• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New timeline dropped

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Yet, the creators of the Zelda series have gone on record, many, many times, stating that they want the fans to arrange the games how they see most fit. If there was one definitive timeline, it would defeat what they are going for. What you have been complaining about for as long as I can remember knowing you (as far as this site counts as knowing anyone), is not bug; it's a feature. "Official" timelines change, not because the team changes their mind, but because they embrace the different points of view on the subject. Calling for a definitive, solid, timeline is not calling for clarity, but calling for the art/intent to be fundamentally changed.
I find it hard to see it as selling point. When a developer like Nintendo releases an official chronology for their series, but releases products that contradict that while actively talking about how fans should ignore it then I can't help but see it as insulting. I can't think of a single narrative game that would be improved by the developer saying, "Actually, the story doesn't matter. We'd prefer if the players make up their own story for the game we sold them."

Yet, the creators of the Zelda series have gone on record, many, many times, stating that they want the fans to arrange the games how they see most fit. If there was one definitive timeline, it would defeat what they are going for. What you have been complaining about for as long as I can remember knowing you (as far as this site counts as knowing anyone), is not bug; it's a feature. "Official" timelines change, not because the team changes their mind, but because they embrace the different points of view on the subject. Calling for a definitive, solid, timeline is not calling for clarity, but calling for the art/intent to be fundamentally changed.
I wish more people would realize this

Daku Rinku

Dampe’s Acolyte
ZD Champion
Am I the only one who doesn't really care about the timeline (of course I'm fully aware of it though) but just care about the games? Sure, I know where a game belongs but don't care about the timeline at all
I am the same way. Its all legends. The timeline has become Zelda’s version of the Star Wars canon vs not canon that is ruining fandom. Its like., fine have a loose timeline, but treat it as Barbossa says, “they are more of guidlines than actual rules.” (POTC Curse of the Black Pearl),

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I am the same way. Its all legends. The timeline has become Zelda’s version of the Star Wars canon vs not canon that is ruining fandom. Its like., fine have a loose timeline, but treat it as Barbossa says, “they are more of guidlines than actual rules.” (POTC Curse of the Black Pearl),
Oh Barbossa!!! One of my fav POTC characters :D

Exactly!!! Something like a timeline or like you said canon vs non canon divides fans so much. Why not just sit down and enjoy the ride?

Daku Rinku

Dampe’s Acolyte
ZD Champion
Oh Barbossa!!! One of my fav POTC characters :D

Exactly!!! Something like a timeline or like you said canon vs non canon divides fans so much. Why not just sit down and enjoy the ride?
Geoffrey Rush is so talented. Barbossa is my favorite too.

Absolutely! Enjoy it all, every tale and adventure. :)

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Am I the only one who doesn't really care about the timeline (of course I'm fully aware of it though) but just care about the games? Sure, I know where a game belongs but don't care about the timeline at all
I think it's more that I don't want to make a special concession to Zelda. I've played plenty of series with far more intensive overarching narratives that don't need an excuse. Something as old and revered as Zelda shouldn't need a handicap when it trips over basic storytelling conventions.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I think the hullabaloo exists because some people don't agree with the timeline or find "faults" in it that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom