• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It is working though....

With the Wii U, they made a terrible mistake by revealing the console way too early. This led to, as we know, a very terrible launch.

Now Nintendo is doing the exact opposite.
Now, this may be a little bit too much, considering the console is releasing in March, and we only know of a simple concept of the system.

However, Nintendo has been more searched in Google and Social Media than Microsoft and Sony, and the Switch has been way more highly wanted than the Wii U.

The Switch now has over 22,000,000 views in America alone, and this was just a simple 3 minute teaser. Worldwide the Switch has over 30,000,000 views, and this isn't even counting journalists videos, like GameXplain, IGN, GameSpot, ect.

It's clear that this mystery keeps the press rolling with Switch news, with all these rumors and speculation, this creates press with the Switch for all gamers.

While I do agree that this may be a tight timeframe, it's clear that Nintendo's marketing strategy, as of now, is working.

It's working in terms of attention, but it's not working in any measurably profitable way since they haven't unveiled anything as simple as a pricetag.. You shouldn't roll everything out, because you need to savor the hype, but they should have offered something. While they play their little song and dance game, their competitors have released new variations of their consoles with new features and further secured their spots in an already entrenched market.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
It's working in terms of attention, but it's not working in any measurably profitable way since they haven't unveiled anything as simple as a pricetag.. You shouldn't roll everything out, because you need to savor the hype, but they should have offered something. While they play their little song and dance game, their competitors have released new variations of their consoles with new features and further secured their spots in an already entrenched market.
They did offer something October, and that little thing has captured over their "variation of consoles" in terms of interest, by a landslide.
http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/14/n...n-playstation-vr-ps4-pro-or-xbox-one-in-2016/

similarweb_search_volume.jpg

This is because, Nintendo is not aiming to take the PS4 and XBO market

They are simultaneously making it a supplemental market to those who own PS4, and XBO(there is a benefit to having a Switch alongside a PS4, and XBO. Because you will be able to take games such as Skyrim on the go, plus lucrative exclusives such as Breath of the Wild). While adding and capturing the handheld market. Which is why the Switch has been doing so well with added interest.

And don't worry about the price tag either. That will all be revealed come January 12th, so it is not too far away.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
It is working though....

With the Wii U, they made a terrible mistake by revealing the console way too early. This led to, as we know, a very terrible launch.

That logic does not follow. Revealing a console does not lead to bad launch. Bad launch was caused by other things, not by revealing early.

They are simultaneously making it a supplemental market to those who own PS4, and XBO(there is a benefit to having a Switch alongside a PS4, and XBO. Because you will be able to take games such as Skyrim on the go, plus lucrative exclusives such as Breath of the Wild). While adding and capturing the handheld market. Which is why the Switch has been doing so well with added interest.

And don't worry about the price tag either. That will all be revealed come January 12th, so it is not too far away.

This doesn't make sense either. If they're not going for the same market, then why have the same games? No, they're going for the exact same market, and the fact that they are planning on having the same games is the evidence. They're hoping to have people pick the Switch over the PS4.

And everyone knows interest ≠ sales. The interest is there now, but once the thing is finally revealed, people may not want it. Saying it's a popular search engine term today has exactly 0 bearing on whether it's going to be a success.

I still think the stupid thing is going to tank. I also think not talking about it is a mistake, despite the added interest.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
They did offer something October, and that little thing has captured over their "variation of consoles" in terms of interest, by a landslide.
http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/14/n...n-playstation-vr-ps4-pro-or-xbox-one-in-2016/

similarweb_search_volume.jpg

This is delusional. You're comparing Nintendo as a company to Playstation and X Box as individual gaming devices which is unfair. Nintendo has multiple products. Not to mention the Switch is an entirely new console and can't be compared to upgraded versions of already existing consoles. Granted you're the same person who said that Nintendo is the most recognizable brand in the world (when it's not even top 50) and that Mario is more recognizable than Mickey Mouse so I shouldn't be surprised.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
This is delusional. You're comparing Nintendo as a company to Playstation and X Box as individual gaming devices which is unfair. Nintendo has multiple products. Not to mention the Switch is an entirely new console and can't be compared to upgraded versions of already existing consoles. Granted you're the same person who said that Nintendo is the most recognizable brand in the world (when it's not even top 50) and that Mario is more recognizable than Mickey Mouse so I shouldn't be surprised.
PlayStation has multiple devices, as does XBox.

PlayStation, for example, actually has a as big of a product line than Nintendo's gaming devices selling right now in quantity. And Sony's PlayStation alone is altogether a bigger company than Nintendo as well.
PlayStation TV
PlayStation Vita
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 4 Pro
PlayStation VR

Versus Nintendo's:
Switch
Wii U
3DS
New 3DS
NES Classic

I should also say, things such as Pokemon Go, Mario Run, and Amiibo didn't count within the search engine's verification.
This is only for searches such as "Nintendo Switch", and games such as Mario Run, Horizon Zero Dawn, or Breath of the Wild similarly don't count for either total.

Jamie

PlayStation has multiple devices, as does XBox.

PlayStation, for example, actually has a as big of a product line than Nintendo's gaming devices selling right now in quantity. And Sony's PlayStation alone is altogether a bigger company than Nintendo as well.
PlayStation TV
PlayStation Vita
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 4 Pro
PlayStation VR

Versus Nintendo's:
Switch
Wii U
3DS
New 3DS
NES Classic

I should also say, things such as Pokemon Go, Mario Run, and Amiibo didn't count within the search engine's verification.
This is only for searches such as "Nintendo Switch", and games such as Mario Run, Horizon Zero Dawn, or Breath of the Wild similarly don't count for either total.
Simply the search "Nintendo" should garner more results than "Playstation" because Nintendo has first party games.

There is no question over what has more searches between Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. Sony and Microsoft both have much more aside from the occasional Nintendo spike.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
That's true, although it seems everyone has had their eyes on Nintendo these past few months even if it is just the occasional spike in search activity. Nintendo has had several points of interest over the course of the year, yet I recall Sony and Microsoft having quite a bit more exposure in October-November with the PS Pro and Xbox Slim.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Simply the search "Nintendo" should garner more results than "Playstation" because Nintendo has first party games.

There is no question over what has more searches between Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. Sony and Microsoft both have much more aside from the occasional Nintendo spike.
Like I said, games do not count within this. If I typed in "Breath of the Wild", or "Zelda", that would not count.

Also, what the hell are you smoking? October through November especially, there haven't been any first party games. Besides Breath of the Wild, a game that doesn't have a release date yet, and Sun and Moon, which is Pokemon Company, not Nintendo.

Well yeah, Sony and Microsoft would have bigger searches if you went bigger than their gaming division. I mean, come on. Microsoft is the second biggest computer company in the world, and the single leading developer of software. Sony is the biggest hardware electronics maker in the world and the maker of some of the worst movies of all time this year. Comparing that as an entire company versus Nintendo would be like comparing Apple to Sega. It simply isn't like that because they are different companies. However, taking the gaming divisions of each company is totally a fair comparison.

Nintendo just makes videogames and Videogame hardware.

Also, this search with Nintendo isn't a spike, it's a trend. I wouldn't call 3 month, 1/4 of a year, a sudden spike. People are just much more interested in Nintendo than they are Sony and Microsoft regarding gaming.

Regarding the fact that this trend is increasing with Nintendo, leads to the fact that people are very curious about the Switch. All their questions will indeed be answered in just 2 weeks. And it is then we will see whether all this interest, can garner sales.

Jamie

Well yeah, Sony and Microsoft would have bigger searches if you went bigger than their gaming division. I mean, come on. Microsoft is the second biggest computer company in the world, and the single leading developer of software. Sony is the biggest hardware electronics maker in the world and the maker of some of the worst movies of all time this year. Comparing that as an entire company versus Nintendo would be like comparing Apple to Sega. It simply isn't like that because they are different companies. However, taking the gaming divisions of each company is totally a fair comparison.
But I thought Nintendo was the biggest brand in the world?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
But I thought Nintendo was the biggest brand in the world?
Ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself

Dude you are completely ignoring the facts just because you don't agree with what the facts present. Turning something that I said months ago and completely ignoring what I am saying is not helping your argument.

And actually, yes. Nintendo is still the biggest Videogame hardware maker, as the 3DS has sold quite a bit more than the XBO and PS4.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
And actually, yes. Nintendo is still the biggest Videogame hardware maker, as the 3DS has sold quite a bit more than the XBO and PS4.
This is far from a fair statement because the the PS4 was released late in 2013, while the 3DS was released 2 and a half years earlier. Considering the PS4, at 50M units sold, is only about 10M behind the 3DS, it's safe to say the PS4 is a better seller overall. You say to look at "facts" yet you ignore this blatant fact that makes that argument invalid.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
This is far from a fair statement because the the PS4 was released late in 2013, while the 3DS was released 2 and a half years earlier. Considering the PS4, at 50M units sold, is only about 10M behind the 3DS, it's safe to say the PS4 is a better seller overall. You say to look at "facts" yet you ignore this blatant fact that makes that argument invalid.
However, the fact that Nintendo has much higher brand power at the current moment.

Currently the PS4 is still behind the 3DS. Nintendo still has a bigger mindshare regarding this current market. I have no doubt that the 3DS will eventually be overtaken by the PS4 as Nintendo gradually shifts its resources to the Switch. But currently, Nintendo still has a larger install base. Even so, this is ultimately has nothing to do with the PS4 and XBO, but the Switch.

The fact is that the Switch is making waves of interest, and many people are indeed interested in the console. Like I said, we will have to to wait until January 12th to see if this will translate into sales.

Jamie

Dude you are completely ignoring the facts just because you don't agree with what the facts present. Turning something that I said months ago and completely ignoring what I am saying is not helping your argument.
Okay, but it's not an ad hominem.

However, the fact that Nintendo has much higher brand power at the current moment.

Currently the PS4 is still behind the 3DS. Nintendo still has a bigger mindshare regarding this current market. I have no doubt that the 3DS will eventually be overtaken by the PS4 as Nintendo gradually shifts its resources to the Switch. But currently, Nintendo still has a larger install base. Even so, this is ultimately has nothing to do with the PS4 and XBO, but the Switch.

The fact is that the Switch is making waves of interest, and many people are indeed interested in the console. Like I said, we will have to to wait until January 12th to see if this will translate into sales.
This is nonsense. If you add up all of the sales playstation consoles and nintendo consoles have sold since the release of the 3DS, playstation wins. You're using faulty logic now. Nintendo does not have higher brand power right now than Sony, and it doesn't have higher brand power than Playstation, that's just bull****. The PS4 is selling faster than both Nintendo consoles combined, so obviously Playstation has higher brand power or their console wouldn't be doing so damn well. Your logic is fallacious at best, and downright untrue at worst.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Okay, but it's not an ad hominem.

This is nonsense. If you add up all of the sales playstation consoles and nintendo consoles have sold since the release of the 3DS, playstation wins. You're using faulty logic now. Nintendo does not have higher brand power right now than Sony, and it doesn't have higher brand power than Playstation, that's just bull****. The PS4 is selling faster than both Nintendo consoles combined, so obviously Playstation has higher brand power or their console wouldn't be doing so damn well. Your logic is fallacious at best, and downright untrue at worst.
What?
Since the release of the 3DS, Nintendo has sold 74 million consoles, 61 million for the 3DS, and 13 million for the Wii U, versus 14 Million and 47 million for the Vita and PS4.

But this has nothing to do with the Switch.

Like I said, Switch has garnered way more interest in Nintendo in general, and what they currently are doing for marketing is apparently working for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom