• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Thinking About Zelda Remakes....

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
Hey everyone.

So Mases posted an article today that dealt with the reception of Ocarina of Time 3D as a remake and posted both positive and negative comments from people whom he talked with. He also stated that Miyamoto wants to remake A Link to the Past and he also talked a little about the fan made petition Operation Moonfall. I want to get opinions from the people here on Zelda Dungeon. What do you guys think about Nintendo and their ideas of remaking classic Zelda games?

Personally I agree with Axle and I believe that Nintendo should focus on giving us new titles instead of reworking and remaking them. Ocarina of Time 3D was a great remake BECAUSE of the 25th anniversary of Zelda. It's a special game for that purpose and it's a great starting point for younger gamers who haven't even heard of Zelda and who have a 3DS. Although I love Majora's Mask and A Link to the Past, I think they are special as they are and should be left alone. I'd just rather see new games instead of constant remakes.

I understand all the hype of Skyward Sword as being the newest Zelda game, but I would like to see a 3DS original Zelda game....A totally new one. Of course there is another side to my argument that would state: "Well we can see what the 3DS is capable of because of how Ocarina of Time 3D turned out and if Nintendo was planning to make a whole new game that plays like a console Zelda, why not just release it for the Wii U?" That is a very valid argument and if Nintendo WAS to release a remake of A Link to the Past in the style of Ocarina of Time 3D, I suppose that wouldn't be a bad idea. However, it would be magical if Nintendo could release a brand new Zelda game that would be recognized on the 3DS for years to come.

So what do you guys think?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I understand all the hype of Skyward Sword as being the newest Zelda game, but I would like to see a 3DS original Zelda game....A totally new one. Of course there is another side to my argument that would state: "Well we can see what the 3DS is capable of because of how Ocarina of Time 3D turned out and if Nintendo was planning to make a whole new game that plays like a console Zelda, why not just release it for the Wii U?" That is a very valid argument and if Nintendo WAS to release a remake of A Link to the Past in the style of Ocarina of Time 3D, I suppose that wouldn't be a bad idea. However, it would be magical if Nintendo could release a brand new Zelda game that would be recognized on the 3DS for years to come.

So what do you guys think?

Hold on a second there. Although I agree with you on the rest. That is in no way a valid argument. OoT 3D was very limited to what OoT had to offer. So that's not a real Legend of Zelda experience for the 3DS. And the Wii U business is just a no. Why have a handheld if you constantly want it on the console? It's great that you can take console quality games on the go. So don't limit yourself out of thirstiness. We need a Zelda game that really takes advantage of everything the 3DS has to offer, and the only way to do that would have to be by making an original Zelda game on 3DS.

Operation Moonfall is a waste of time. It's just of bunch of people thirsty for something that's not needed. They can't except a remake of a classic without getting all butt hurt for another remake so soon on a system that doesn't fit it. Let the Nintendo 3DS shine and not live off of old glory. This isn't the Nintendo 643DS. It needs to stand on it's own with it's own library of games. You know how Nintendo works, they don't go making Zelda games every year. Having Majora's Mask 3D soon means the longer we have to wait for a new adventure. MM isn't even worthy of a remake at this point. And I still stand by it also not fitting on the 3DS. If they are going to remake MM, do it on a console were they can give us a real remake and not some graphical overhaul with added features. And do it further in the future.

If any game deserves a remake it's the original. Built from the ground up with new graphics and whatever added things Nintendo can add to it. It's still The Legend of Zelda with it's over the top view and all, just more enjoyable.

I smell a negative 2 hearts for me.

Last edited:

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
Sorry for my lack of clearness...What I meant was that argument is what OTHER people would say. I guess I didnt phrase it properly. Im against that argument lol. My bad

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Sorry for my lack of clearness...What I meant was that argument is what OTHER people would say. I guess I didnt phrase it properly. Im against that argument lol. My bad

I understand that, but what I was saying is that their argument isn't valid. You claimed it was.

You did a great job on your post, I was just going against the other side even further.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I totally agree with you. I think that a remake of Majora's Mask is a waste of time. It is a waste of Nintendo's time because they are not coming up with new ideas, and it is a waste of the fans time also because they aren't experiencing anything new. I wasn't too thrilled when I first heard about development for the Ocarina of Time remake, but there was a solid and special reason behind it, so I let it pass me. However, there is no reason to remake another game, Majora's Mask included. I would much rather play a totally new game, where they can include the extras they wanted to include in the remake instead. So I hope Operation Moonfall does not succeed.

The problem with remakes, is that they're full of problems. From the original concept to the final release (if there is one), there are so many problems with the idea of it that remakes are very rare.

First of all, Nintendo is a business. Businesses are businesses because they're in it to make money. They don't care how badly you want something (unless there's an extremely high demand for it, which I guess, if Operation Moonfall had extreme numbers it might get Nintendo's attention, and they might see the profit in remaking it), they only see the profit lines. Now you might think Nintendo is a good company, they make games, therefore they care what we think, and love our input on what new games should come out.

No. They don't. I can guarantee you that. Nintendo, and most other companies, are like Colleges (at least in the U.S.). They have all these commercials saying "Oh we care about your feelings, and we want you to succeed, and we'll help you succeed, because we only succeed when you succeed." All lies. They're in it for the money, and once they have your money, they're gone.

Second. What's new? You can't exactly have a remake of a game without there being something new, otherwise, it'd basically be a re-release on another console. Sure, with the 3DS we have this super fantastic awesome 3D aspect that everybody loves (at least for now). Fortunately, OoT is the only game so far that has those 3D aspects and pretty stunning graphics, therefore it leaves the window pretty wide open for Nintendo remaking these Zelda games.

The problem is, not every Zelda game needs to be remade. Could you imagine seeing the original LoZ or AoL on the 3DS? Pretty boring, right? That knocks off two games, because they're really better off left in the 2D world. Link's Awakening you can now download onto your 3DS, so there's not really a point in remaking that one. Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, I would be pretty damn impressed if Nintendo managed to fit those games on a cartridge for the 3DS. They barely had enough room and power on the Gamecube and Wii to do it. Besides, they're too new anyway, and one hasn't even come out yet. Check off those two games as well.

That leaves the handheld games. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are far too new to be remade. The Oracle games, possibly. Minish Cap, possibly, but probably still too new to be worth it. That basically leaves Majora's Mask and A Link to the Past. Sure, Majora's Mask at this point seems like the best option to be remade. The predecessor to it was remade, it's at least 10 years old, and it's still in that old format of graphic style. But that brings back the point before, could they actually get Nintendo to do it? I doubt it, they haven't had much luck so far it seems. A Link to the Past, personally, I'd love to see remade. I think it would look beautiful with 3D graphics. But wait, this is still a 2D Zelda game, how could we ever change the entire concept of it to be 3D???? Ah, that brings up the next point, nostalgia.

Ah nostalgia. Where would be without it? Oh yeah, that's right, much farther than we are now. Nostalgia ruins the progress of games. It really does. When people see the idea of their favorite 2D game being remade, they're all "OH NO, DON'T MY RUIN MY CHILDHOOD! IT WILL DIE IF YOU MAKE ALTTP AS A 3D GAME! NO!!!!".

Now, I could be wrong. OoT 3D seemed to have a lot of fan support, and I'm sure for good reason too. A lot of people wanted to see their favorite game look better and outshine the rest because IT'S THE BEST GAME EVER!!!11!1!1! (sarcasm), or some just wanted to look at it's beauty how it should've been made. But I can still guarantee, there was some backlash to it, with people seeing the 2D phase die out, and people no longer playing it on the N64.

Oh, and not to even mention we've been spoiled with Zelda lately. Spirit Tracks came out recently, OoT 3D was just released, Skyward Sword is coming out this year, Link's Awakening is on the 3DS (soon to be with Four Swords too), and a game for Wii U is most likely being developed, or will be soon. If anything, Nintendo is flooding the market far too much already.

I could probably drag on even further about remakes, but that's boring. So, what else do we have? Oh right, new games. The problem I see with new consoles, is I find them to be just like the old consoles. Unless there's something extremely new and innovative, I don't really see a change in progress. The Wii barely did that. Sure, I can now fling my arms around, and can actually have my arms a good distance apart, but nothing else really seemed to change. Especially with Twilight Princess being made on both consoles, it really bridged the gap to me and showed that they weren't really all that different.

You might be saying now: "Oh but Josh, the 3DS is SO NEW and SO INNOVATIVE!" I say: "Oh really?"

Yes, it's our brand new system and we're still all lovey dovey with it, but when we look back in a couple of years at it, what change will we see? Oh, yes, it had the 3D ability, and sure, it had new graphics, but what new system doesn't??? Honestly, I got my 3DS, picked up Ocarina of Time, played through the original version, then the Master Quest version, put it down, and haven't used it since. I find it has that short time excitement value, but then quickly drops off, and now collects dust on my shelf.

I just find no use in playing it. Therefore, if Nintendo makes some brand new game for the 3DS, I'm going to always see it as just another DS game with better graphics and 3D which I'm going to turn off after playing the first time. They're more than welcome to make another game for it, but unless I see some major difference, I won't find it that exciting.

And along with that, as you mentioned, Nintendo needs to make new games, or they won't survive. Spending the entire 3DS's life span remaking old Zelda games isn't going to help an already hurting console.

So, summed up: Remakes, not gonna happen (most likely), and new games need to come out plz.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think a proper remake of the original zelda would be a good idea for the wii U. By remake I don't mean a port with updated graphics I mean an actual 3D zelda title with a fleshed out story tying the game into the timeline somewhere. The game would be simply titled the legend of zelda. I don't think nintendo should put their efforts into doing up old games with better graphics and calling them remakes when they are actually just rereleases with better graphics, I think that if they want to remake a game then it should be just that. Remade. Another good idea would be a 3D a link to the past I would also love to see that remade properly.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Damn. Topic starts to bore me a bit. Zelda Fan Sites and standard Sites about Videogaming discussing about this topic over and over again. Guys. Please. No one is forced to buy a remake. If you don't like it, don't spend your money for a remake. That's just fair.

A reminder: There is only one Zelda remake released to date (two, if you count A Link to the Past for the GBA). Yes, maybe there will be another remake. But who cares? Nintendo will not personally remaking these games. They hire a company like Grezzo to remake the game. Nintendo can focus on a complete new adventure. Yes, Miyamotos biggest wish is to remake A Link to the Past. But these are all wishes of big Zelda Fans. Like us, or Miyamoto, or Zelda Williams.

I'm not against another remake. But again: No one will be forced to buy the stuff. And ist is for sure Nintendo will release a complete new Zelda. So, yes, this topic became boring :(

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Personally I want an MM remake, though beyond that I'm all for original titles. The thing about new titles though, is that they take far much more time than a simple remake, even if it is something like making a 2D game now 3D and changing all sorts of physics. Of course, that almost always guarantees extreme quality (except in the case of vaporware such as Duke Nukem Forever...that lasted about 12 years before it finally got released), but it is also a huge wait. Nintendo isn't going too well with 3rd party games, and 3rd parties on other systems are also starting to suck, so we can't rely on those games to give us a good time. The only other way is New Game + Wait or Remake + Significantly shorter wait. Then again, there is also the possibility of 2nd hand workers designing the remake with some Nintendo overseeing the project (as was the case with Capcom and the Oracle games or so I remember) and then the main Nintendo team could start deving an entirely new game, side by side.

Fiveoclock

Error 404- Life not found
I'm not really against any remakes, but I just don't see why we need another one. What's wrong with Majora or Link to the Past? I suppose I agree with Axle. I'd rather see a new Zelda game than a remake of an old one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom