• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mobile Zelda?

Mobile phone Zelda?

• Yep

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Only if it gets good reviews first.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
With Nintendo bringing Pokémon and Mario to the mobile gaming market, what do you think is the possibility of a mobile phone Zelda game? What would they do to bring the world of Hyrule to such a game?

I think with the way they're going now, there is certainly a chance, and I'd even go as far as to say I expect one in the next few years. I really don't know what to expect, though. Pokémon Go works by traveling the real world, and Mario Run is a platformer. Neither of these is really something I expect them to do with the Zelda series. Mobile phone games are usually based around quick gameplay that you can do in a few minutes while you're waiting for the bus or sitting on the John. The problem is that Zelda hardly fits that style. Most good puzzles in the Zelda series last at least as long as the average session of playing Angry Birds. What do you guys think?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Mobiles will probably replace handheld consoles once they start getting the games. I would imagine a phone Zelda could be similar to phantom hourglass in terms of gameplay with the touch to move mechanic.

I don't think the touch screen focused phones of today are good for Zelda games. I mean, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were already controversial with their own touch screen controls, and adding potential 'monetisation' gimmicks like free to play crap on top of that would go down about as well as a lead balloon.

And yeah, the gameplay style isn't really suited for 30 second or so sessions on the bus/train/whenever you have a short break. So keep Zelda games on actual consoles for the time being.

Feverish

Source of stink
I'd rather they leave the real Zelda games to real gaming systems, while mobiles get a few quick, fun little Zelda games. Like what I have no idea but I'm no game designer

If we did get a Zelda game for mobile devices, I'd expect something similar to Captain Toad meets Monument Valley, especially considering Captain Toad Treasure Tracker was originally a Zelda spinoff concept; it would focus more on fun and quick yet satisfying puzzles instead of the complex combat that would be easer to create on consoles.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
Mobiles will probably replace handheld consoles once they start getting the games. I would imagine a phone Zelda could be similar to phantom hourglass in terms of gameplay with the touch to move mechanic.
God,I hope they don't replace the handheld market. Systems like the New 3DS really prove to me that a device dedicated to gaming pushes the boundaries of what is possible, whereas phone games prove that the populace is willing to settle for five minute explosion filled games with no substance.

As for a touch control game, that might work. I could see a series of short puzzle-based stages making up a bigger game.

If we did get a Zelda game for mobile devices, I'd expect something similar to Captain Toad meets Monument Valley, especially considering Captain Toad Treasure Tracker was originally a Zelda spinoff concept; it would focus more on fun and quick yet satisfying puzzles instead of the complex combat that would be easer to create on consoles.
That's basically what I was saying above. This idea would probably sell well.

If it works well for the platform a la Pokemon Go, then yeah. I seriously doubt they'll just make a normal Zelda game on mobile, so I'd be very happy if they did it.

It's hard to fathom a legit Zelda game on a touch screen, though there have been many Zelda clones, some of them half decent, released on mobile. To me, the touch controls are just too sloppy. Perhaps a control scheme similar to Spirit Tracks could be employed, but I think the screen size on some devices may be too small for that to be comfortable.

More likely, they will release some sort of "light" minigame with a Zelda theme. Perhaps something like Picross Zelda, or a a collection of Zelda-like puzzles that are all playable with a touch screen (endless block sliding puzzles? no thanks).

I like to add games to my physical collection so no, please no mobile Zelda games. I think they should focus on dedicated HW as the execution will always be better anyway.

I hope they don't replace the handheld market. Systems like the New 3DS really prove to me that a device dedicated to gaming pushes the boundaries of what is possible, whereas phone games prove that the populace is willing to settle for five minute explosion filled games with no substance.

It's probably inevitable that dedicated gaming devices will disappear sometime in our lifetimes. All-in-one media devices have combined TV, radio, phone, music player, camera, internet access, etc. already. Phones aren't powerful enough yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom