• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Miyamoto on technology in the new game

Do you like advanced technology in Zelda

• Yes

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • its ok

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No its blasphemy

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
To be honest, for the most part I let Mr. Aonuma take care of the project and I was very surprised to see a smartphone-like device in the game. (laughs) At first, I said to myself: “Can we really do that?” But effectively, since the first Zelda, we have thought about including technological elements and make Link a link between eras through a program. Now that programming has made huge progress and rendered graphics are more and more beautiful, we thought it would be appropriate for the expression of technological ideas. — Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto

So it seems it was Aoununas idea to include more technological elements in the new Zelda. This was something I suspected from the fact Miyamoto stepped back from this one.

I personally think it is a great thing. I don't think Zelda should be confined to any particular era. I've heard people whinging in the past about Zelda having to be a medieval fantasy 'anything else is untrue to the series' but I have never held that opinion. It's not true to even say that it is a medieval fantasy series in the first place there has been technology in the series from very early on and the original games were post apocalyptic so they weren't going to be that advanced technologically. Personally I think they can work the series in any era they wanted and I hope we continue to see new things like technology appearing.

Anyone here love the technological direction too?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I love how Links tablet is wayyyy cooler than the smart phone in Watch Dogs 2. Hahahaha

But anyway, I am also glad that technology is so prevalent as well. It really gives a lot of mystery to the game, and really makes everything more juxtaposed. Which is awesome.

I love how you can use the Sheikah Slate as a scanner as well.

My only complaint(this truly is a small one), is that the magic meter takes a hit on this one. There will no longer be a magic meter for cool new items. But then again, items running on a timer is cool too, because I get to use the Sheikah Slate more often.

I honestly don't really see it as advanced technology like Portal, Gunvolt, Star Trek, or Robobot or anything, I see it more as "magic" technology. The hues everything gives off as well as how they're still in a sort of medieval world, not to mention some of the Sheikah Slate's abilities being reminiscent of past Zelda items like the Ice Rod and the Magnetic Gloves, it all just screams magical influence.

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I was thinking the same thing as @The Hero of Legend in that this seems to be some sort of magical technology, not some ancient lost incredibly advanced stuff.

But like it has been said, technology has already existed in the series. Just taking the beamos enemies as an example, they shoot lasers from their eyes. I mean, the game is still a fantasy game, but that doesn't mean that it can't have some "modern" additions.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I really like the inclusion of technology. As others have said, it seems much more like a mix of magic and tech and isn't totally sci-fi. Stuff like that is pretty cool and is pretty versatile as well as far as design potential and usage potential goes. The way they're handling it in this game feels very creative and enjoyable to me. Much of the technology isn't all that different from what we've seen in previous games anyway. Warping has almost always existed in some form, the Guardians are basically more advanced Beamos on octopus legs... It's not that different from stuff we've had previously.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
Overall I think it's rather intriguing. As others have said, the game seems to feature a marriage of both magic and futuristic technology. While I still find it jarring to see Link wake up from a cryochamber (type...thing....) I'm much more curious to know what the story is behind this apparently ancient technology and it's relevance to the story and the lore of Zelda.
It all appears to be of Shiekah make, and this is very strange given that the race has never been depicted as being particularly technologically advanced before, but what this entails we have yet to see any clue of. Certainly though, it seems to suggest that the race will be taking a spotlight in the story which they did not have before.

I don't mind some technology in the games, but I don't want them getting too crazy with it. For example, it would be really stupid if they made Hyrule into a modern city with skyscrapers where Link chases bad guys on a motorcycle through the streets. I think the series should mainly stick to medieval fantasy and magic with technology sprinkled in.

D

Deleted member 81859

I like the magic/steampunk style of tech.

The iphone (that's what it is, you all know it) is a huge disconect for me. I don't know, it feels totally out of place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom