• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Multiple Dungeon Themes in Skyward Sword

In my article about dungeons from a little while back, I discussed dungeons having multiple themes. What this basically means is that dungeons shouldn't just be a simple building filled with random traps and enemies; they should have themes. But I also think that they shouldn't only have a single theme, but several. There's no reason to limit a dungeon to having a single overarching concept, because that makes the dungeon boring (and even unrealistic, in many cases). I cited the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time as one of the best examples of a multi-themed dungeon.

Well, with what we've seen of Skyward Sword, it really looks like the entire game is embracing multiple themes. I mean, let's recap the themes of the dungeons we've seen:

• Skyview Temple: Ancient building in ruins, overgrown with mushrooms and plants, infested with forest creatures like spiders, at a high altitude on a cliff with pits, filled with water and flood switches.
  • Fire Temple: ... Okay this one seems reasonably straightforward. lol Lava, fire, underground shrine.... uh, not a lot else that I can recall. Maybe if we see more of the dungeon. Did seem like there were a lot of mechanisms in it though.
  • Ancient Cistern: Water, swamp (lilypads), geysers. Pristine shrine, statues of men and deities. Underground catacombs. Darkness. Foul water. Hordes of undead. Deathtraps.
  • Desert Dungeon: Sand, ruins, tomb, technology, power sources. Black & white vs. rainbow powered. Minecarts.

With the Fire Temple seemingly having the least themes and the Ancient Cistern having the most, it's still clear that many of the dungeons in the game do not simply revolve around a single core concept.

How do you feel about this? Do you disagree with me that the dungeons seem very diverse? Any ideas on what other dungeons may be like or on themes these dungeons have that I've missed. Or are there dungeons I've missed entirely?

To be honest, this is one of the big reasons I'm excited about Skyward Sword right now. The dungeons just sound fun and interesting. Your thoughts?

I believe the Fire Temple was refered to as Earth Temple in the game.

I wonder if the name "Sky view" will actually mean that at somepoint in the game, we will get to the top of the temple and have a specific view at the sky or something like that, because the "Skyview" part of the name seems weird for just another Forest Temple.

Further I agree with the statement that the dungeons seem very diverse. I also think the Earth Temple will be more diverse than what we've seen so far and that all other dungeons in the game will be diverse as well.

Great post, Axle. Nintendo wasn't joking when they said the three old dungeon themes of Zelda would not be in Skyward Sword-Forest, Fire, and Water or is that false? The Earth Temple least disguises that it is indeed a Fire Temple. The Skyview temple really is just a Forest Temple. From the Deku Babas to Beetles to Mushrooms to Spider Webs this is manifest. The Ancient Cistern is a water dungeon at its core but highly mutilated. The Zombie Bokoblins, poisonous water, and spikes truly raise the dungeon to all new levels. And best of all, the boss has absolutely nothing to do with the water theme. Nintendo is genius!

I am really happy they are keeping the themes and adding more themes for the dungeons! I will have a blast in the Ancient Cistern
I want to see the underworld! "Drool" XD

vcdomith

Mad Artist
This multi-theme makes the dungeon non-monotonous, that actually is really great!!!, I'll make an exemple: Forest Dungeon(TP), this dungeon is really tiring(even it being the first one) the same thing:freeing monkeys, and it's from start to end. Sometimes I/We divide a dungeon in two halves, to beginning:presentation to the dungeon's theme and puzzles and the sub-boss, generally it is very boring, however, the other half, which is post sub-boss it's very diferent, intelligent puzzles using the new item acclaimed, new enemies, some "new themes" and of course the BOSS!!

I believe the Fire Temple was refered to as Earth Temple in the game.

I wonder if the name "Sky view" will actually mean that at somepoint in the game, we will get to the top of the temple and have a specific view at the sky or something like that, because the "Skyview" part of the name seems weird for just another Forest Temple.

Further I agree with the statement that the dungeons seem very diverse. I also think the Earth Temple will be more diverse than what we've seen so far and that all other dungeons in the game will be diverse as well.
Yes, they've seemingly changed the name to the Earth Temple, but there's no guarantee that's the real or proper name. I believe this was the same source that called the Skyview Temple the Forest Temple. I honestly don't think the name is going to stick, or perhaps it will just be the Fire Temple. I don't expect it to be the Earth Temple, in any case, unless there's sections of the temple that are quite different that I haven't seen yet.

Yeah I wonder about the title of the Skyview Temple. I do think this is probably the final name for the dungeon. I think it's likely simply because it's on a large cliff in Faron Woods, that it's open to the sky at many points (or at least I thought it was), and just its general closeness to the sky. Anyway, I hope there's a little more to the Fire/Earth Temple, but it looks like an awesome dungeon, one way or another.

I am really happy they are keeping the themes and adding more themes for the dungeons! I will have a blast in the Ancient Cistern
I want to see the underworld! "Drool" XD
Yeah at this point I think the Ancient Cistern may be my favorite dungeon. It looks so awesome and creepy in the catacombs. It's between it and the Fire Temple for me, I guess.

This multi-theme makes the dungeon non-monotonous, that actually is really great!!!, I'll make an exemple: Forest Dungeon(TP), this dungeon is really tiring(even it being the first one) the same thing:freeing monkeys, and it's from start to end. Sometimes I/We divide a dungeon in two halves, to beginning:presentation to the dungeon's theme and puzzles and the sub-boss, generally it is very boring, however, the other half, which is post sub-boss it's very diferent, intelligent puzzles using the new item acclaimed, new enemies, some "new themes" and of course the BOSS!!
I actually liked TP's Forest Temple though. I thought that, at least among that game's dungeons, it was one of the better ones. And I particularly liked how it was an actual, full, challenging dungeon for the game's first one, rather than something like Inside the Deku Tree, a dungeon that basically holds your hand. -.-

TheMinish

Hero of the Skies
Yeah, nice that the dungeons are doing this kind of thing. I especially like the theme of the Ancient Cistern, it is really unique. Really good article too Axel, I found it very interesting.

I wonder what other kinds of themes Nintendo have put in, I can't wait to find out myself. :)

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I had a thread talking about this a while back.. But it wasn't popular :P
I was talking about mixing themes in dungeons. Much like TP mixed the magnetic theme with the fire one in the goron mines.
But I was thinking that they go deeper.. i.e

A temple that has lava and water or maybe mizing a shadow temple with spirits, mirrors and light.. ?
It opens up new windows for puzzles, items, enemies and bosses.
It would be waaaaay better then to just focus on one theme.

I agree, And It's also one of the many reasons why I'm so psyched for this game ;)

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
Yes, they've seemingly changed the name to the Earth Temple, but there's no guarantee that's the real or proper name. I believe this was the same source that called the Skyview Temple the Forest Temple. I honestly don't think the name is going to stick, or perhaps it will just be the Fire Temple. I don't expect it to be the Earth Temple, in any case, unless there's sections of the temple that are quite different that I haven't seen yet.

Nintendo Power said it was called the Earth Temple, and since Fi mentioned the power of earth when you enter Eldin Volcano I'm inclined to believe this.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The dungeons don't seem diverse at all in regards to themes, though the core scenery definitely fits the bill of diversity. In my eyes, anyway. For Skyview, it seemed as if the overarching theme was "ruins" as in Ancient Ruins. Then the spiders and the webbing comes in, sectioned off from other 'themes'. That's just what I see.

The idea of dungeons having multiple themes is a great one, as it not only gives different emotions but also is grounds for enemy diversity on top of environmental changes. Sure, having a duality of Fire/Ice in one dungeon wouldn't seem to mix so well, but you would have to be on guard for...the entirety of said dungeon. And not just prepared against those darnt Fire Keese, but also on the watch for Freezards.

Note that I've no idea if freezards are confirmed for SS, I was just using them as an example.

skywardsword13

Dawn of the Final Day
them throwing the idea of multi- themed dungeons at us is making me so excited =D, but the problem with this is i can't think of any other themes for dungeons other than ones they've mixed/already used(already confirmed). can anyone else? i'm guessing around 7 or 8 dungeons in the game, but i can't think of what they'd do for the last three or four..... maybe an ice dungeon, or maybe one in the sky?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom