• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

14650094_1311176638894870_1837600774463246345_n.jpg

Just like the WiiU, there will be a lot of 3rd party support at launch. Lets hope Nintendo does not screw it up like with the WiiU.

Mario, your topic is in yet another thread ;)
Keep all the information in one topic is better. Just sticky this topic and put it all here.
Just like we did for the NX rumour topic. (The moderators refused to rename that topic and just killed it. Sad but it's life, we move on :) )

Looks like a Wii U in form and function. The detachable controllers look unpractical... unless this comes at a great price it doesnt seem like a good investment right now. im going to wait until they mention something about bringing wii u or 3Ds games into the platform, but as it is i might as well just buy a cheap wii u for the time being.

Looks like a Wii U in form and function. The detachable controllers look unpractical... unless this comes at a great price it doesnt seem like a good investment right now. im going to wait until they mention something about bringing wii u or 3Ds games into the platform, but as it is i might as well just buy a cheap wii u for the time being.
The rumour is there will be WiiU selects (ports or remakes) for the Switch.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
Did anyone else think that the BOTW footage in the Nintendo Switch trailer was better than the footage in the two new trailers?

Night Owl

~Momentai
This thing looks awesome. It's obviously the next step in blurring the line between handheld and console.
I wonder if Nintendo got the idea from the video i saw just after release of someone playing the wii u on an airplane because of off screen play.

Cartridges read/write faster than disks, so there should be less latency when loading games? Though I think we'd lose any backwards compatibility with the wiiu.

I'm probably going to get it, because this seems like the perfect console for a college student who is rarely at home.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
The difference between the NX and Wii U:
Switch will be more powerful, especially when docked.
You will actually be able to take games on the go.
Switch will actually get games for it.
Switch will have more third party support at launch.
Switch will be getting all the good Wii U games while getting new ones as well.
You can also completely ignore the detachable controllers, set yourself with the Switch Pro controller, and not deal with it ever again if you don't want to.
Sure, but since it uses cartiges can we at least play our 3Ds games on it?
No. They use completely different architectures, making BC nearly impossible for 3DS, and the Switch uses a different type of cartridge.

This thing looks awesome. It's obviously the next step in blurring the line between handheld and console.
I wonder if Nintendo got the idea from the video i saw just after release of someone playing the wii u on an airplane because of off screen play.

Cartridges read/write faster than disks, so there should be less latency when loading games? Though I think we'd lose any backwards compatibility with the wiiu.

I'm probably going to get it, because this seems like the perfect console for a college student who is rarely at home.
I'm exactly in the same boat. As a college student, this is super exciting because I won't need to lug a whole console with me to play home console games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Nintendo got the idea from the great 3DS sales, poor WiiU sales and how good portable can be (iPad/iPhone). Also developers not having to choose which Nintendo console to develop for is a good thing too.

The difference between the NX and Wii U:
1. Switch will be more powerful, especially when docked.
2. You will actually be able to take games on the go.
3. Switch will actually get games for it.
4. Switch will have more third party support at launch.
5. Switch will be getting all the good Wii U games while getting new ones as well.
6. You can also completely ignore the detachable controllers, set yourself with the Switch Pro controller, and not deal with it ever again if you don't want to.
1. I agree. But the noticable difference might not be much as portable it's pushing less pixels.
2. Just like the 3DS.
3. Just like the WiiU and 3DS.
4. Correct. The WiiU was no slouch with 3rd party support at it's launch but Nintendo squandered that. THis time round though I think Nintendo will not make the same mistakes.
5. The rumours agree with you.
6. It looks like you can play this 4 different ways. iPad - Touch Screen. Pro Controller style. Wii mini controller style. WiiU gamepad style.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
Did anybody else notice that there doesn't seem to be any touch functionality? I'm wondering if they've removed it completely because I feel like the utility would still be nice in certain circumstances. What do you think?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think it is a good idea and will sell well with decent marketing. It's not a console which is going to change my life. I don't tend to game on the go or anything like that but for a lot of people I can see they will really benefit from this feature.

Looks okay.

Ummmm. I know we only saw seconds of new Zelda footage but the confirmed updated graphics didnt look too different from WiiU version and Switch version still has big pop ins (something i thought they might try to fix on Switch)

Looks okay as a console. I wont be taking it anywhere, wont be using the removable sides of the gamepad so i wont be using it for all its worth.

Right now it looks like exactly what the WiiU should have been but wasnt.

We saw Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon looking rathet different with new content (two items and king boo). And the console is using cards/cartridges which means no backwards compatability?

I dont want to have to buy those games again.

Night Owl

~Momentai
gallery02.jpg
Here is another image from Nintendo's website that I didn't see posted here.

Apparently the little controllers are called Joy-Cons
Your naming is as lousy as ever Nintendo lol

I wonder what the weight, battery life, maximum external temperature, and details are.

Grain of Salt Info
"I'm on a FB comment chain and a video game sales consultant from Best Buy is saying he was sourced the following information:
$349.99 retail
Ten games at launch, including the mystery Mario game
6 hour battery life
DS/3DS compatible (possibly only in portable mode)
Again, I don't know the guy, just a friend of a friend on FB. I expect skepticism, but I'm just adding to the discussion and potential points to discuss."
https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/58gz2k/first_look_...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom