad and have no way to test them until I'm back home, and also no way of getting in touch with the seller in case they don't work. But I guess, for me, I just accept that risk and try to stay clear of buying too much or too expensive, so that if it doesn't work, I haven't lost too much money on the purchase.

Triforce Hermit

Praise the Sun
I have never had much of a problem with the games I get offline. They all usually are in good condition and work perfectly fine. Given most of what I buy is in cartridges.

But I bought a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics and it works perfectly fine. Sometimes that is just the risk you take when you buy online. There is always an unknown. That is generally why I buy from stores if possible.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I'm going to treat this as a topic meant for dodgy purchases. In which case, nothing immediately springs to mind for me. My mate did buy a GameBoy Advance SP on eBay a few years ago, and the R button didn't function, which was unfortunate.

I got an original Xbox a little over a month ago, and it came with over a dozen games. I have no interest in any of them, as I bought the console to mainly play the few incompatible titles on 360 and add to a small collection of consoles spread over three houses. It plays fine... when it feels like it. I assume the disc tray is dusty, because games sometimes refuse to boot up. No regrets, you just have to hope for the best when you buy used products.

In the amount of games I've bought online, I have to say I'm satisfied with most, if not all. The copies of Pikmin and Super Mario Galaxy I got earlier this year were perfect quality for preowned titles. The online market truly is expansive, but there are risks involved, no doubt. If you're ever not entirely sure, pass on it. You will only regret it for as long as it takes for a duplicate to show up. I say this as a person who managed to acquire Metroid Prime Trilogy after patience and persistence.

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
If you have a big enough HDD in your xbox, I recommend installing the game you're playing. It will save the lifespan of your laser. If it installs, it will ussually fix and loading bugs or scratched disc issues. I once had a copy of Oblivion, which would constantly freeze due to scratching (Never loaning THAT friend a game again). It took it a few tries to successfully install, but it hasn't frozen on me since.

no I don't think so, I'd rather not buy a cd game online anyways, cartridges are another thing entirely cuz they last better, bummer about the crappy system :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom