• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Motion Gaming. Yay or Nay?

What's your opinion of Motion Controls?

• Like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dislike it

• Don't care

• Total voters

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I dont really think Cfrock meant the word superior in the way that you are taking it

What's funny is that I never once used the word superior (or inferior). JJ likes to put words in people's mouths and then basically argue against himself. It's one of the reasons why I blocked his comments a long time ago.

but what im guessing he is saying is that in general, standard controllers are more responsive, you can sit and list what ever games you feel buttons were not responsive too, but when you compare the success of standard controls to that of motion controls, the ratio of games that worked correctly is in the favor of standard controls.

You guessed correctly. It's very difficult to mess up standard button controls and it only ever really happens when a game is made in a rush or made by a lazy developer. In comparison, it's very easy to mess up a control scheme which uses the Wiimote or Kinect or, heck, even the Playstation Eye Toy back in the day. Even Skyward Sword is victim to this and you only have to look at the problems numerous people report having with the game's controls to see it. Things like the cursor for the bow or gust bellows falling out of alignment, the sword swinging in the wrong direction, the Loftwing or swimmming controls going off (I have experienced many times when I tilted the Wiimote to the left and the silly bird started turning to the right). Motion controls are a lot more difficult to get right and relying on them too heavily can be a death blow for a game. How many people on this very forum have admitted to not finishing SS due to the contorls being too much of a barrier for them, not through difficulty but through technical issues? They can work, yes, and we have seen them work many times. But we have seen standard buttons work far more often and they are undeniably the more reliable control method.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
What's funny is that I never once used the word superior (or inferior). JJ likes to put words in people's mouths and then basically argue against himself. It's one of the reasons why I blocked his comments a long time ago.

Cute.

Except, again, your words implied that buttons were superior to motions.
Motion control takes options away from us.
When left to controlling certain aspects of a game with the motion aspect alone virtually every game makes use of the same simple functions: pointing it; shaking it; swinging it; titling it.
standard controls always out-do them because they never mess up and are always responsive.

What about these quotes doesn't suggest you think buttons are superior to motion? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Also, as far as Skyward Sword's controls go... Skyward Sword’s Controls Were Fine

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
While I myself don't have much problems with Skyward Sword's controls, I still get the occasional bug (wrong direction swing), and when I first played, I struggled because I was swinging it like an actual sword. I've done some fencing before and I did what felt natural...but it doesn't work. Only when I started swinging in the unnatural way the game wanted me to did I finally master the controls. And while I agree that it's definitely the gamer's fault if they can't properly use Skyward Sword's controls...I still think it's an ominous sign that even Miyamoto has struggled with these controls, whether it was his fault or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom