• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Nintendo Switch Online

You do realize all the Nintendo online games like Smash, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 are all peer-to-peer right? The only thing associated with dedicate servers is matchmaking but once synced up, the only thing between the 2+ players are their internet connection itself.

To respond to a question OP stated, I would actually be against a Melee rendition of being added through NSOs. I can sense the additional input lag from a mile away and why would I play Melee on terrible only when Melee on Dolphin is not only free but also has rollback netcode? I know I'm in the minority when it comes to this aspect in particular but I would not be in support of a re-issue of Melee if the online isn't as good as Slippi's rollback.
No, Fig, I completely agree with you. In fact I was an avid part of the smash netplay community right up until now because it's basically dead outside of pro streams.

Fig

The Altruist
Even then, I do believe we are still in the minority as most people play Smash just for fun, not caring about the competitive aspect (which is fine by the way) but that's also why the netcode is trash because as long as people don't care about the online, it can be pretty bad even though games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe have impeccable netcode in comparison to say Smash Ultimate.

Even then, I do believe we are still in the minority as most people play Smash just for fun, not caring about the competitive aspect (which is fine by the way) but that's also why the netcode is trash because as long as people don't care about the online, it can be pretty bad even though games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe have impeccable netcode in comparison to say Smash Ultimate.
Yeah you have to set yourself aside from the minority. You may want rollback but, yes, the casual demo doesn't care. With that said they couldn't just port melee because there's really no demand for vanilla melee.

Although I suspect that wiiu deluxe titles were kind of a test run on top of a way to make up for the wiiu's failure. Remember that the gamecube was a failure for Nintendo as well. My prediction is that Nintendo might be gearing up for deluxe gamecube titles with improved online services. Now that's something that would make money from all demographics.

Fig

The Altruist
Yeah you have to set yourself aside from the minority. You may want rollback but, yes, the casual demo doesn't care. With that said they couldn't just port melee because there's really no demand for vanilla melee.

Although I suspect that wiiu deluxe titles were kind of a test run on top of a way to make up for the wiiu's failure. Remember that the gamecube was a failure for Nintendo as well. My prediction is that Nintendo might be gearing up for deluxe gamecube titles with improved online services. Now that's something that would make money from all demographics.
Even if there was a demand, I guarantee you Nintendo would do something intentionally or not to mess up with the code of Melee either by giving it extra input lag for some reason to make it "accessible", change actual code to change mechanics like wavedashing (unlikely) or give us something like PAL Melee, effectively nerfing the core elements of Melee as most tournaments use NTSC-J or NTSC 1.1/1.2.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
$50 is kinda the max I was willing to pay, but if you think about it, it's really just $15 for the N64 games and they're forcing you to pay $15 to get the Sega Genesis also. Either way, the 25th can't come soon enough.

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahha

well yeah but my point is that I don't think the regular is worth $20 and the extra content sure as heck ain't worth $30 to me

when I said this I meant $30 total Nintendo

not $30 extra

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
okay I will say
the announcement that the ACNH DLC will be free with purchase of this, setting precedent for more DLC for first party titles in the future to be tied to the subscription, makes the awkwardly high price more palatable. If another game I play gets DLC announced then I'll buy a yearly subscription, yeah

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom