• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Maybe, it's because of the LAN tournaments that have been hosted around the country. Some of them have been supported by Nintendo themselves.
Damn, Krash. How about hooking a fellow N-Zap user up? All you have to do is get me plane tickets from USA to Australia, house me, feed me, make sure I don't get lost, bathe me, get my shots, and name me. C'mon, Cephloraptors 4 lyfe.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
If you're doing that, Krash, take me too so we can play smash.
Krash is my friend and I won't share him.

Getting back on topic, something that gets me is the rumored cost being 250-300. Where are the savings coming out of?

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I hear many reports that GameStop will only have 10-15 Switches per store......

That's more than the Wii. The three local stores in the city I lived in at the time got 3, 2, and 3 Wiis when it launched. I knew the manager at one, so I got one of the 3. But can you imagine? In a city of about 50,000 people, there were EIGHT Wiis. Absurd.

Maybe with the Wii the underestimated the demand for it, I'm not sure. But I can tell you that 10-15 per store isn't that bad. Especially when you consider other stores will have them too. Wal-mart, K-mart, Target, Best Buy, etc..

It could be worse, is what I'm saying.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Ahhhhhh. The day after tomorrow, this Switch truly comes... Boy is this exciting...

But I do not have any expectations besides what has been rumored.

Tibari

Rinkuji
I'm hyped for the Switch, and I'm glad I will be able to test it :D
I'll bring some nice pictures and/or videos after the event :p

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Well.... Switchmas is finally upon us. In a little more than 9 hours, everything will change.

For the better or for the worse, this event will detail the future of Nintendo. It will either leave gamers singing high praise, or leave them heavily critical.

From now on, we are seeing a different Nintendo. A different, new Nintendo.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Well.... Switchmas is finally upon us. In a little more than 9 hours, everything will change.

For the better or for the worse, this event will detail the future of Nintendo. It will either leave gamers singing high praise, or leave them heavily critical.

From now on, we are seeing a different Nintendo. A different, new Nintendo.

Or it'll just be the Wii U again. We know how Nintendo loves to **** things up for the sake of "innovation".

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Or it'll just be the Wii U again. We know how Nintendo loves to **** things up for the sake of "innovation".
I said for better and for worse. And let me raise you something. "Or it will just be the 3DS again. We know how Nintendo loves to put quality games on a system, for the sake of sales."

We know what the Switch is, and something like the Switch is truly innovativ, unlike the Wii U. It changes how, and where you play games, but it doesn't change the way that you play games. Games will all use a standard controller. The only thing different, is that you can take the console on the go.

Now, there will likely be some games that use some motion controls, but they likely won't be forced. Like Splatoon.

But the idea of the Switch is to give players a choice.

However, let's make one thing clear. This is not the Wii U. The marketing of this thing, the design, using cutting edge technology, and the idea of a combined platform is vastly different to that of the Wii U. If the Switch fails, it's going to be for different reasons than the Wii U.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I said for better and for worse. And let me raise you something. "Or it will just be the 3DS again. We know how Nintendo loves to put quality games on a system, for the sake of sales."

We know what the Switch is, and something like the Switch is truly innovativ, unlike the Wii U. It changes how, and where you play games, but it doesn't change the way that you play games. Games will all use a standard controller. The only thing different, is that you can take the console on the go.

Now, there will likely be some games that use some motion controls, but they likely won't be forced. Like Splatoon.

But the idea of the Switch is to give players a choice.

However, let's make one thing clear. This is not the Wii U. The marketing of this thing, the design, using cutting edge technology, and the idea of a combined platform is vastly different to that of the
Wii U. If the Switch fails, it's going to be for different reasons than the Wii U.

Nintendo created the 3DS, yes, and yes, it has dominated the handheld field, but the Wii U was little more than a drowning man in the sea of console gaming. Unlike most other Nintendo systems, it had few original first party titles to fall back on--and those that were released for the system just... weren't any good. We've seen how Nintendo treats the likes of Star Fox, Metroid, Paper Mario, and Zelda, so they don't have a good track record as of late.

The idea of the Switch is cool. It's the kind of system the Playstation Vita began as: a handheld equivalent of a console system. But Nintendo doesn't do so well in the idea department these days. Heck, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild only looks and feels as good as it does, because Nintendo passed it off to an entirely new team of developers.

So, I'll hold off on any enthusiasm until we've learned a few things.

1) Will Breath of the Wild be a launch title? Any answer but "yes" would be a terrible move on Nintendo's part, since they need a system seller to keep themselves in the market alongside the Xbox One and Playstation 4, since both systems have large and established libraries full of great titles from plenty of first, second, and third party developers.

2) What will the launch titles be and what sort of titles should we expect in the months following launch? Because the hardware may be cool, but if developers don't take to it (or, more likely, if Nintendo ****s up the system's intended demographic).

3) What kind of hardware will the Switch itself have? All we have now are vague promises and a statement from Nvidia that they think the graphics card they put in the Switch is super cool. Since we have a sort of half new generation on the horizon, the Switch might be left in the dust once again. Developers steered clear of the Wii U in part because it was a technologically weaker system. And don't feed me anything about how hardware doesn't determine the quality of the games. I know that. But it will determine whether or not developers think the Switch will handle the same games being released for the Playstation 4 Pro and whatever the heck Xbox One's Scorpion winds up being.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Tonight will define for me whether I make it 7 for 7 in terms on Nintendo consoles. The Wii U disappointed me not because of the hardware (it was adequate) or the games (what little we did get was phenomenal). The Wii U disappointed because of how Nintendo handled the Wii U. It's not that I don't want a Switch, it's just that I don't want Nintendo to pull a Wii U on me again. I spent hundreds of dollars on the Wii U, peripherals, and games, only for Nintendo to literally tell me I made a mistake and that they're moving on. UNACCEPTABLE.

So in 20 minutes I'll see if Nintendo earns my custom again, or whether I'm going to Sony exclusively.

Don't let me down, Nintendo.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Will Breath of the Wild be a launch title? Any answer but "yes" would be a terrible move on Nintendo's part, since they need a system seller to keep themselves in the market alongside the Xbox One and Playstation 4, since both systems have large and established libraries full of great titles from plenty of first, second, and third party developers.

2) What will the launch titles be and what sort of titles should we expect in the months following launch? Because the hardware may be cool, but if developers don't take to it (or, more likely, if Nintendo ****s up the system's intended demographic).

Launching with only Arms and 1 2 Switch.

8ab63cfb06b201ead22d60a80cd3f6df00727595b62b0f5abffae91f7a766562.jpg

EDIT: ...and Breath of the Wild.

BUT I MOSTLY CALLED IT.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
That we know? They didn't really give any dates. They showed a lot of snippets during that last bit, but no dates, so who knows. But they really should have released more dates, for sure.

They should have done so, because they didn't exactly give us much to work with. They spoke at the end about how they hoped they'd given enough for people to be excited about the Switch, but they really didn't--Breath of the Wild notwithstanding. There just isn't much to justify buying one at launch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom