• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Navi's Annoyance - Overrated?

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
It's funny in the Deku Tree when you have to jump down to break the web, if you don't land close enough to the center Link will simply "bounce" up and down several times instead, and Navi's ^C of course gets triggered when you're near the web. So while Link's moving up and down she's repeatedly yelling "Hey!" :lol:

Hah, yeah. I remember that. And people constantly act like she does that through out the ENTIRE game, when it's not even close.

I

Idunnomyname

Navi is probably one of my favorite sidekicks, even if she wasn't that much of a character. I kinda wish Midna would use her crazy hair or something to tell me about enemies.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Navi's Annoyance IS overrated. Pressing CUP to get her to hush up did get annoying because there are placemarkers within the game that trigger her speech bubble, and I believe there is also a timer where she will remind you about your current objective. But, it was easily avoided with the help of the volume down button on every TV in existence, right? ^^

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Wow, so far I haven't seen one post in this thread that does think she isn't overrated. By the way...

ScreenshotOn2011-07-26at74844PM.png

When I saw that the thread had 33 replies and 333 views, I just had to take a picture. I think it's epic.

DarkHylian

Sage of Darkness
Very overrated. When I used to think of OoT Navi was one of the last things that came to my mind. I remember her saying "Hey" and "Listen" but never enough to annoy me. She was actually my favorite little hint guide until Midna came around.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
I liked Midna. I don't think I hate any of the sidekicks, but my least-favorite would probably have to be Ciela from Phantom Hourglass. That game just never amused me as much as most of the other Zelda titles did.

Out of all of the sidekicks, however, Navi is the only one with a barrel full of criticism constantly dumped on her. I hope this article will make that barrel leak.

DarkHylian

Sage of Darkness
Actually I really loved Phantom Zelda from Spirit Tracks also. I really don't know which one I like the best... :S It's a toss up between Midna/Navi/Phantom Zelda

Garo

Boy Wonder
She is nothing like Kaepora Gaebora. You cannot skip him. And he gives you more useless information than Navi. (Adamwestslapdog on YouTube made a really good example of this. "Hoot hoot! Link, my boy(MAI BOI!! lol) look up here. My name is Owly McOwl. And it's my job to give you pointless information that you either already know, or don't care about. For example: You know you're ment to be going to the castle to meet with the princess, but some pointless information would be that she wears a pink dress.") And so on. Now I was a bit mean to Kaepora Gaebora, but I just wanna show that it exist more annoying creatures in the World of Zelda.

"Do you not want to not have to hear what I didn't just not say again?

Yes <--
No"

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I'm quite fond of Navi, actually. People get sucked into the whole "Navi's friggin' annoying" mindset and miss the whole meaning of her character, the whole thing where Link was the infamous boy without a fairy and finally he gets Navi as his faithful companion. I imagine that having come from that context Link's actually quite fond of his fairy companion.

For me personally, I became kind of fond of Navi's voice from the menu of the Collector's Editon GameCube disc (my introduction to Zelda, woohoo!) where on the main menu you could press Z to open and close a little dialogue box describing whichever game or video thingy you had selected. I would press Z repeatedly sometimes just for fun. :3 It's not all the same sound effect, either - you get the standard "hey" and "listen," but some of the less used ones like "what's up" are pretty cool to hear.

It's always the voice people claim to get annoyed with, too. I quite enjoyed her appearance on-screen, floating in and out of Link's hat. There's a kind of - oh, I don't know what to call it. There's something nice to seeing Navi float in and out of Link's hat like that while playing.

DarkHylian

Sage of Darkness
I'm quite fond of Navi, actually. People get sucked into the whole "Navi's friggin' annoying" mindset and miss the whole meaning of her character, the whole thing where Link was the infamous boy without a fairy and finally he gets Navi as his faithful companion. I imagine that having come from that context Link's actually quite fond of his fairy companion.

For me personally, I became kind of fond of Navi's voice from the menu of the Collector's Editon GameCube disc (my introduction to Zelda, woohoo!) where on the main menu you could press Z to open and close a little dialogue box describing whichever game or video thingy you had selected. I would press Z repeatedly sometimes just for fun. :3 It's not all the same sound effect, either - you get the standard "hey" and "listen," but some of the less used ones like "what's up" are pretty cool to hear.

It's always the voice people claim to get annoyed with, too. I quite enjoyed her appearance on-screen, floating in and out of Link's hat. There's a kind of - oh, I don't know what to call it. There's something nice to seeing Navi float in and out of Link's hat like that while playing.

Was she actually saying "What's up"? For some reason I always thought she said "Watch out". The only time I ever heard it was when I was fighting something. But I'm probably wrong.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Was she actually saying "What's up"? For some reason I always thought she said "Watch out". The only time I ever heard it was when I was fighting something. But I'm probably wrong.
I'm pretty sure she does say watch out. She says it when you target enemies all the time, and I doubt she's saying what's up to the enemies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom