• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

@Lozjam

You will actually be able to take games on the go. - mmm, ok i guess i can only speak for myself, but i dont know anyone who plays serious video games outside of the house nor why should they. Unless they're kids in school. Its great to be able to play games on a smaller screen in bed and stuff, but the wii u does that already.

Switch will actually get games for it.- That's what was told to is when the Wii U launched, im hearing the same song

Switch will have more third party support at launch.- same as above, i dont believe it, specially since there is still a pronounced difference in power compared to the other consoles

Switch will be getting all the good Wii U games while getting new ones as well- And how long will it take? And who decides what the good games are? I might as well just buy the wii u and get access to wii games as well.

You can also completely ignore the detachable controllers, set yourself with the Switch Pro controller, and not deal with it ever again if you don't want to- i dont know how this is a valid excuse, it was
The same with the wii u. So you're telling me its ok to ship the console with a gamepad that doesnt even have a proper d-pad, because guess what you can spend an additional 50 bucks to buy an actual good controller?

I mean... its fine if you think this is appealing to you, i just see a lot of the same issues the wii u had. In fact almost all of the same issues, now its a matter of seeing how much it will cost.

I like the look of this, the only Nintendo I've had since the N64 is the 3DS but I'm definitely considering getting on board with this console!

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
@Adventurer of Hyrule:
I play games on the go all the time because that's what my schedule allows as a school bus driver. I can't wait to play Breath of the Wild while I'm waiting to pick up a football team or a group of kids at a field trip. Also, the controller thing isn't really all that big a deal. What have you actually needed a D Pad for in any game that an analog stick wouldn't be better for? And even if you prefer of over the other, that doesn't completely discredit it. It still works, and if the games are great, you probably won't care.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I remember when @Lozjam made this prediction over a year ago that the NX would use cartridges. Holy ****, man. You hit the nail on the head.

@Adventurer of Hyrule:
I play games on the go all the time because that's what my schedule allows as a school bus driver. I can't wait to play Breath of the Wild while I'm waiting to pick up a football team or a group of kids at a field trip. Also, the controller thing isn't really all that big a deal. What have you actually needed a D Pad for in any game that an analog stick wouldn't be better for? And even if you prefer of over the other, that doesn't completely discredit it. It still works, and if the games are great, you probably won't care.

I use the dpad for everything that doesnt involve 3d movement (interface, messages, game menus, 2d platformers, indie games, fighting games)

I think it's genius on multiple levels. It's hard for me to justify owning both a console AND a handheld, when I have little time and money for gaming, being a working adult with a baby. But this, being portable and a console, fits the bill perfectly.

I think the controller is beyond genius. My favorite part is the way the two sides of the controller can EACH stand on their own as a mini control pad complete with joystick and four buttons. This solves the problem of handheld systems like the 3DS not being multiplayer unless another person has a 3DS too. I can take my Switch with me on a trip, and my wife and I could play a game on it with the mini controllers. Or I could combine them back into one for some solo Zelda gaming.

All in all, I'm super psyched for this system. Now if I can somehow sell all my earthly possessions and afford it...

So I scoured this video trying to find every small detail and here's what I found. We'll start with the big ones
•3 controllers with several uses each
-regular controller
For at home gameplay (with friends if you have spares)
It's controls consist of a, b, y, x, two analog sticks, shoulder buttons, start (+), select (-), home and a small unknown button.

-square controller
Also for home but uses the sticks rather than a regulate button layout (probably if you prefer those controls vs the regular controller.

-gamepad controller
A screen with the two stick controllers. The controllers come off and the gamepad has a kickstand if you want to place it on a table or something and don't want to hold the pad itself. The sticks can also be used for two players. Aside from both stick controllers (see below) the gamepad has two shoulder buttons, buttons across the top (most likely power and volume) a cartridge slot, and a headphone jack (better than iPhone 7!)

•The sticks
These are two controller buttons layouts that can be removed or rejoined as you wish. They each have identical button layouts of a, b, y, x, an analog stick, and two shoulder buttons.

===Less obvious features===
•The transition from TV to mobile is instantaneus, simply remove the gamepad.
•No stylus was shown and you're not able to use the gamepad at home. This means no touchscreen which means no compatibility with Wii U games whatsoever :( .
•One stick has a miniscule D-pad and the other a minuscule - button, I have no idea what these are
•In the car sequence where they play Mario Kart it shows them sliding the pad into some holder of sorts. It may come with the device or it may be sold separately but at least you don't have to hold it.
======shown games======
•Zelda BoTW
•Mario Kart
•NBA 2K(17?)
• an Elder SCROLLS game?
•a new Mario 64-esque style game.
•Splatoon 2

Overall I'm very excited for this console. The only thing I'm unsure of is battery life and controlling something like Mario Kart with one stick. What are your opinions?

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
I'm not 100% on board yet, but the Switch definitely has my attention. I dig the control scheme and that it's also portable (which is a huge plus for me -- I'm constantly on the move so handheld tends to be my preferred method of gaming), but there's still a lot of questions I need answered like what the battery life is like and how much is this thing going to cost.

I won't be grabbing the Switch right away, but I'm catiously optimistic about it. Now, hopefully there won't be any Nintendo Lite Switches up the pipeline from Nintendo. :P

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Ugly lookin' thing, but I'm excited for what it can do. I would definitely be doing a lot more gaming since I can go mobile with it. Also anyone else see that Splatoon footage? I'm getting excited that we might be getting Splatoon 2, and Skyri,!?! :eek: I want to see what's that about.
Overall I'm thinking I want this.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Ugly lookin' thing, but I'm excited for what it can do. I would definitely be doing a lot more gaming since I can go mobile with it. Also anyone else see that Splatoon footage? I'm getting excited that we might be getting Splatoon 2, and Skyri,!?! :eek: I want to see what's that about.
Overall I'm thinking I want this.
Skyrim remastered edition is indeed coming to the Switch.

In all actuallity, Bethesda is "thrilled" to be making games for Nintendo systems.
https://mobile.twitter.com/bethesda/status/789125712196341760

This is definitely the biggest indicator that third party support will be strong for the NX, because Bethesda has never made games for Nintendo platforms.

I am very excited for this new system! I like the fact that u can actually take it on the go! I just hope they will have some accessories to help with this. Like a life proof case! I can see little kids running around the house and dropping it. I also like that they went back to cartridges again. Faster load times will be a plus! Did anyone notice if there was a slot for a mirco SD? I hope there will be. I can't see Nintendo not having this feature since everything will be digital for the most part. Any guesses on what the memory size we will be offered at launch? It better be more than 32 gb. I would be happy with 64 and up. And for them to support 128 gb mirco sd cards. That would make me happy. What about the controllers? They look really small and awkward to hold. The stick and the buttons r really close together. I have big hands so I will most likely buy the new controller addon. My biggest concern is the battery life. Sure hope it's better than the Wii U version. I plan of spending many hours playing BoTw, and I need long battery life to keep me happy.

Overall. It's a new direction Nintendo is taking....or should I say they r 'switching' it up for the next generation!

D

Deleted member 81859

Real talk here.

I hate this. I hate this concept.
Nintendo has lost me.

I'll stay arround for BOTW, but there's no way in hell the market is gonna take this thing seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom