• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Motion Gaming. Yay or Nay?

What's your opinion of Motion Controls?

• Like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dislike it

• Don't care

• Total voters

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
I was wondering what everyones opinion on Motion Controls were.
Personally, I love motion gaming, it's a major part of why Skyward Sword was my absolute favorite game of all time. I love swinging the remote like it was a real sword and doing battle with monsters and saving the princess, and the whole time feel like I'm the one doing it. A lot of other games I've played the motion controls seemed gimmicky, but despite that Motion Controls remain my favorite type of controls.
So what is your opinion?

I don't like them, they don't immerse me they distract me, too many games can't get it right and a lot of the time the games seem desperate as if they're trying to crow bar the motion controls in rather than assigning buttons to certain actions. I don't hate motion controls but some can be far too fickle and really we can only rely on first party games to really get it right and even then games like NSMB and Kiby's Epic Yarn and even Metroid Other M kind of just kept their heads down and used the motion controls very sparingly. Sparingly and in moderation is the way it should be, there is nothing wrong with button commands and combinations, a lot of motion control seems to be a bit too shallow too i don't feel the depth in motion control heavy games that i would in most other games. Doing things just right can also be a hassle as motion controls can be fickle or have a little delay to them on lesser funded games and it can make something that should be simple, like turning on the spot a trial and this should never be the case.

Buttons for me.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I hated the motion controls in SS, that is why I never even went on to enter the first forest dungeon, or that part. I felt that my moves were unresponsive and late, thus why I didn't like it.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I don't care. I like Motion Controls, but I'd be content to see TP styled combat again.

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
Eh, I'm indifferent. The motion controls didn't drive me crazy in SS the way they did a lot of people, but it wasn't my favorite. There are a few things that I quite liked, like actually drawing the sword out of the pedestal, and the first time I fought Ghirahim in Sky View Temple I got all excited and jumped around the room pretending I was actually fighting with a sword. But the novelty wore off pretty quickly, and the discomfort caused by bizarre wrist angles isn't really worth it.

I don’t hate motion controls but I prefer traditional button controllers.

Motion controls have a steep learning curve and less precision than dual analog controllers. Ironically, motion controls offer players a smaller degree of movement in games. Motion control in its correct form is restricted to several primary directions. It’s an evolving medium.

I’ve played games offering both button and motion controls with motion controllers before and the experiences don’t compare. Would I rather play Super Smash Bros. Brawl with a Gamecube controller or Wii Remote? It’s the former every time. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Skyward Sword have the best motion controls on the market but I would rather blast Space Pirates and sail the high seas with the comfortable Gamecube controller layout.

I have no comment on the Kinect as I’ve never played with it before but I doubt it’s something I would enjoy.

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
To me, motion gaming is only fun for a while and with certain types of games. These games are the casual type game, such as Wii Sport or Mario Party. IMO, attaching motion controls to a hardcore game, no matter how good implemented, just drags down the whole experience. For example, I think the best use of it in gaming to date has been in Skyward Sword. With that being said, I would have enjoyed the game much more if it had used a traditional controller. Motion control is fun on certain type games, but if I buy a game I plan on playing for hours and not some party type game, just give me a traditional controller.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
I prefer the old fashioned, joy stick controlled game. I don't like motion controls for something that has to be so specific, like Metroid Prime 3 has them and they don't really work for me. I mean, they're ok, they aim, but my hand is so shaky I miss the target a lot of the times. You have to have a pretty steady hand to make them do what you want. And the motion controls for SS were good but I felt like they were flawed in some places. In fights like Girahim or Demise, I swung one way, but my sword swung another. And this didn't just happen occasionally it happened ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME. It wasn't my Wii or Wii Remote, because I play other games and the motion is fine, even Metroid Prime 3 handled a bit better. But it quickly became frustrating and annoying to rely so heavily on my ability to accurately slash left or right.

Probably just me, but I really don't like motion control. It's fun for a bit, but it quickly grows on my nerves.

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
I hated the motion controls in SS, that is why I never even went on to enter the first forest dungeon, or that part. I felt that my moves were unresponsive and late, thus why I didn't like it.

Yeah I totally agree. I managed on beating Skyward Sword, but because of motion controls, the overall experience was hurt. Even though SS did implement Wii motion plus better than any game out there, it STILL wasn't near as responsive as pressing buttons. I didn't hate SS, don't get me wrong, but I feel as if the game would have been remembered as a classic if it not for its choice of controls. Because it uses Wii Motion Plus, I see it being an overlooked title when looking back at the generation it was in.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I prefer a controller and buttons over any sort of motion sensing when it comes to video games.
Why trade precision for something clunky?
When it comes to menus or navigation, I don't care, but I am interested to see what Microsoft does with their Kinect 2.0. I don't want to control my games with hand gestures, but having voice recognition, and voice commands in menus would be nice (and cool).

Beyond that, as long as I can play games with a game pad and buttons (or keyboard/mouse), I'm fine.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
If I had to base my opinions on what I've seen thus far, I'd be on the fence for scrapping the project in terms of Zelda. It was going a good road, but it seemed to have lost some steam. I was extremely happy with how TP's motion controls panned out. The only complaint was the accidental spin attacks when trying to shield bash. Other than that, the controls met and exceeded my expectations, making it simple enough to learn the WM mechanics and still incorporating old button pushing mechanics. But SS came out, and while they were done really well, their controls didn't feel like they had anything too revolutionary about them. Don't get me wrong, I can clearly see the advancement between SS and TP, but the step SS took with motion controls didn't seem big enough. The biggest problem is probably variety. I can only swing the Wii-Mote and time the nunchuk so many times before I start feeling tedious. Motion controls require a bit more work than button pushing for the player, so if there isn't an atmosphere that makes performing the motions naturally, it can get tiresome. Give me something more than just the finishing blow and the spin attack to make me feel like I'm being creative/instinctive with my thought process. Of course, I'm smarter than the average Random Person (or atleast have a different opinion from him) so I know that there is huge potential for motion controls and thus don't just base my opinion solely on whether or not it's Tuesday. While SS didn't take a huge leap, it still made progress forward. I'm constantly waiting for the day when virtual reality is real for games. Not to mention, games like Wii-Sports and others are proof that sophisticated motion controls can really enhance gameplay.

So I don't particularly need motion controls, especially in my Zelda game, but I see the huge potential that they have. The key to them is to not make them feel gimmicky, but that the controls are a natural part of moving forward in gaming. If Nintendo brings back SS's motion controls, but focus on more ways to apply them to gameplay instead of just more ways to apply them to the game, then I'd probably be crying over the beauty the game would produce. Can you imagine TP's sword moves with SS's motion controls? Epic.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
I'm stunned by the fact so many people liked TP's Motion Controls. To me they were absolutely gimmicky and unpolished. SS's while admittedly not perfect, were SO much better imo, I never had a problem with any late responses, at least none of any note. TP on the other hand were awful, wag it around and Link swings his sword in a random direction, there was no strategy at all. You could argue that the hidden skills were the strategy, but those weren't necessarily motion based. So... yeah those are my thoughts. I haven't played too many games with Motion Controls but of the few I've played (with the exception of TP's) I've enjoyed the controls.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Motion controls aren't any good. There's no such thing as true 1:1 gameplay, at least in these days. There's always a (inherent) delay to IRL motions to what the game registers. It's necessary or else you'll have a borked experience as soon as the boot the thing on. For that lag to exist means I'll have a terrible time. 500ms is barely noticeable (500ms is the WM+ delay, for example), but it impacts the gameplay - how I'm playing the game - and creates a negative experience for me. I hate motion controls with all my heart. I'd much rather have buttons, since they're instantaneous and not crappy. :I

/rage

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I find the hate towards motion controls childish. Yes, I'm coming right out and being that blunt. The only reason people don't like them is because they're different than what they're used to. We as gamers are used to "standard" controls. They've been around since gaming's origin. It's engraved into our brains how to use them. Motion controls are not. They're something we have to train our brains to learn. What people seem to forget, though, is that's exactly what we had to do when first learning how to use "standard" controls. No one -- NO ONE -- knew exactly how to use a controller when picking it up for the first time. That is a fact. Every gamer started out as a n00b who sucked at the games they played because they didn't understand the nuances of the controllers and typical game mechanics. Most gamers quickly got the hang of things, though, and gradually got better. It's the same thing with motion controls. They've been around for a while, sure, but they didn't hit the mainstream until the Wii came along.

Now that's not to say all motion control games are difficult to get used to. The standard Wii Remote generally only required simple motions. That still doesn't change the fact that we as gamers haven't constantly used them since our childhood. They feel alien to us because they're "different". That doesn't make them any less of a proper control scheme as buttons, though. At all. Red Steel 2 and Skyward Sword have proved this with their flawless implementation of the Wii MotionPlus. Motion controls are every bit as worthy of being a part of gaming as "standard" controls are, and I'm sick of people saying otherwise.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I find the hate towards motion controls childish. Yes, I'm coming right out and being that blunt. The only reason people don't like them is because they're different than what they're used to. We as gamers are used to "standard" controls. They've been around since gaming's origin. It's engraved into our brains how to use them. Motion controls are not. They're something we have to train our brains to learn. What people seem to forget, though, is that's exactly what we had to do when first learning how to use "standard" controls. No one -- NO ONE -- knew exactly how to use a controller when picking it up for the first time. That is a fact. Every gamer started out as a n00b who sucked at the games they played because they didn't understand the nuances of the controllers and typical game mechanics. Most gamers quickly got the hang of things, though, and gradually got better. It's the same thing with motion controls. They've been around for a while, sure, but they didn't hit the mainstream until the Wii came along.
I agree with JJ here completely. I do believe it's indeed the fact we're used to the standards controls a bit too much so every change can get a bit different or maybe difficult to handle. I only used them in SS because that's the only game I bought in which you have to use the motion plus and I didn't face any dificulties. In the beginning I had to get used to it but that took me only like 10 minutes. So I say yay

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom