• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mystery Dungeon

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
We didn't have a thread for this spinoff yet. So...who else has played it, what are your thoughts, what did you end up as, etc.

The very first time I played Red Rescue Team I was a totodile. I have also gotten skitty and charmander by answering the questions honestly, once I wanted torchic so I used my strategy guide and picked the sassy answers. When I played Explorers of Darkness, I got charmander. I was disappointed that the second Mystery Dungeons don't let you and your partner evolve until you've cleared even the post story mode dungeons, where as in the first ones, everyone can evolve after the main story. So Red Rescue Team is the one I play now.

The story is okay, but the "human turns into a pokemon to save the world" gets old, I wish they would do something different. Other than that, the storylines have enough twists and turns and emotion, so it's not that big of a deal.

It blew my mind when (Explorers of Darkness)
The dusknoir who appeared to be on your side turned out to be the villain, and the grovyle who looked like the bad guy turned out to be the good guy.

And I almost cried when (Red Rescue Team)
The gengar turns the whole town against you and you are exiled.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
No Mystery Dungeon game has ever provoked a lot of emotion out of me aside from frustration -- which was experienced quite frequently. The games themselves aren't difficult, but challenging aspects such as hunger added a certain degree of difficulty to them. I never played Sky, but I'm playing Gates to Infinity right now and this game pisses me off beyond belief. All of the characters make me want to shoot myself, and there's no challenge to the game whatsoever. The story so far isn't even interesting nor engaging (granted I'm about half way through, but if you haven't grabbed me by now, then you've completely lost me).

Everything prior to GtI was good, but the latest installment is absolute garbage.

I like the PMD series, but I do agree that Gates to Infinity wasn't all that great. Compared to the previous games, GTI felt pretty dumbed down. The first game had a pretty good story, but I can't say anything about the sequel since I don't have it yet. Overall, PMD's a great spin-off series despite GTI being a big disappointment.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Man. It's been years since I played Mystery Dungeon.

I own Blue Rescue Team, but I finished it years ago, and haven't really touched it since. I don't want to erase my beautiful Poké Pals, and I'm bored with all the side missions and everything, so... it just kind of sits there, haha.

I got Skitty the first and only time I answered all the questions. (I have a hasty nature, apparently.) My partner was a Chikorita just because I love Chikorita. All I really remember from that game was stealing from the shops you find in the dungeons for fun (and dying quite frequently because of it) and using Double Slap CONSTANLY. I feel -- or at least I felt back then -- like Double Slap was ridiculously overpowered in that game, haha. Because I was a kid, the story never really affected me at all, and I never felt much emotion in it. I barely remember it now. So I can't really comment on it in that regard.

It's funny. I should remember it better. Mystery Dungeon's strategy guide was the first strategy guide for any game that I ever owned. It's still today the only non-Zelda one I have (aside from Super Smash Bros. Brawl). I obviously loved it a lot then, but... eh. I'm just not so interested in Pokémon in general lately, so I guess that's why I don't play anymore. But I'm feeling the overwhelming urge to try it out again now that I've thought about it in this thread, haha.

The only one I ever played was Blue Rescue team when I was around 14 because I just wanted more Pokemon after Pearl, haha. I can't remember which one I got first, but I kept resetting until I got Pikachu because I liked Pikachu the most out of all of them (plus electric attacks really help for the three legendary birds you have to go through, not that I knew that at the time though). I picked Totodile as a partner, and didn't really recruit anyone but the Absol you automatically get.

I've heard good things about the more recent ones, but I don't think I'll ever play any of them. I'm good with the main series games.

Dragoncat

Since you all say Gates to Infinity sucks, I won't get it. Even though the using the 3ds camera to find things sounds interesting. Probably gimmicky though...

My first team was cleverly named 911, lol. I was a totodile with a treecko partner. Same name for when I was a skitty with a squirtle partner. Charmander with mudkip, Rainburn, then my little brother deleted that file because I left the game in the gamecube gameboy player, and there was Team Brushfire, torchic with chikorita. Rainburn was also my team name in Explorers of Darkness, with myself, Ruby the charmander, and Dewfang the totodile. My current Red Rescue Team playthrough is the same thing.

@Vergo: You get a magnemite automatically too.

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
Of all the spin-offs Pokemon has had, The Mystery Dungeons would have to be my favorite. The plot is interesting and engaging, even though it is a somewhat standard amnesiac setup. The gameplay is thrilling, having to take account of PP, hunger, limited storage HP, etc. The moves and Pokemon work differently than in the mainstream, so much to the point where Growl can be remotely useful and Ground-type attacks hit flying Pokes, which I found to be pretty refreshing. The music isn't half bad, either.

I almost always end up as a Charmander, other than a weird set of questions that insisted that I was a Riolu or Phanphy in Sky. I believe I usually go with Pikachu as a partner. Passing up Thunder Wave for some of those bosses is a bit too risky. For some reason, my partner is a Treeko in Blue. That was probably inspired by SuperSkarmory.

I never beat Blue/Red Rescue Team, despite me being in the last dungeon because of OHKO Silver Wind'd Treeko from an OP Venemoth. I beat Sky and Time, both of which were beautiful games. The post-game remain relatively untouched. Last thing I remember, one of my friends quicksaved in the Shaymin...meadow..mountain...dungeon...thing.

Never was all that interested in Gates of Infinity. I favored sprites over the 3D models and the nostalgia factor wouldn't apply. Then I heard about the deletion of Hunger and the standard No-PP attack was made nearly useless, so I dropped any ideas for a purchase.

Sheik

:the:
I've played most of the first one (for the DS), and while I did enjoy it, it just wasn't the game for me. I'm not a fan of randomly-generating dungeon-crawler types of RPG's, and the dungeons in this game left me pretty frustrated sometimes. The story wasn't at all bad; the exile part of the game was awesome. The music was decent, and there were some cool boss-ish fights in there, if I remember correctly. But the Mystery Dungeon series just isn't one you'll find me particularly interested in.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I know I've played at least Red Rescue Team a long time ago, but I don't remember much from it. What I do remember is that I really enjoyed it. I can't remember much about the levels and dungeons, but I remember I liked the story.
Was Red Rescue Team the one that had Grovyle come from the future because of something Dialga did? I can't remember for sure, but I know I played the one that had that and I really liked it.
I don't know if I would pick it up again, though. Probably not.

Dragoncat

Red/blue rescue team is the one with the gengar who's a huge dick...and the friend areas. And the final boss is Rayquaza in Sky Tower, which has music that has earned itself a spot on my playlist. That jog your memory? ;)

Gawd I just got KOed in Silent Chasm because I stupidly brought only one reviver seed...stupid poliwags, as a charmander, they're dangerous. Dewfang, why did you use water gun on a poliwag, that just heals it -_- Next time I'm going to go into his moves and deselect water gun. Hopefully I can rerecruit a farfetchd. I lost the one I recruited of course. Such is life...

Last edited:

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
My first thread 2 years ago was something like this :) And I'd say I love the first two series of games. The last one yeah it's 3D but it's practically the only thing that's cool about it. The first two games' strong point was the storyline. It was amazing and the last game does not have anything as exciting and moving, in fact it is quite cheesy. In terms of gameplay I don't know...
Explorers was so deep, it is my favorite game in this series to date, while this one was more action-oriented, the first game almost drove me to tears (no kidding).
The music is amazing, the most inspired music I've heard from a Pokemon game since Colosseum.
On the first game I played as Charmander and Pikachu as partner. In the second I played as Treecko and Meowth as partner. In the third I played as Axew and I'm not remembering my partner now because I'm having an amnesiac moment.

Dragoncat

Finally, after like 4 trips to Sinister Woods, I have managed to recruit a hoothoot...low level of course since I'm right before Magma Cavern, but that will soon change. I got teary eyed at the exile...again. Even though I knew it was coming. Truly a mark of a great game.

Yeah. I'm rambling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom