• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Motion Controll over button smashing concerns.

I don't know if I am the only one with the concern of holding the master sword in your hand and the sheild in the other. Being able to swing your sword eight different directions seeking an open spot for an attack. While lifting your shield blocking an oncoming attack with a quick flick of your left hand.
With that being said I feel like Zelda took a big step backwards ditching the motion controls. I don't know how others feel about losing full control over the sword and shield but if BotW world was in play along side an improved version of that feeling of being in full Controll of the sword and shield I'd be one happy Zelda fan. Any other thoughts on the topic? Agree or disagree? I'd like to know your opinion about the motion control. Do you feel like they took a step backwards or are you relieved to be back with the traditional control style?

The motion controls felt like the same mini game over and over. It didn't really add anything interesting in how it plays, and took away from how cinematic combat looked and felt in Twiligh Princess. And it's not like past 3D zelda's lacked depth in the combat, Twilight Princess even had this tricks you had to time right etc. The combat in BotW also looks far from a button mashing fest.

Im happy BotW is button control. I frikking HATED SS's motion controls. They were a pain and only served to remind me i was playing a game.

Plus they were forced into everything and everything was designed around it, including enemy design where some had literal glowing 'slash here to defeat' lines.

Calibration was a pain too. I dont mind aiming with gyro for the bow for BotW. I'm down with that, its responsive on the likes of PS4 and WiiU more than it ever was on the Wii. But anything more is a big no.

I dont think the motion controls of SS or the Wii generation as a whole were great and i dont want to see that level of intrusion again in any game. So i am very happy BotW is button control. Id not be excited at all if BotW was using SS style control with the joy cons and i'd probably not even buy it or a Switch.

BotW's button controls make for more complex and responsive control over Link. Im sure its gonna be in depth and fun. Something SS and motion controls werent for me at all.

With the difficulty BotW seems to have you can no longer run and mash B to take out an enemy, because they'll hit you and kill you. I saw Zeltik get 1-hit KO'd by a Blue Bokoblin just because he rushed in and tried to spam B.

BotW is going to need much more precision than previous Zelda games and way way way more than SS and motion controls ever needed or had.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
You could defeat enemies in SS by just flailing the wiimote around. Jimmy Fallon demonstrated this on his show against a stalfos when he was trying the game.

I think ditching the motion controls was a great idea. It put off loads of people who favour traditional controls which have been tried and tested for years and quite simply work better.

I guess I'm one of the few who never once had a problem with SS's motion controls. They felt fluid and natural to me, and always worked. That being said, I really don't mind at all going back to button controls for BotW. They can provide some unique combat strategies that don't really work with motion controls. For example, I loved the secret forward roll/lunge sword move in TPHD, which wouldn't feel the same with motion controls. I hope they implement some hidden moves like that in BotW.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I had no problems with motion controls in Skyward Sword, but honestly I'm indifferent to them not being in Breath of the Wild. Gyro controls for the bow and camera are great and while I'm not sure if that's a thing in BotW or not I really hope it is. BotW's combat system looks fantastic and very calculated. You can't button mash in this game, you'll get yourself hurt and you'll destroy your weapon.

I've been playing through Skyward Sword again recently, and I've kind of got mixed feelings about the motion controls... I like the idea, and they're great when they work, but when they don't it can be annoying.
The multi-direction attacks needed quite stiff movements to be properly detected... if you use more fluid movements (as would be natural) it would often detect the reverse movement as you prepared to swing as the actual swing itself, causing Link to swing in the opposite direction to what you wanted.
With aiming, flying, etc. it would calibrate it's orientation straight away, so if you didn't have the controller in the ready position, then it would often send you in the wrong direction until you recalibrated... or you'd need to keep the controller where it was, which could limit your movement.

Personally, I could do without the directional attacks, but the option to give the controller a flick to use the sword or shield wouldn't be a bad idea, and could easily be used alongside traditional button controls for those who don't want to use it.
And with the aiming, etc. I think they had it right on the 3DS, allowing either control method, or a combination of the two to be used... I quite liked doing large movements with the control stick, and fine tuning with the gyro controls... I did still have occasional calibration issues, but as I wasn't moving the 3DS very much, this was nowhere near as bad as with SS.

I agree with the 3DS style aiming. I also use the gyro for persice aiming.

I pray that motion controls will never be put into a Zelda game ever again!

Or at the very least, give us a option to use them or not.

If the motion controls were done well in a Zelda game but they were not.
In TP it was just flick flick. A standard controller would have done the same thing better.
In SS the way the motion controls were though out were great but they simply did not work. Broken for much of the game. Much of the time the motion controller did not do what you needed it to.

I am glad motion controls are not in BotW. Other games can use the motion controls.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Unfortunately Skyward sucked big balls because it was a big game of simon says, none of the battles except Demise were very incricate and that isn't the fault of motion controls but to the combat style that oh no muh decided to push for. If they understanded out to make a good title then Skyward motion control would be amazing but alas that wasn't to be.

For Breath o fthe wind, it would be good to motion control only for the novelty. simon says is not combat, sorry. and with the bad processors in Wee Woo and Swatch, i can comfortably say that neither would do good with motion control.

So button control is your option.

Don't forget to like and subscribe and share this fvideo on reddit and facebook

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Can't say I miss the motion controls.

The need for precise strikes in Skyward Sword limited swordplay to point-at-the-weak-spot-and-slash. It required a little more thought, but it never felt fun or exciting. I wouldn't call Breath of the Wild's approach button mashing per se, since it's possible to have button-based combat that requires a great deal of though (Dark Souls, anyone?). It's less about the control scheme used and more how the game uses it.

Last edited:

Scribear

Your Best Friend (rupee free)
The fight with :ghirahim: was annoying... and drove me nuts. I couldn't handle any more fights like that.

Also, what really filled me with rage about SS is the harp. I could never get that stupid Pumpkin girl strum along crap. I hated it. Plz never again.

Gave up on SS last night. Couldn't get past the stupid flying part where I need to hit the 10 targets in 90 seconds. As a result, my Wii remote/chuck was smashed into pieces and the game purged from my Wii U's hard drive.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
This thread needs another SS defender.

It sucks that it didn't work well for a lot of people, but for me, I absolutely loved the motion controls. It takes a while getting used to swinging the Wii-remote without accidentally moving the nunchuk, and actually getting the directions you want, but once you're decent, the payoff is awesome, especially when fighting girahim, stalfos, lizalfos, demise, and similar fights where it actively punishes you for resorting to wild waggling. I guess, if I had one complaint, it was that the nunchuk cord was too short, and it didn't let even people shorter than I am hold it at arm's length. The Nintendo Switch solves this problem easily.

Skyward Sword was designed around its controls, so it would be tough for a game to offer both types of controls, unless the button controls were better optomized for directional input. Even if that were the case, it wouldn't be a very popular design decision, I'm sure. But this would be my personal dream in a future Zelda game, as it makes the combat a much more rich and rewarding experience like no other 3D Zelda does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom