• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda More "Come On"?

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
So in WW, Link yells actual words when calling statues/Medli/Makar in those certain dungeons. I got to thinking about some other games I played that have the main character or companion talking during gameplay, but through the entire game, not just a few parts. In the Legend of Spyro trilogy, both Spyro and his dragonfly friend Sparx will do this: "Try not to die again" (Sparx) "All right, let's do it" (Spyro) after you die and respawn. In Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, Layle taunts a bit during battle: "Over here!" "Haha!"

Do you think the Zelda series could benefit from this? It would get rid of the false belief that Link can't talk...I mean seriously, what do you think the interactions with NPCs are? Just because a character's dialogue isnt shown, doesn't mean it isn't there. And what do you think these little voice clips should be? Should they be during fights, or after you die and respawn, or both? Should it be just Link, or the companion as well?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Nah. I'd rather not see it again. It annoyed me a lot in Wind Waker for some reason...

Dragoncat

Yeah I can see how it could be annoying. But it would probably be a welcomed addition, some people want full voice overs, others want voice overs in just cutscenes, etc. It would help flesh out Link a bit too, depending on the lines, he could be a witty smartass like he was in the cartoon, or more humble and respectful. Like in a stealth section, you get caught by the guards: "Gods damnit!" or "Okay...you got me." Keeping getting caught would be annoying enough with or without voices, but yeah.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Not really. I am pretty sure that those were the only words ever spoken by Link and it ruins the gameplay. The entire point of Link's silence is to pretty much be a blank character, of which the player put themselves in his spot. Adding more dialogue on his part would ruin it. For other characters..eh. I mean, I imagine a battle of which a character talks, and the only one I can imagine talking is Ganondorf. But, that could ruin the whole "final battle" feeling in my opinion.

I've always hated it when fans seem to forget and/or dismiss the fact that Link talks; his dialogue is simply inaudible. I mean, for Pete's sake, the responsive text was even made green to denote that Link is speaking in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Remember kids, when an NPC asks or requests something of you (Link) and you comply or decline it, THAT'S LINK SPEAKING, M'KAY?

At any rate... I think it would be neat to revisit the concept of brief phrases like those shown in The Wind Waker; just a little bit should get'er done. Perhaps Link could yell "Take this!" or something to that effect... :/

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Nope, Link will never talk in actual voice or text. It would ruin some of his best aspects and set a standard for ruining nostalgia. Simply no.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Not really. I am pretty sure that those were the only words ever spoken by Link and it ruins the gameplay. The entire point of Link's silence is to pretty much be a blank character, of which the player put themselves in his spot. Adding more dialogue on his part would ruin it. For other characters..eh. I mean, I imagine a battle of which a character talks, and the only one I can imagine talking is Ganondorf. But, that could ruin the whole "final battle" feeling in my opinion.
Personally I don't consider Link a blank character anymore. He used to be in the early games, but he's not anymore; all of the recent games have given Link a personality distinct from that of the player. I feel the argument that Link is a "link to the player" and thus can't have dialogue is an outdated argument given that he has become his own character in every recent game.

Either way I want the game to either go full voice acting for everyone, including Link, or no voice acting at all besides Link's grunts, like it is now. I don't really think there is a satisfying in between. Sure, his "come on!" was cute, but I'm glad it was limited. Link having minor dialogue clips in a non-voiced game would be just weird.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
It's just not good for Nintendo characters to talk. Metroid Other M, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wand of Gamelon. . . the list of stupid things goes on and on.

This is terrible but i didnt even register that Link was breaking his silence in WW, he said it, i thought nothing of it and if it were to happen again i'd still probably think nothing of it. So go for it, Navi's main pull for me is that she had mastered english, for some reason her speaking back in the day impressed me. Midna speaks english too if you unjumble it.

Dragoncat

Wolf Sage said:
I've always hated it when fans seem to forget and/or dismiss the fact that Link talks; his dialogue is simply inaudible. I mean, for Pete's sake, the responsive text was even made green to denote that Link is speaking in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Remember kids, when an NPC asks or requests something of you (Link) and you comply or decline it, THAT'S LINK SPEAKING, M'KAY?
This a million times.

Spirit of Rutela said:
This is terrible but i didnt even register that Link was breaking his silence in WW, he said it, i thought nothing of it and if it were to happen again i'd still probably think nothing of it.
Don't feel bad. I knew about the come on before I played WW, and when I actually heard it...it sounded more like a generic yell. I was disappointed.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
I like it when it shows that link is talking, like when he explains the surface world to Groose in SS and makes hand gestures and moves his mouth so you know he is talking. But I would like for link to stay a silent hero, at least to our ears :)

Zelda: Wand of Gamelon. . .

Yeah, Link's voice was terrible in that game... Good thing it wasn't one of Nintendo's works...

Also, a sizable handful of characters in TWW—aside from Link—boasted a little voice clip or two. A few examples include KoRL's "Hey."; Medli's somewhat indistinct "Wait!"; and Tetra's "Come ooon!"... King Daphnes can even be heard speaking what can be assumed to be [ancient] Hylian given the context. I'd like to see the return of something like this—in moderation, of course... ;j

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well at least keep the mike away from Link. I wouldn't put in any actual voices, but we can't destroy his character. Remember what happened to Samus in MOM.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Let him speak, have the typical JRPG-to-English lines such as "Come on!" , "This is it!" , and "Haha!"

I would prefer for them to be in-battle commands after executing tough commands. Just think, if he said "Your end has come!" after finishing a Fatal Blow in Skyward Sword! Or, if he lost a minigame, a nice "How could I lose" would be fitting.

I have no problems with the "Come on!" in TWW...in fact I wish there were more voice commands. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom