• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch Paid Online

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
If there are any games I really want to play that use it, I might be willing to pay. But honestly, I prefer single-player games anyway, so there's a good chance that I won't end up playing online enough to justify paying for a subscription.

I don't like the idea of a subscription because it makes you feel like you're getting cheated out of money every day you do something other than play the game. I pretty much try to end my subscription during inactive periods, even if it means losing all my info, because the idea of having to pay for a service I'm not really using at the moment irritates me a bit.

I'm the kind of person that might have a subscription for two months, do as much with it as I can, and then try to end it before getting billed for the third month. Then if I ever want to go back, I subscribe again and start off, ending it again, etc. I don't like being locked into paying every month whether I'm active or not.

I would sort of prefer a "pay as you go" system, where you pay for whatever you use. For instance, I would pay by the hour for how much server time I use. Rather than just having to pay full price for months where I don't use the service at all and have that money go down the drain. But most people are okay with the subscription system because they don't miss the money, so it probably won't happen.

Last edited:

Mido

Version 1
If there are any games I really want to play that use it, I might be willing to pay. But honestly, I prefer single-player games anyway, so there's a good chance that I won't end up playing online enough to justify paying for a subscription.

This is definitely important. As I've noted before, I think the deal is strong; but it's equally pivotal for Nintendo to have a strong lineup of games sporting potent online communities. Splatoon 2 is a strong example of this, and I hope to see more powerhouses in the future if any make appearances down the line.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
This is definitely important. As I've noted before, I think the deal is strong; but it's equally pivotal for Nintendo to have a strong lineup of games sporting potent online communities. Splatoon 2 is a strong example of this, and I hope to see more powerhouses in the future if any make appearances down the line.

I think there's been a strong focus on online thus far with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, now Arms, and even Splatoon 2 later. So they better have big plans for more online stuff. They've already announced that the classic games you get as part of the subscription will have online play, so that's something. Smash Bros., even if just a deluxe version of the Wii U game would definitely be very popular too.

I just hope they implement online functionality with co-op games such as Donkey Kong and Mario. I always play those type of games with my brother and we each have our own copy of the game and our own system and it's pretty annoying that we can't just play cooperatively online so that we both get to keep the save data.

I also think Mario Party is a great franchise that could benefit from online play. However, they'll definitely need to up the ante. They could give it the Mario Kart and Smash Bros. treatment and focus on one game per generation with plenty of boards, mini-games, and modes. They could even recycle fan favorite mini-games from the past and such to beef up the content.

Anyway, 20 bucks ain't bad at all, especially compared to what the other guys are charging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom