• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch Paid Online

The Nintendo Switch presentation was one of the best in Nintendo's history, but a big sour spot for me was the announcement of paid online. Xbox Live and PSN already charge $60 per year for online, so this is a tough sell to people who already pay for those systems. Also, Nintendo fans are used to paid online. For the kids who play, free online was definitely a boon. They could play without asking their parents. So, what do you think about the paid premium for online multiplayer for Switch?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...-snes-games-with-online-pay-for-members-more/

"Paid service launching fall 2017
Free trial period starts in March
This service lets Nintendo Switch owners enjoy online multiplayer gaming as well as a dedicated smartphone app that connects to your Nintendo Switch system and helps you connect with friends for online play sessions.

Check back for more details on the service and its features after the Nintendo Switch system launches.

Available in March (Free trial)
Online Play on Nintendo Switch

You’ll be able to play compatible co-op and competitive games online by signing in with your Nintendo Account. Online play will be free for Nintendo Account holders until our paid online service launches in fall 2017.

After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.

This service is only for Nintendo Switch. It does not affect Wii U or Nintendo 3DS systems or online play.

Planned for fall 2017
Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

Monthly game download

Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

Exclusive deals

Special offers for subscribers may include discounts on select digital games and content."
Ninonline.jpeg

Last edited:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
They said it was for "smart devices" that connect with the Switch and I'll continue to say that doesn't necessary mean ALL online services cost money until Nintendo says one way or the other.
http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...-snes-games-with-online-pay-for-members-more/

"Paid service launching fall 2017
Free trial period starts in March
This service lets Nintendo Switch owners enjoy online multiplayer gaming as well as a dedicated smartphone app that connects to your Nintendo Switch system and helps you connect with friends for online play sessions.

Check back for more details on the service and its features after the Nintendo Switch system launches.

Available in March (Free trial)
Online Play on Nintendo Switch

You’ll be able to play compatible co-op and competitive games online by signing in with your Nintendo Account. Online play will be free for Nintendo Account holders until our paid online service launches in fall 2017.

After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.

This service is only for Nintendo Switch. It does not affect Wii U or Nintendo 3DS systems or online play.

Planned for fall 2017
Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

Monthly game download

Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

Exclusive deals

Special offers for subscribers may include discounts on select digital games and content."
View attachment 38275

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Obviously not good news, but it's not exactly a criminal sin since it's competitors are doing it. They did miss a marketing trick though, having no paid online could be a determining factor between the choice of one console over the other.

Does Nintendo need the revenue that bad, they are forcing this on it's Switch players? I honestly fail to see any reason apart from nintendo need the money, that would make this attractive at all to Nintnedo. I don't know why they are doing this.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
They're talking about a smartphone app dude. I'm going to remain skeptical until they release those more details they're talking about.

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

It's not just a smartphone app. "This service lets Nintendo Switch owners enjoy online multiplayer gaming as well as a dedicated smartphone app that connects to your Nintendo Switch system and helps you connect with friends for online play sessions." That's straight from Nintendo's website.

This is honestly the only thing that's disappointed me so far. I don't like the idea of paid online, and have never used it even with the Playstation consoles I've owned. I think it's going to turn away some people who were on the fence about getting the Switch. Hopefully they make it super affordable, otherwise, I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it or not.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
It was only a matter of time, really. Sony and Microsoft are making money from their online system. Nintendo is a company that is in the business of making money. We're lucky to have been able to have free online gaming up to this point.

It's disappointing because we've been spoiled, but it isn't surprising or a deal-breaker.

Im gutted. I dont pay for online on my ps4 because i refuse. Its horrific to pay £50 for a game £20-40+ for season passes and then £40 for a year of online. ****ing no.

I enjoy Splatoon and its cool to play online for free but i dont love splatoon enough to ever pay to play it, Splatoon 2 probably wont be a buy for me, unless the the single player is robust and local multiplayer has enough modes.

Mario kart 8 im fine offline but the day will come when Zelda goes online and that will be a dark day.

So yeah. Paid online will make me not buy games.

I expected it but dayum.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Honestly, this was incredibly surprising to hear; I never thought Nintendo would do it. It seemed like they wanted to forever keep the appeal of free online. The way I heard it described at first, I assumed payment was only necessary for the smartphone features.

I never liked paying for online gameplay on my Xbox 360, mainly because I was extremely sporadic with how much I played. I'd undoubtedly be more consistent with Nintendo games with access to Splatoon and Mario Kart at least. Still, it all comes down to the cost. If it's especially reasonable and the additional features are worth it, I can't imagine being too unhappy with the idea. Otherwise, Splatoon 2 will be severely lacking, as sad as it is...

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

It's not just a smartphone app. "This service lets Nintendo Switch owners enjoy online multiplayer gaming as well as a dedicated smartphone app that connects to your Nintendo Switch system and helps you connect with friends for online play sessions." That's straight from Nintendo's website.
Alright, that one sets it more clearly in stone. Guess I gotta eat my words; I was wrong. And I'm really disappointed... but still getting the Switch. The reason I was so skeptical was summed up pretty well by Krash:
Honestly, this was incredibly surprising to hear; I never thought Nintendo would do it. It seemed like they wanted to forever keep the appeal of free online. The way I heard it described at first, I assumed payment was only necessary for the smartphone features.

I hope this doesn't become a thing for the 3DS in the future.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
And just like that, Nintendo has been D R O P P E D. Paid online? Ahahaha servers are absolute cheap for upkeep, and knowing Nintendo theyll be giving P2P servers anyway. Oh well, not like any of the games on the Switch's lifecycle will have anything worth playing online. Nintendo once again shooting himself in the foot. I will pirate BotW and **** on Nintendo's chest for this. I'll make them beg for forgiveness. And if they don't reverse this paid online cr*p....heh....

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Alright, that one sets it more clearly in stone. Guess I gotta eat my words; I was wrong. And I'm really disappointed... but still getting the Switch. The reason I was so skeptical was summed up pretty well by Krash:

I hope this doesn't become a thing for the 3DS in the future.

Yeah, just from the presentation they did, I thought it might just be for the app features as well since they were pretty vague about it. Saw the section about the online service on their website though and checked that which confirmed it wasn't just for the app. I honestly wasn't expecting it either, since it just doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do, nor does it seem like a good move for them.

Mido

Version 1
It was only a matter of time, really. Sony and Microsoft are making money from their online system. Nintendo is a company that is in the business of making money. We're lucky to have been able to have free online gaming up to this point.

It's disappointing because we've been spoiled, but it isn't surprising or a deal-breaker.

This pretty much summarizes my thoughts on the matter. Definitely to be expected, but I'm nevertheless intrigued to see how the price of subscription is handled.

Also, @Lozjam, I find that chart interesting. It seems that Nintendo is operating under degrees of online services akin to Xbox Live Silver and Gold. At the very least, it's nice to see the options even if the subscription is the definitive version of Nintendo's online based on what we are currently seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom