• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

More Pronunciation Fun: Mabe

How do you pronounce 'Mabe"

• "mayb"

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • "mah-beh"

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I tend to pronounce it as "mah-beh" because I didn't know what the Japanese name was and that's how the syllables look like they should be pronounced if it was a Japanese word to me. However, NOA have a bad habit of spelling names phonetically rather than transliterating the original Japanese names. Mabe Village in Japanese is メーベの村 (meebe no mura) of which "mayb" would be a more accurate audio representation of the pronunciation.

Me, I tend to lean towards the what would be the Japanese pronunciation of a particular romanization (Gerudo instead of Jerudo, for instance), But there are a few like Mabe and Farore that got "grandfathered in" before I learned any Japanese.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I've always used mayb for the pronunciation.
When games don't have voice acting for anything, I usually say things how I think they're pronounced, usually following English phonetic rules.

In the past I would have instinctively said 'mayb' simply because the spelling is similar to a lot of other words that would be pronounced in a similar way (e.g. made), but I've since learned that that's often not correct, so I've gotten into the habit of pronouncing words I'm unfamiliar with by breaking them up into syllables, as that's typically more likely to be correct... hence I'd now go with 'mah-beh'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom