• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Motion Controll over button smashing concerns.

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
I absolutely HATE Skyward Sword's motion controls, and would like the game a lot more if it didn't have them. Twilight Princess (for Wii) has the perfect blend of motion controls and buttons, where you still need to swing the Wii Remote to swing your sword, but it doesn't matter how you swing it.

I absolutely HATE Skyward Sword's motion controls, and would like the game a lot more if it didn't have them. Twilight Princess (for Wii) has the perfect blend of motion controls and buttons, where you still need to swing the Wii Remote to swing your sword, but it doesn't matter how you swing it.

If it doesn't matter how you swing it, then you're swinging your arm for no reason. In SS you had to make deliberate, conscious movements, like you would with an actual sword. That's why I enjoyed it.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I was disappointed in SS, but for reasons unrelated to the motion controls. In fact by far the best part of SS was the motion controls. The game delivered what I expected in that realm.

Is it a shame that BotW didn't have motion controls? And should they be featured in the rest of the sires?
The short answer: No.
The long answer: At this point I don't see Nintendo going back to full motion controls for Zelda. I think this is for the best though, many people didn't like the motion controls and the type of combat they have featured in BotW is best suited for button controls. I love it though and it is completely practical to add motion controls that work along side a traditional button scheme. Mostly as an option for aiming, such as in OoT3D and TPWii.

This thread needs another SS defender.
Skyward Sword was designed around its controls, so it would be tough for a game to offer both types of controls, unless the button controls were better optomized for directional input. Even if that were the case, it wouldn't be a very popular design decision, I'm sure. But this would be my personal dream in a future Zelda game, as it makes the combat a much more rich and rewarding experience like no other 3D Zelda does.

While I was playing the game I looked for places where it would require motion controls. I didn't see anything - at least up until where I gave up. I am sure there can be substitution in pretty much anywhere. It might make the game easier, but that can be adjusted with other balancing. Best of both worlds is to just allow people to play with either.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
While I was playing the game I looked for places where it would require motion controls. I didn't see anything - at least up until where I gave up. I am sure there can be substitution in pretty much anywhere. It might make the game easier, but that can be adjusted with other balancing. Best of both worlds is to just allow people to play with either.
Not motion controls, but more specifically directional input. Most Zelda games offer the choice of horizontal slash or verticle slash (and variations of jumping and spinning in those directions). Just two choices. Skyward Sword, however, offers at least 8 (left, right, up-right), etc, and enemies and puzzles all over the game are based around that.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Not motion controls, but more specifically directional input. Most Zelda games offer the choice of horizontal slash or verticle slash (and variations of jumping and spinning in those directions). Just two choices. Skyward Sword, however, offers at least 8 (left, right, up-right), etc, and enemies and puzzles all over the game are based around that.

However, that same focus turned combat into a joyless mini-puzzle. Enemies seemed less exciting to fight, because you had to carefully position the Wiimote (lest the motion controls **** about) and take a slash. It wasn't... exciting. Combat should be combat and puzzles should be puzzles.

SS probably would have worked better if I didn't buy a £2 motion control from online. A built in one would have probably worked decently.

Maffiline

nirorlei
I really enjoyed SS motions, the aggravating parts were humurous to me and I'm also not a person to get super frustrated when controls bug out. On the other hand, I'm quite happy that BotW does not have/depend on motion controls for main stabbing/defending and instead for things like shooting the bow and arrow or moving the camera around when you use the Sheika tablet. SS was one of my favorite games, I thought it was very beautiful, regardless of the motion controls for hack and slash. BotW feels like OoT/MM 3D on a handheld, and lets it feel like a handheld than a Wii-upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom