• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Miss the N64 Devices?

(If this was already posted you can remove)

Okay! Hi everyone do any of you miss the N64 devices?
Or do you still prefer to use cds for video games?
Like for a while I was thinking Cds are good sometimes but to my knowledge they scratch easily unless you put blankets of tissue paper at the bottom of the cd. :lol:

I had a couple Gamecube Cds and they are scratched like crazy! There is this store in town that does not fix Gamecube Cds but Wii Cds and any other Cd to date!
The N64 Devices (That is what I call them XD)
Never scratched or got ruined in anyway.. unless one of you poured juice on them but anyway what are your thoughts about the N64 device coming back?

You mean cartridges...?
I prefer CDs. You can never store as much data on a cart than you can on a CD. and for that reason I do not want them back.

Last edited:

MasterLink209

The new guy :)
By look, feel and just about everything but space, I like the cartridges better.
However the CD can store so much more then a cartridge...
Making me like the CD better. I hope that Wii U cds are done like PSP cds (Hard to scratch).

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I like the discs a lot more, also mainly because they can store more data, but I miss the games of the Nintendo 64. A lot of great titles descended from that console. Thank goodness for the Wii's virtual store, though. :)

@xmajorax : Thank you! For what they are actually called it took me a while to find out what they were called I had N64 so many years ago that I forgot the name... Teehee.. Anyway what if you could store more on cartridges? if they like updated them to fit better and longer games on them.

@MasterLink209: I have not thought of them using a sort of psp type of Cd? (I have never had a PsP before XD..Nintendo fan to the end!...LOL)

@Thareous: I miss some games but I am glad most of them are getting remaid on the 3Ds.. XD

What if they made an up to date perfect Cartridge? Then would you want them more then Cds?

I would probobly still prefer CDs. I like having all the CD cases lined up in a shelf for easy access for some OCDish reason. With carts, developers alway forget to put side-labels so you're forceed to pull each of them out to you can see the front so you can find out which one is the game you want.

Of course, sometimes this isn't the case. There may be side-labels, or the also may come in a case. But CD's will always come in a case.

It's a pretty stupid reason, but in reality, it doesn't bother me if it's Cart or CD. As long as the game is worth playing.

Big Octo

=^)
I prefer games on Cds, because the hold much data that a cartridge can barely compete with. However, cartridges are somewhat nostalgic, saying as they were the early ways of playing a game.

As for your second question, I would still prefer discs, mainly for easier storage and use. Nowadays, it seems like a cartridge would create unneeded space for a console.

@Big Octo: I love Cartridges for nostalgic purposes also ^^
For the second question maybe they can make them smaller like memory cards and you get to put it in a game cover 83

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
I still play my N64, so I can't say I 'miss' it. I will always prefer cartridges over discs, not only because of how reliable they are, but because I grew up with clunky cartridges and tapes everywhere. I don't really like discs... I mean, yeah, they're compact and hold more data, but they're so damn fragile and can be finicky.

The only benefits that cartridges have are the load times. With cartridges, there are absolutely no load times whatsoever, but CDs have WAY more things that are better than cartridges. So I'm gonna have to go with CDs are better. Although I do miss carts.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Yeah yeah, CD's are better then cartridges but, its truly has a different feeling. Maybe young gamers these days would not understand that.

1. Blow the dust off the cartridge!
2. Jam it in the console!
3. Power button!

Satisfaction!

Yeah yeah, CD's are better then cartridges but, its truly has a different feeling. Maybe young gamers these days would not understand that.

1. Blow the dust off the cartridge!
2. Jam it in the console!
3. Power button!

Satisfaction!
That is exactly would I miss about them! Cds are so fragile and they are nothing like the Cartridges I delt back with in the day! :yes:

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
I love playing CD based games, as they hold more and thus a game can hold more content. But I love the nostalgia and feel of a vintage cart game. I have a stack of NES, SNES, and N64 games on my desk right now (for work purposes, mind you. I have to test them to see if they work, that way my boss can put them up on ebay for the store).

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
Cartridges, unlike disks, have very short loading times. In Ocarina of Time on the N64 saving is literally instant but on the Gamecube (Collector's Edition/Master Quest) it takes about five seconds. While disks can hold more memory and make games look better I find that cartridges are more nostalgic and allow for less waiting time. It's a tough decision but I prefer cartridges. Both of them break after a while, disks scratch and cartridges could malfunction if you spill a drink on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom