• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Nintendo Switch Online

So we aren't talking enough about NNSO and what it means. The big thing here for me is mario kart 64 and Starfox 64 online multiplayer. Nintendo seems to be planning to revitalize old titles with online features and that's important because of what it could mean for future 3D titles that never had online but were couch co-op. Potentially titles for Gamecube like Super Smash Bros Melee.

What are your thoughts on New Nintendo Switch Online?

I wasn't paying for the old one regularly and I doubt I'll pay even more for this one any time soon

It needs to be a good online service first and foremost, if I wanted to play a back catalog game I'd much sooner buy it than pay a subscription fee

I wasn't paying for the old one regularly and I doubt I'll pay even more for this one any time soon

It needs to be a good online service first and foremost, if I wanted to play a back catalog game I'd much sooner buy it than pay a subscription fee
I get that and for a long time I did not either. They are showing investment into the service, however, and I support that as long as they continue to grow it.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Imagine if it had come out this way.

"You can pay $20 for the regular, or you can get the deluxe for $30 and get access to N64 and Sega Genesis games!"

That's basically how it is.

well yeah but my point is that I don't think the regular is worth $20 and the extra content sure as heck ain't worth $30 to me

well yeah but my point is that I don't think the regular is worth $20 and the extra content sure as heck ain't worth $30 to me
That's fair. Although I think they'll improve it if they're making money off of online services. The netcode has been pretty trash for a long time, but I have noticed them improving.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Dedicated servers are the baseline for paid online subscriptions
No more of this peer to peer nonsense we shouldn't be subjected to that if it's something we're paying for

No more of this peer to peer nonsense we shouldn't be subjected to that if it's something we're paying for
I most certainly agree with this. Honestly I think they'll have to with viable competition from the steam deck and nick all-stars.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
So we aren't talking enough about NNSO and what it means. The big thing here for me is mario kart 64 and Starfox 64 online multiplayer. Nintendo seems to be planning to revitalize old titles with online features and that's important because of what it could mean for future 3D titles that never had online but were couch co-op. Potentially titles for Gamecube like Super Smash Bros Melee.

What are your thoughts on New Nintendo Switch Online?

Nintendo Switch Online has never been anything beyond mediocre and making people pay more just for access to Nintendo 64 games (once again in lieu of just being able to buy them) just emphasizes how lame the service was to start. It's still hard for me to think well of it when stuff like Xbox Game Pass exists.

MW7

I'll buy the upgrade immediately just for the ability to play N64 on the Switch. There are more games I want to see, but the announced ones have a good selection. To your point about online multiplayer, I think my friends and I played Pokemon Stadium 2 minigames more than anything else. If that eventually is added I know someone who might buy a switch and pay the subscription just for that.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I firmly believe gamecube will never come to NSO, DS maaaaybe but that's the furthest it'll go

anyways I don't like them charging more for some old games when they'll likely not make any improvements to the online infrastructure as is...but frick I sure would like to play some of those old games through handheld

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I would prefer to purchase them, but, I will pay purely for convenience of access.

I hate that I’ve not been able to purchase retro games on the Switch, but it’s easy to boot up my Switch and pay for access. It’s much more inconvenient to locate my N64 and connect it to my TV every time I feel like maybe playing MM or OoT over my always plugged in and ready to go Switch. And the price itself is nothing. I pay more per month for steaming service costs than I do per year for NSO access; it’s probably the cheapest thing I pay for.

Fig

The Altruist
You do realize all the Nintendo online games like Smash, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 are all peer-to-peer right? The only thing associated with dedicated servers is matchmaking but once synced up, the only thing between the 2+ players are their internet connection itself.

To respond to a question OP stated, I would actually be against a Melee rendition of being added through NSOs. I can sense the additional input lag from a mile away and why would I play Melee on terrible only when Melee on Dolphin is not only free but also has rollback netcode? I know I'm in the minority when it comes to this aspect in particular but I would not be in support of a re-issue of Melee if the online isn't as good as Slippi's rollback.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom